Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2014, 10:18 PM

102,202 posts, read 107,842,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
This thread has argued way too much about the first part of your post. Not gonna get into that again. But as for the weather. 70 in summer? When? During a heat wave in SF? Or during a cold streak in the East Bay? Because summer in SF is like 60 and cloudy and foggy almost to the point of rain with like 15mph winds. Summers in SF are horrendous. The cooler East Bay cities are usually in the upper 70s. Much of the Bay Area is regularly in the 80s every single day of summer, with many being regularly in the 90s and occasionally reaching into the 100s. At least in SoCal when inland locations get to 100 or even 110, there's a usable beach that will be around 85 and sunny. When it's 90-100 in places like Oakland or Berkeley or 100+ in San Jose and Pleasanton, the beaches are barely usable. SF will probably be socked in with fog and if you have a car to make it to Santa Cruz, the water is still freezing.

Now if it's your personal preference to have a cold summer, more power to you. But that's not the general consensus. I love a hot day around 90 and being able to hang out at the pool, and I bet a lot of people would tend to agree with me.
Oakland and Berkeley stay in the 70's in the summer, and into the 80's at the warmest, barring an anomaly. The heat wave doesn't hit until early fall, and then it's only 2-3 weeks of high 80's into 90.

Summers in SF are glorious! 60's sounds pretty good to me! If you like hot weather, stay in Louisville, or Lafayette, Walnut Creek, or the SF Peninsula.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2014, 10:28 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,341,528 times
All I was responding to was him saying it was great lol. He said that summers in the 70s can't be beat. But 70s don't occur that often in SF. There's a few slight warmups here and there in late summer/early fall. But the 70s in the summers really only happen in places like Oakland and Berkeley.

Old 12-02-2014, 11:24 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,134,401 times
Quote:
Yes. LA native. Lived 3 years in SF. Always left the Richmond. Aside from the Mission and FiDi/Union Square/SoMa, most of the city experiences heavy fog and winds in summer. That includes the Haight, the Marina, Divis/NoPa/Alamo Square, and often the Castro too. Oh I forgot about Hunters Point. But who goes there or wants to live there anyways unless they have to? I remember one time in July I drove up to drop stuff off from LA to SF in my new apartment. The whole drive up was in the 90s. Got to the East Bay and it was a comfortable 78. Crossed the bridge and went straight to the Haight because my friend driving with me had never been. It was 60 and foggy to the point of almost raining so the windshield wipers were on and about 20 mph winds. Luckily I had brought two jackets up with me to leave there so I let him borrow one because he was cold. Once August arrives, the weather does get better. But it goes from those ****ty days to a comfortable 75 for a day or two and then sometimes into the mid 80s-low 90s. That weather in SF sucks because nothing has A/C.

I won't argue with that at all. Totally agree the water still isn't too comfortable. It's good for a minute or two to quickly cool off when its in the 80s and 90s, but for just relaxing in calm, warm ocean, none of CA is good for that. Gotta head way farther south or to the east/gulf coast for that. The beaches of the South Bay like Manhattan and Hermosa Beach are generally pretty calm and suitable for swimming though.

But yes, there is no "perfect" weather. Some people think "perfect" is the stereotypical CA weather of high 70s in summer and mid 60s in winter. Others hate the heat and love the (usually) constant cool in SF. Others hate the cold and love Phoenix or Miami. Others like all 4 seasons represented strongly like in the Northeast and Midwest. Morbid Man stated that he thinks SF has pretty great weather. That's subjective because I hated it lol. I loved going to visit my friends in San Mateo and San Jose to get away from it once in a while. Saying SF has great weather is probably not a common statement. Usually when people say a place has perfect weather they mention LA or SD, not SF lol. It might be perfect for him, but not for a lot of people. Personally, I do think the weather in CA as a whole is very boring. I like the change of seasons.
You also forgot Russian Hill, Nob Hill, Chinatown, North Beach, Hayes Valley, Cow Hollow, Noe Valley, Dogpatch and a few others that enjoy beautiful, pleasant summers.

You lived three years in The Richmond and thought it represented all of SF. There are people who love The Richmond, but you are right, it is chilly and foggy in summertime. Thats not all of SF, though.

Old 12-02-2014, 11:44 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,907,725 times
Quote:
This thread has argued way too much about the first part of your post. Not gonna get into that again. But as for the weather. 70 in summer? When? During a heat wave in SF? Or during a cold streak in the East Bay? Because summer in SF is like 60 and cloudy and foggy almost to the point of rain with like 15mph winds. Summers in SF are horrendous. The cooler East Bay cities are usually in the upper 70s. Much of the Bay Area is regularly in the 80s every single day of summer, with many being regularly in the 90s and occasionally reaching into the 100s. At least in SoCal when inland locations get to 100 or even 110, there's a usable beach that will be around 85 and sunny. When it's 90-100 in places like Oakland or Berkeley or 100+ in San Jose and Pleasanton, the beaches are barely usable. SF will probably be socked in with fog and if you have a car to make it to Santa Cruz, the water is still freezing.

Now if it's your personal preference to have a cold summer, more power to you. But that's not the general consensus. I love a hot day around 90 and being able to hang out at the pool, and I bet a lot of people would tend to agree with me.
You probably wouldn't get that many people disagreeing with you about what constitutes a hot day, but not all of SF is that way in the summer. Microclimates prevail, and many of the eastern parts of the city can be quite warm compared to the western half.

And yes, there is often fog at the coast in those months often. However, go to the coast during the fall/spring, or even the winter, and the beaches are very nice (often quite warm, 60's/70's with sun, which makes it feel much warmer).

Also, I think it's important to point out that LA beaches can get fog and be quite cool, too. I don't know if 85 and sunny at the beach is as common as you think (85 and sunny a few miles inland, sure; but at the beach? That sounds a little high on average).

Then again, if it's hot weather you're after, you only have to go a few miles south, east, or north (as you mention). It's quite easy to escape any "cold" weather in SF.

Old 12-03-2014, 12:03 AM

21,734 posts, read 16,337,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
You also forgot Russian Hill, Nob Hill, Chinatown, North Beach, Hayes Valley, Cow Hollow, Noe Valley, Dogpatch and a few others that enjoy beautiful, pleasant summers.

You lived three years in The Richmond and thought it represented all of SF. There are people who love The Richmond, but you are right, it is chilly and foggy in summertime. Thats not all of SF, though.
Boy howdy. And then some, fer cryin out loud. Like it's hard to drive or walk a few miles to some sunshine, right?

Old 12-03-2014, 01:01 AM

Quote:

Cow Hollow gets the fog from the Marina quite easily. And don't kid yourself. On average those neighborhoods still aren't very summery when compared to an average summer. If we're talking about a SF summer, yeah I guess. Compared to even the rest of the Bay Area though? Still not "summer" weather in those neighborhoods either until late August/September/early October.

And you're obsessed with reminding me I lived in the Richmond. Do you really think I stayed in that one neighborhood all 3 years? No! I worked in the FiDi and went all over the city for various reasons. It's a tiny city. I saw a lot of it. More than once. Trust me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
Also, I think it's important to point out that LA beaches can get fog and be quite cool, too. I don't know if 85 and sunny at the beach is as common as you think (85 and sunny a few miles inland, sure; but at the beach? That sounds a little high on average).

Then again, if it's hot weather you're after, you only have to go a few miles south, east, or north (as you mention). It's quite easy to escape any "cold" weather in SF.
LA beaches get foggy in late May and beginning/middle of June. As for 85 at the beach, I was referring to when there's a heat wave inland making it 110 there. When that happens, there's very rarely fog at the beach and it will be around 85. An average summer day though from the end of June through beginning of September is from 72-78. Yes the water is still pretty cold year round, but people do regularly swim in it without a wetsuit. It's very rare to see someone comfortably swimming in water in NorCal. But at least on an average day when it's in the 80s inland, you can comfortably lay out on the sand at the beach where it's in the 70s and sunny. Ocean Beach is usually quite foggy in summer no matter the temperatures around SF.

And I did often visit my friend in San Mateo or go over to Berkeley for a change of scenery when the fog got annoying. Definitely easy to escape it.

Old 12-03-2014, 01:15 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,134,401 times
Quote:
Cow Hollow gets the fog from the Marina quite easily. And don't kid yourself. On average those neighborhoods still aren't very summery when compared to an average summer. If we're talking about a SF summer, yeah I guess. Compared to even the rest of the Bay Area though? Still not "summer" weather in those neighborhoods either until late August/September/early October.

And you're obsessed with reminding me I lived in the Richmond. Do you really think I stayed in that one neighborhood all 3 years? No! I worked in the FiDi and went all over the city for various reasons. It's a tiny city. I saw a lot of it. More than once. Trust me.

LA beaches get foggy in late May and beginning/middle of June. As for 85 at the beach, I was referring to when there's a heat wave inland making it 110 there. When that happens, there's very rarely fog at the beach and it will be around 85. An average summer day though from the end of June through beginning of September is from 72-78. Yes the water is still pretty cold year round, but people do regularly swim in it without a wetsuit. It's very rare to see someone comfortably swimming in water in NorCal. But at least on an average day when it's in the 80s inland, you can comfortably lay out on the sand at the beach where it's in the 70s and sunny. Ocean Beach is usually quite foggy in summer no matter the temperatures around SF.

And I did often visit my friend in San Mateo or go over to Berkeley for a change of scenery when the fog got annoying. Definitely easy to escape it.
I think you need to be reminded that where you lived, The Richmond, is well known to be the foggiest part of San Francisco. Only someone who doesn't know much about SF would choose to live there if he doesn't like foggy, chilly weather. Thus, I believe your assessments of SF are suspect, as they come from someone who didnt know much about San Francisco before living there for a very short time (in The Richmond).

Old 12-03-2014, 02:14 AM

Quote:
I think you need to be reminded that where you lived, The Richmond, is well known to be the foggiest part of San Francisco. Only someone who doesn't know much about SF would choose to live there if he doesn't like foggy, chilly weather. Thus, I believe your assessments of SF are suspect, as they come from someone who didnt know much about San Francisco before living there for a very short time (in The Richmond).
You are one who is VERY quick to make assumptions. I know where I lived. That doesn't mean I didn't leave The Richmond. Do you not leave your neighborhood? Does everyone in The Richmond just stay in there? They never head to Union Square or the Mission or North Beach? They are blind and oblivious to the rest of their city? I mean honestly you just sound like exactly the type of person that made me hate SF. Clearly you're right and know everything about me just like everyone else there. I tell you one thing, but it doesn't match what you want to hear, so clearly I must be wrong. The reason I lived in the richmond was because I went to USF and couldn't afford to live in some techie neighborhood. I couldn't afford Hayes Valley or Lower Haight or SoMa or the Mission or Russian Hill or neighborhoods like that. I spent a lot of time out of the richmond because I didn't like the neighborhood. I really only slept there and ate at Kitaro. I was in other parts of the city as much as I could be. So yes, I know SF. I knew a lot about it before moving too.

Apparently working in the FiDi and leaving the Richmond on a near daily basis still counts as me never leaving the richmond and not having a clue to what I'm talking about. And 3 years is a very short amount of time now. Wow. I learn something every day from stuck up San Franciscans. Can't believe I ever left. I'm becoming so stupid here now without self-righteous people telling me everything I need to know about myself and my life. How is it different from someone living in the SFV in LA going to WeHo or Beverly Hills very often? They know the SFV gets way hotter in the summer every day and that there's way more going on in BH and WeHo. Just because they live in the valley, though, according to your logic, they have no knowledge of anything outside the valley. And, the only reason they moved to the valley was because they couldn't afford to live in the neighborhood they want. Only people that can afford to live in the fun and nice neighborhoods can have an opinion about them apparently. Or what about someone who moves to Staten Island near the Staten Island Ferry so that they can commute to work in Manhattan every day. They move there because they can't afford Manhattan. However, they work in Manhattan and spend a lot of time with their friends there because that's where everything goes on. They don't live in Manhattan though, so clearly they're barred from forming an opinion on Manhattan. Only people who live in Manhattan can have valid opinions on it.

Please. Never leave SF. You belong there perfectly and no other city deserves you. Seriously.

Old 12-03-2014, 02:44 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,839,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Boy howdy. And then some, fer cryin out loud. Like it's hard to drive or walk a few miles to some sunshine, right?
Yes, yes it is. Because one would have to get up from viewing the glowing screen to do so.

Old 12-03-2014, 02:54 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,839,136 times
Quote:
You are one who is VERY quick to make assumptions. I know where I lived. That doesn't mean I didn't leave The Richmond. Do you not leave your neighborhood? Does everyone in The Richmond just stay in there? They never head to Union Square or the Mission or North Beach? They are blind and oblivious to the rest of their city? I mean honestly you just sound like exactly the type of person that made me hate SF. Clearly you're right and know everything about me just like everyone else there. I tell you one thing, but it doesn't match what you want to hear, so clearly I must be wrong. The reason I lived in the richmond was because I went to USF and couldn't afford to live in some techie neighborhood. I couldn't afford Hayes Valley or Lower Haight or SoMa or the Mission or Russian Hill or neighborhoods like that. I spent a lot of time out of the richmond because I didn't like the neighborhood. I really only slept there and ate at Kitaro. I was in other parts of the city as much as I could be. So yes, I know SF. I knew a lot about it before moving too.

Apparently working in the FiDi and leaving the Richmond on a near daily basis still counts as me never leaving the richmond and not having a clue to what I'm talking about. And 3 years is a very short amount of time now. Wow. I learn something every day from stuck up San Franciscans. Can't believe I ever left. I'm becoming so stupid here now without self-righteous people telling me everything I need to know about myself and my life. How is it different from someone living in the SFV in LA going to WeHo or Beverly Hills very often? They know the SFV gets way hotter in the summer every day and that there's way more going on in BH and WeHo. Just because they live in the valley, though, according to your logic, they have no knowledge of anything outside the valley. And, the only reason they moved to the valley was because they couldn't afford to live in the neighborhood they want. Only people that can afford to live in the fun and nice neighborhoods can have an opinion about them apparently. Or what about someone who moves to Staten Island near the Staten Island Ferry so that they can commute to work in Manhattan every day. They move there because they can't afford Manhattan. However, they work in Manhattan and spend a lot of time with their friends there because that's where everything goes on. They don't live in Manhattan though, so clearly they're barred from forming an opinion on Manhattan. Only people who live in Manhattan can have valid opinions on it.

Please. Never leave SF. You belong there perfectly and no other city deserves you. Seriously.
This was a very entertaining rant. Gradual buildup to blustering climax, then twitchy cigarette afterglow. Theatric!
Still kind of a bummer to hear of folks who pay lots of money to live in places they don't like, though. We wish them well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland