Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2014, 09:39 AM

6,416 posts, read 8,276,539 times

Advertisements

FWIW I saw more homeless people this summer in Waikiki than anywhere else in my life. SF is bad, but Waikiki is an open drug market in the early morning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2014, 03:21 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,446,309 times
What SF has become is truly a shame. It used to be a magical place a long time ago...of course tourists can still make this claim.

It is a great place to visit but in no way would I want to live there.

Old 10-15-2014, 03:27 PM

21,735 posts, read 16,341,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
There is no official data on either # of homeless or rate of homeless by city, so you're just guessing.

I think most reasonable people will generally agree that SF has a significantly more severe visible homelessness issue than NYC.
No I don't agree. And there are a great many resources to educate oneself on the subject. I threw one up for an example. Anyone who cares to learn about the issue, as opposed to endlessly speculate, will discover that SF is not in the top ranks.

Old 10-15-2014, 03:52 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
No I don't agree. And there are a great many resources to educate oneself on the subject. I threw one up for an example. Anyone who cares to learn about the issue, as opposed to endlessly speculate, will discover that SF is not in the top ranks.
According to this source https://www.hudexchange.info/resources/documents/ahar-2013-part1.pdf

On a Single Night in January 2013

• California accounted for more than 22 percent of the nation’s homeless population in 2013.

• Five states accounted for more than half of the homeless population in the United States.
  • California (22 percent or 136,826 people)
  • New York (13 percent or 77,430 people)
  • Florida (8 percent or 47,862 people)
  • Texas (5 percent or 29,615 people)
  • Massachusetts (3 percent or 19,029 people)
Although it is not broken down by city it is clear that CA hosts the highest homeless population in the US and without a doubt SF and LA are the 2 cities where you will find the highest concentrations. The homeless population is in your face almost everywhere you go in SF.

Old 10-15-2014, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
According to this source https://www.hudexchange.info/resources/documents/ahar-2013-part1.pdf

On a Single Night in January 2013

• California accounted for more than 22 percent of the nation’s homeless population in 2013.

• Five states accounted for more than half of the homeless population in the United States.
  • California (22 percent or 136,826 people)
  • New York (13 percent or 77,430 people)
  • Florida (8 percent or 47,862 people)
  • Texas (5 percent or 29,615 people)
  • Massachusetts (3 percent or 19,029 people)
Although it is not broken down by city it is clear that CA hosts the highest homeless population in the US and without a doubt SF and LA are the 2 cities where you will find the highest concentrations. The homeless population is in your face almost everywhere you go in SF.
Oh. I didn't know "in your face" was a statistical measure.

LA is the nation's homeless leader. Might have something to do I with the %, if it is correct.
You might also note that with NY having just over 1/2 the total population of California its 13 % makes it a higher ratio than California.

In any case, as I wrote previously: if you care to educate yourself rather than speculate, you'll find that SAN FRANCISCO, that is the city, does not rank in the top ten nationally.

Old 10-15-2014, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Oh. I didn't know "in your face" was a statistical measure.

LA is the nation's homeless leader. Might have something to do I with the %, if it is correct.
You might also note that with NY having just over 1/2 the total population of California its 13 % makes it a higher ratio than California.

In any case, as I wrote previously: if you care to educate yourself rather than speculate, you'll find that SAN FRANCISCO, that is the city, does not rank in the top ten nationally.
No one claimed that in your face was a statistical measure...just a very visible one.

I could care less if it ranks in the top 10 or not...that's not really the point.

The fact is the homeless situation in SF is very bad and is one of the many factors that has ruined a once great city. Who wants to live in a city with the highest COL in the US and have homeless people pissing, sh***ting and passed out on the sidewalks, benches and public transportation stations from alcohol or drugs?

Old 10-15-2014, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
No one claimed that in your face was a statistical measure...just a very visible one.

I could care less if it ranks in the top 10 or not...that's not really the point.

The fact is the homeless situation in SF is very bad and is one of the many factors that has ruined a once great city. Who wants to live in a city with the highest COL in the US and have homeless people pissing, sh***ting and passed out on the sidewalks, benches and public transportation stations from alcohol or drugs?
Well it was exactly the point of the post I responded to with my comment you then quoted.

The homeless situation is very bad in lots of cities. Not just San Francisco. There are approximately 6,500 homeless on the streets of San Francisco, with its resident population of 837,000. If that ruins the City for you, stay away.

Old 10-15-2014, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Well it was exactly the point of the post I responded to with my comment you then quoted.

The homeless situation is very bad in lots of cities. Not just San Francisco. There are approximately 6,500 homeless on the streets of San Francisco, with its resident population of 837,000. If that ruins the City for you, stay away.
CA takes the cake with the highest number of homeless.

Since this is the SF thread there really is no point discussing other cities just as you have mentioned in a previous post... there is no official data on either # of homeless or rate of homeless by city, so you're just guessing.

Many things about SF stops me from living there not just the in your face everywhere you look homeless folks and problems they create.

You could not pay me enough to live in that city...my standards are much higher.

Old 10-15-2014, 06:45 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,276,539 times
CA has 40 million. It stands to make sense that the state has high numbers of pretty much everything.

And while SF has a visible homeless population, it's a very prevalent West Coast phenomenon. The homeless are just as prevalent in Seattle, Portland, LA, and Honolulu.

Old 10-15-2014, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
CA has 40 million. It stands to make sense that the state has high numbers of pretty much everything.
CA has 38 million and Texas has 27 million, but yet Texas only accounts for 5% of the homeless in the US while CA touts 22%.

California (22 percent or 136,826 people)
Texas (5 percent or 29,615 people)

I am using the data from this source:https://www.hudexchange.info/resourc...2013-part1.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
And while SF has a visible homeless population, it's a very prevalent West Coast phenomenon. The homeless are just as prevalent in Seattle, Portland, LA, and Honolulu.
I've been to all of those cities except Honolulu and I did not see as much of it as I see in SF. SF is depressing and unappealing in this aspect. I don't find it appealing looking around and seeing so much suffering and people who clearly need to be institutionalized walking around cussing and screaming out loud...or stumbling about dazed and confused on drugs. Seeing human excrement in many public places including public transportation stations. It is a huge factor that has contributed to the demise of SF.

The thread is about not enjoying living in SF and I totally get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland