Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 03:37 PM

339 posts, read 513,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I don't really think billboards are keeping people away from Oakland at all or that it really makes any sort of difference. Doesn't really keep people away or affect other CA cities either like SF, LA, and SD so I don't really see the big deal you're making with them.
As a resident and citizen, I find them aesthetically offensive. I may be outnumbered by those numbed over time by proliferation of garish advertising, but I'll still speak my mind. I'm obviously not alone as many cities and states have banned billboards over the years.

Quote:
I don't mind street murals/street art, but throwing up ugly tags is definitely an eye sore. I think Oakland should have a dedicated space like in the Mission for street art, but a lot of the tagging you see isn't art, just vandalism.
Exactly. Very interesting article discussing how suburban white kids/anarchists coming in aren't respecting the old rules of not tagging schools, churches, etc. I walk through Uptown every day and see businesses constantly battling with taggers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2014, 03:43 PM

18,965 posts, read 32,441,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CirclingLogan View Post
As a resident and citizen, I find them aesthetically offensive. I may be outnumbered by those numbed over time by proliferation of garish advertising, but I'll still speak my mind. I'm obviously not alone as many cities and states have banned billboards over the years.
Well if CirclingLogan finds them offensive then I think that settles it, away with Billboards! LOL. I just think Oakland probably has many, many, many more things to worry about before tackling the issue of billboards. I can see how in denser, more pedestrian oriented areas they aren't that pleasing but in more auto-oriented/industrial areas or along freeways I don't really mind them at all. It's not like taking them down would make areas like that look any better imo.

Old 03-05-2014, 03:49 PM

6,401 posts, read 8,230,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CirclingLogan View Post
On the list of things that offend me about Oakland, this is pretty far down the totem pole. I'm far more appalled by trash, homeless encampments, gang violence/crime, etc. In fact, I barely notice billboards.

Old 03-05-2014, 03:55 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,709,568 times
The only billboards I notice, are ones for events that happened 2 months ago. Although it is kinda odd there is a billboard at 51/Broadway. It is like a weird relic of the 50s.

Old 03-05-2014, 04:01 PM

Sure, it's far from the biggest issue, but this is an internet forum, a place where people come to expound on the most trivial of concerns. It's not like the denizens of city data are going to come up with a strategy to bring down Oakland's crime.

And, yeah, I'm mostly concerned about the walkable, pedestrian-oriented parts of Oakland, where they mar beautiful architecture. Billboards on freeways are not my biggest concern.

Old 03-05-2014, 04:06 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,680,131 times
Billboards are in a way part of the culture of California thanks to Hollywood and the music industry. Maybe they aren't exactly a tradition worth preserving but they don't look out of place either if you're from here.

Old 03-05-2014, 04:11 PM

18,965 posts, read 32,441,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
Billboards are in a way part of the culture of California thanks to Hollywood and the music industry. Maybe they aren't exactly a tradition worth preserving but they don't look out of place either if you're from here.
Yeah maybe that's why I don't really notice or pay much attention to them, just kind of used to them. Only in LA do I really take notice because they can be so big and cover the whole side of a mid/high rise building.

Isn't the Hollywood sign pretty much an old billboard?

Old 03-05-2014, 04:21 PM

343 posts, read 443,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
The only billboards I notice, are ones for events that happened 2 months ago. Although it is kinda odd there is a billboard at 51/Broadway. It is like a weird relic of the 50s.
That's the one that stands out to me. I'm not against billboards per se, but I am against them being used a cash cows on otherwise empty lots on prime real estate. There should be an 85% tax on billboard revenue on lots like that. Some old dude is just sitting back and cashing the checks every month. Hopefully he'll die soon and his kids will develop or sell that lot.

Old 03-05-2014, 04:39 PM

Growing up most of my time spent in cities was in Western Europe, which are generally billboard-free, especially in the center. In many ways, San Francisco is very in line with European cities from an aesthetic standpoint. But, I guess if LA is your benchmark...

Old 03-05-2014, 04:48 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,060,745 times
Completely off-topic but last month I flew into Guadalajara, Jalisco and rented a car and as I was driving out of the airport and on to Route-44 heading into the city, the billboards were unreal. I'm talking about the biggest billboards you've ever seen. Our billboards in the U.S. in comparison are like small road signs.

I, too, don't have huge problems with billboards. They can be pretty interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland