Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 02:27 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times

Advertisements

What a strange predicament. A great market having leasing issues because it's sandwiched between 2 even greater markets, SF and Menlo Park/Palo Alto.

#firstworldproblems for sure. LOL

Why San Mateo Isn't Taking Off - Real Estate Bisnow (San Francisco)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2014, 02:39 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Well I did think about interviewing at a company....more in suburban office park land. And the job was mine, but I realized the last thing I would want was having to go to office park land daily. I now work in downtown SM, and it is really convenient. So much stuff within a 10 minute walk. Although it does seem to be mostly small space great for startups, not so much so for larger companies. My office building and many downtown storefronts are startup central.

San Mateo should probably work on getting some good office space on the El Camino Corridor adjacent to downtown, which would be best of both worlds.

Old 03-26-2014, 03:58 PM

702 posts, read 954,121 times
and extend BART the 4-5 miles South to downtown San Mateo, put it underneath El Camino. Eh really we should just start digging for BART all the way down El Camino to SJ, that way BART's there for frequent transit, and Caltrain's there for express trains only. (I know, billions$)

Old 03-26-2014, 04:07 PM

I would be so excited if there was a downtown San Mateo Bart. I would stop driving to work.

Old 03-26-2014, 04:08 PM

That is a good point. Caltrain never stops downtown. Which is a pain.

Old 03-26-2014, 04:39 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,822,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I would be so excited if there was a downtown San Mateo Bart. I would stop driving to work.
I wish Bart went down the peninsula along El Camino. Then they could have a Bart line that went across the bay from some place between Hayward/Fremont and connect the east bay with SV which will really do some good re congestion.

Old 03-26-2014, 04:56 PM

372 posts, read 514,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
What a strange predicament. A great market having leasing issues because it's sandwiched between 2 even greater markets, SF and Menlo Park/Palo Alto.

#firstworldproblems for sure. LOL

Why San Mateo Isn't Taking Off - Real Estate Bisnow (San Francisco)
You misread the article (not hard to do because it was terribly written). The reason for higher office vacancies is not because the county is sandwiched between SF and Palo Alto. The reason is that many of the office buildings in the county aren't near the city centers. They are in office parks east of 101, without public transit or many amenities around, and there is less demand for this type of space.

If you read the actual report on Avison Young | Intelligent Real Estate Solutions, it states that office space near the city centers and public transit in San Mateo County goes for a premium. FWIW, there are some huge developments in the city of San Mateo at the CalTrain stations that are mixed office/retail/residential, and some big ones in DT Redwood City as well. It should be interesting to see how that goes.

Last edited by calicoastal; 03-26-2014 at 05:18 PM..

Old 03-26-2014, 11:47 PM

507 posts, read 917,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ketch89 View Post
and extend BART the 4-5 miles South to downtown San Mateo, put it underneath El Camino. Eh really we should just start digging for BART all the way down El Camino to SJ, that way BART's there for frequent transit, and Caltrain's there for express trains only. (I know, billions$)
It's in my fantasy transit map. Solve the quad-track HSR problem by replacing Caltrain with a subway. It's already a $70B project, what's another $30B ?

Old 03-27-2014, 07:08 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,238,078 times
SF and the south bay are more desirable than San Mateo county, but It would also be easier for San Mateo county to grow if NIMBYs didn't have such a stranglehold on it (like most other suburban parts of the Bay Area). SF may have a lot of NIMBYs itself, but compared to most of the rest of the Bay Area we're growing like Shanghai or something.

Old 03-28-2014, 05:20 AM

4,576 posts, read 9,162,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
SF and the south bay are more desirable than San Mateo county, but It would also be easier for San Mateo county to grow if NIMBYs didn't have such a stranglehold on it (like most other suburban parts of the Bay Area). SF may have a lot of NIMBYs itself, but compared to most of the rest of the Bay Area we're growing like Shanghai or something.
South bay is not more desirable than anything. It is la del norte.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland