Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2014, 08:09 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,132,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
It's a forum and that is what people do. Why take it personal when people point out the ugly truths about SF?

Of course I have made my points substantively.

It's a filthy city (and no I am not going to post google links of the filth) and many of the streets are deplorable and in need of repair. And a lot of daily scrubbing away of human body fluids and excrement. What more do you need me to explain?

Fantasy? I don't hold any fantasies about SF. I think you do.

No one claimed that you were trying to change my opinion...you never will be able to. It is not an opinion it is observation of facts.

You just can't seem to handled anyone who posts observable facts about SF that don't match your fantasy.

And about that Pasadena thing that you don't appear to want to move on from...I also mentioned Alvin. My point was that it would make perfect sense to me how you find SF to be the most glorious thing you have ever experienced if you came from small town USA. That is all...nothing more or nothing less. Just that.
Another unsubstantiated retort. Saying "it is because I say so" doesn't make it true, no matter how many times you repeat it. I posted pics. You posted whining, diversions, unsubstantiated claims and veiled insults. You lose.

Last edited by dalparadise; 05-14-2014 at 09:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2014, 09:00 PM

13 posts, read 14,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
Another unsubstantiated retort. Saying "it is because I say so" doesn't make it true, no matter how many times you repeat it. I posted pics. You post he'd whining and veiled insults. You lose.
I have heard reports of this, many people have said it so it must be true. From the sounds of it, I could never survive in SF. Too many crowds, homeless and just somewhere I could never be. You clearly have a bias toward it and I only wonder how you live life. What does your place look like.. is it a pigsty?

Old 05-14-2014, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbah1Stunnah View Post
I have heard reports of this, many people have said it so it must be true. From the sounds of it, I could never survive in SF. Too many crowds, homeless and just somewhere I could never be. You clearly have a bias toward it and I only wonder how you live life. What does your place look like.. is it a pigsty?
No, it's nice. What does your place in North Carolina look like?

Old 05-14-2014, 10:53 PM

474 posts, read 530,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbah1Stunnah View Post
I believe that is something you have to deal with when you live in a big city.

Old 05-15-2014, 11:33 AM

5 posts, read 6,819 times
Default New Orleans maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubaG View Post
I really hate living here and feel trapped. The concept of leaving seems so easy but it's not.

I would love to live in a real city like London or New York (or even even the total opposite - an unpretentious small town like Austin) but but unfortunately, i'm in tech and it's harder to find equivalent positions elsewhere.

End Rant.
Have you ever considered moving to New Orleans? The cost of living is decent. The amount of tech jobs are growing exponentially and the demand is outpacing the supply at this point. Most of the people have a very laid back, laissez faire personality and there is always something to do.

Old 05-15-2014, 02:01 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,370,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
Another unsubstantiated retort. Saying "it is because I say so" doesn't make it true, no matter how many times you repeat it. I posted pics. You posted whining, diversions, unsubstantiated claims and veiled insults. You lose.
The OP, and everyone else, has the right to hate SF whether they live there or not. They also have the right to express that sentiment without needing PROOF. And it's not a contest that someone wins or loses.

I love visiting San francisco and think it's a truly great place, as cities go. I lived in the South bay for over a decade, have had family in SF proper for generations, and visited way too many times to count and I can honestly say that I would HATE living there too. I agree that it's pretty dirty, places way too much emphasis on coolness and is very expensive and overrated considering what it actually has to offer in QoL. Unless of course you happen to be an artist, musician or some other person who values urban coolness over quiet living, easy commuting and just about everything else. But of course I have no pics to prove that.

Old 05-15-2014, 03:40 PM

771 posts, read 1,581,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CirclingLogan View Post
Lol. Only people from SoCal think the weather is bad here. Spend one winter in NYC or London.
Chicago is worse. But in the OP's opinion I'm sure its not a world class city.

ATL has a better winter, but you are f*ed if you don't have a car to get anywhere and traffic is miserable.

Old 05-15-2014, 04:23 PM

881 posts, read 1,814,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Hard to believe anywhere in Switzerland would be dirty. I never noticed Geneva being dirty, but I was there in a different era. Maybe everyplace has gone downhill the last 10 years, or something.
I don't think it's a matter of things going downhill. I was looking for Les Grottes in Geneva, which is in the less visited part of city by most visitors. If anything, that area gotten better in the last few years.

Much of Paris & NYC gotten a lot cleaner in the last decade, though of course there are still areas that aren't nice. Example: there was a major campaign to get Parisians to pick up after their dogs a few years back, it's not as much of a dog poo mine field as it used to be. But if one get outside the center, to the suburbs like St. Denis...it's a jarring difference.

Tokyo was another city that was a lot dirtier then I expected. But I loved visiting the city just the same.

But I suspect a lot of people visit (and even move) to a place with a preconceived notion of what a place is suppose to be like. They seem to think it will be just like in postcards, all people there should behave just so-so etc. etc. They tend to forget 1) postcards are photoshopped 2) these place are also real functioning cities, not Disneyland 3) cities and it's people are can be very diverse, even geographically small cities. Such people tend to be the ones who goes "I visited/moved X and it sucks, you people who live there don't know your own city!!".

They are entitled to their opinions, but it's just that, opinion. It they don't like it, don't visit again. If they are living here, move. No one is forcing them to be here, no one is truly ever "trapped". I work in tech, I have been recruited by companies in NYC, London, Paris (and other cities). If you don't like your situation, it's up to you to change your situation, you might have to make compromises, like salary or career path, but life is too short to live where you are miserable.

Those who like SF aren't blind, we just happen to like our city. And people really shouldn't be surprise we are willing to defend our city.

Last edited by gnomatic; 05-15-2014 at 04:32 PM..

Old 09-07-2014, 11:29 AM

1 posts, read 1,893 times
I hear you man. My ex-partner HAD to live in San Francisco so we packed up and moved there from Seattle. I tried it for a year and hated the overly gentrified filthy city. We almost bought a "crack house" in the mission for a little over a million. Thank god I snapped out of my delusional state! I moved back to the top of capitol hill where there are trees, grass and lots of parks. I can walk my dog at midnight and feel safe. Seattle still has a personality whereas San Francisco is an arrogant ***** that will bleed you dry! LOL! Hope you were able to escape and if not get out soon, damn place is drying up!

Old 09-07-2014, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christhomas65 View Post
I hear you man. My ex-partner HAD to live in San Francisco so we packed up and moved there from Seattle. I tried it for a year and hated the overly gentrified filthy city. We almost bought a "crack house" in the mission for a little over a million. Thank god I snapped out of my delusional state! I moved back to the top of capitol hill where there are trees, grass and lots of parks. I can walk my dog at midnight and feel safe. Seattle still has a personality whereas San Francisco is an arrogant ***** that will bleed you dry! LOL! Hope you were able to escape and if not get out soon, damn place is drying up!
Ha! maybe we can go another 15 pages on this one-post wonder, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland