Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 04:51 PM

18,957 posts, read 32,418,045 times

Advertisements

SF is certainly not billboard free or close to it at all, probably less noticeable than Oakland as there are less surface lots and more density with less places to put them. One of the few places I notice them is when you drive into SF, there are a ton of billboards coming to and from the Bay Bridge. And it's not just off the freeway, you find billboards in denser, walkable areas of SF too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2014, 04:53 PM

14,635 posts, read 14,499,477 times
Put me down as another who doesn't notice or ever had a problem with billboards. The city council should stay focused on crime, schools, business promotion, etc. but I understand if they're a pet peeve you wouldn't want them around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parti Rhinocéros View Post
Completely off-topic but last month I flew into Guadalajara, Jalisco and rented a car and as I was driving out of the airport and on to Route-44 heading into the city, the billboards were unreal. I'm talking about the biggest billboards you've ever seen. Our billboards in the U.S. in comparison are like small road signs.
I noticed that in San Juan PR also.

Last edited by Natural510; 03-05-2014 at 05:14 PM..

Old 03-05-2014, 09:06 PM

2,406 posts, read 6,007,047 times
Are billboards seriously Oakland's biggest issue it's battling with right now?

Old 03-05-2014, 09:31 PM

74 posts, read 148,988 times
I agree that Oakland has way too many billboards. I live in East Oakland, and I'm afraid that the city council is going to sell out the way they are doing in West Oakland, and we'll end up with a string of digital billboards along 880 flashing into our windows. The light pollution--and the disrespect to the residents of the neighborhoods they go up in--is no where near worth the money the city gets for allowing them.

Old 03-06-2014, 12:38 AM

339 posts, read 513,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstnghu2 View Post
Are billboards seriously Oakland's biggest issue it's battling with right now?
And here I thought people had to be able to read to post on this forum.

Quote:
Sure, it's far from the biggest issue, but this is an internet forum, a place where people come to expound on the most trivial of concerns. It's not like the denizens of city data are going to come up with a strategy to bring down Oakland's crime.
The "there are bigger issues, let's let Oakland look like a dump" line of thought is really self-defeating.

And, yes, this is a personal pet peeve of mine, but based off all the cities, states and even countries that have banned billboards, it's obviously a widespread feeling.

Old 03-06-2014, 12:44 AM

Quote:
I agree that Oakland has way too many billboards. I live in East Oakland, and I'm afraid that the city council is going to sell out the way they are doing in West Oakland, and we'll end up with a string of digital billboards along 880 flashing into our windows. The light pollution--and the disrespect to the residents of the neighborhoods they go up in--is no where near worth the money the city gets for allowing them.
Haven't you heard? Until the crime is at 0% and all the schools resemble Head-Royce, there's no point in worrying about anything else.

Old 03-06-2014, 01:24 AM

1,986 posts, read 3,588,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
The city needs money. SF has them everywhere too, so I don't know why this is surprising...
Money + the locations aren't bad from what I've seen. The billboards by the coliseum brightened up what would be a dark place.

Old 03-06-2014, 01:26 AM

28,107 posts, read 63,385,620 times
Many of the Billboards I remember are gone now.

City had lots that were grandfathered decades ago... some with 50+ year leases.

I don't think new locations are permitted unless moved from somewhere else with an exception for several new near the bridge.

Never bothered me one way or the other.

Old 03-06-2014, 01:41 AM

18,957 posts, read 32,418,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CirclingLogan View Post
And here I thought people had to be able to read to post on this forum.

The "there are bigger issues, let's let Oakland look like a dump" line of thought is really self-defeating.

And, yes, this is a personal pet peeve of mine, but based off all the cities, states and even countries that have banned billboards, it's obviously a widespread feeling.
Careful not to mistake small but vocal groups with a "widespread feeling".
Quote:
Originally Posted by CirclingLogan View Post
Haven't you heard? Until the crime is at 0% and all the schools resemble Head-Royce, there's no point in worrying about anything else.
Or maybe it just doesn't bother other people like it does you...

Old 03-06-2014, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Careful not to mistake small but vocal groups with a "widespread feeling".
Small, vocal groups are the only people who've ever changed anything for the better, so I'll take that as a compliment. They're often far ahead of the flock.
Quote:
Or maybe it just doesn't bother other people like it does you...
I think they bother most people with a certain aesthetic sense, and who've extensively experienced cities with urban cores that lack them. They are garish, corporate blight, simple as that. Over the last century or so, the public has been numbed into a stupor when it comes to the aesthetic of the civic space. Beautiful architecture, proper urban design and public art has been replaced with whatever can be quickly, cheaply built to enrich the few, while blasting vulgar advertising via massive billboards. "I dunno, they've never bothered me", the people shrug, as they fill their bellies with fast food fare procured from the safety of their vehicle's seat, "they keep me entertained as I sit in this endless freeway traffic..." For a second -- an absurdly brief moment -- there seems to be a flash of realization in their eyes. But, alas, it disappears as quickly as it came. 'Game of Thrones' returns to HBO tonight and their mind drifts to that. A few buzzards circle in the distance. A lone sheep has separated from its flock and died.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland