Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2014, 01:20 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,132,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
About the leaf blower thing (stupid if you ask me), you also mentioned toll roads. Uhh...GGB? Bay Bridge? Pretty sure that's classified as a toll ride because you have to pay to go over them. And I do understand city living. I think strip malls are some of the ugliest things ever built. But SF doesn't compare to other urban cities like NYC, Chicago, London, Paris, Berlin, etc. in many ways. I love urban living, just not SF-style urban living.
What makes you think you would like those other places better? The music some DJ plays at a club?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2014, 01:23 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,336,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
I'm not trying to rag on you, but it sounds like once you thought about it for a moment, SF seemed to get a bit better in your eyes. Now, about those "filthy" comments...
It's by no means the WORST city. And I understand the whole "to each their own", but I do know the city well and the nightlife is not one of its best qualities. No one says "omg you guys lets go party in SF this spring break!" or "lets go have a crazy weekend in SF!" (unless they're from Sac :P sorry). People do about LA and they're usually disappointed and I don't blame them haha. If you prefer the bar scene, SF is great. If you prefer the club/EDM scene, NYC, Chicago, and Miami are better options.

But let's be honest, the TL looks 2nd world status in some areas. Puke on Muni floors/seats isn't uncommon. The Richmond, considered somewhat suburban compared to the rest of the city (minus the Sunset and Twin Peaks), is quite dirty as well. And Chinatown? I refuse to touch the poles on the 8, 30, or 45 because they go through there. I've never actually been so close to vomiting in public (while not drunk) as I was in Chinatown in a few months back from the smells. And I live on the 38. If I take the 38BX to work I feel relatively clean. The 38L is okay. The 38 is just a mobile toilet. Other cities are dirty too, don't get me wrong. Parts of downtown LA and Hollywood and Westlake/MacArthur Park are on the same level as most of SF, but the difference is it's hard to escape the filth in SF. The TL is right in the middle of the city. Chinatown is near most stuff. The L in Chicago doesn't feel as dirty as Muni. The subway in NYC is a different story. Nearly every metro system in the modern cities of Asia and Europe have cleaner metro systems.

Old 05-14-2014, 01:23 AM

Quote:
About the leaf blower thing (stupid if you ask me), you also mentioned toll roads. Uhh...GGB? Bay Bridge? Pretty sure that's classified as a toll ride because you have to pay to go over them. And I do understand city living. I think strip malls are some of the ugliest things ever built. But SF doesn't compare to other urban cities like NYC, Chicago, London, Paris, Berlin, etc. in many ways. I love urban living, just not SF-style urban living.
PS-by your own admission, you live in the "suburban" part of San Francisco. So, are you really qualified to assess the "urban living" here?

Old 05-14-2014, 01:26 AM

Quote:
What makes you think you would like those other places better? The music some DJ plays at a club?
As for nightlife, yes I would prefer their nightlife scenes. I know I do. I've been out in all those cities before. Their nightlife for the scene that I'm looking for is better. And personally, nightlife means a lot to me. Surrounding myself with people who have the same musical interests is important to me. I love seeing live shows. And I know I like those cities more in other ways too.

Old 05-14-2014, 01:27 AM

Quote:
PS-by your own admission, you live in the "suburban" part of San Francisco. So, are you really qualified to assess the "urban living" here?
"Suburban" in SF is relative, is it not? I used to live in the Western Addition. I've lived in central Madrid also. The Richmond is still more urban than many parts of the US. So yes, I am.

Old 05-14-2014, 01:28 AM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,444,054 times
OK I will take a little motorcycle trip wearing my Go Pro and show you just how filthy the city really is and how torn up the streets are. Proof is in they pudding as the say.

And Jessemh431 I have experienced all that you have posted since moving here.

Old 05-14-2014, 01:31 AM

Quote:
"Suburban" in SF is relative, is it not? I used to live in the Western Addition. I've lived in central Madrid also. The Richmond is still more urban than many parts of the US. So yes, I am.
I agree with you. That said, why are you spending so much time in the Tenderloin? I almost never go to the TL, just like I wouldn't really ever go to Watts.

Again, this is an unedited Google Images shot of my neighborhood. Do you find it filthy?

https://www.google.com/search?site=&...05.S0RHZk2QML8

Old 05-14-2014, 01:33 AM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,444,054 times
Quote:

Again, this is an unedited Google Images shot of my neighborhood. Do you find it filthy?

https://www.google.com/search?site=&...05.S0RHZk2QML8
Well just get outside you your neighborhood and take a look around...filthy is all over SF. Not saying the ENTIRE city is filthy but a lot of it is. And I mean filthy to the core.

Old 05-14-2014, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
OK I will take a little motorcycle trip wearing my Go Pro and show you just how filthy the city really is and how torn up the streets are. Proof is in they pudding as the say.

And Jessemh431 I have experienced all that you have posted since moving here.
Yeah, but you don't live here. Care to address the photos I linked? Are those not really the City? Are you going to say that because you can ride your motorcycle to a place that's dirty, it gives you the right to condemn the entire City? If so, don't the pics I linked logically contradict you?

Old 05-14-2014, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
Well just get outside you your neighborhood and take a look around...filthy is all over SF. Not saying the ENTIRE city is filthy but a lot of it is. And I mean filthy to the core.
I live in the core.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland