Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 08:13 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,852,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
I could be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure someone earlier said that no middle class people were moving into Oakland. In any event, you left out some really important parts of the article:

I don't think you were deliberately trying to cherry pick the negative aspects of Oakland's double-edged sword of gentrification, but by not quoting the rest of the article, it looks kinda disingenuous. Here's more you left out:

All in all, it really looks like Oakland is becoming a more desirable place to live. Indeed, it's unfortunate that poor people are being displaced, but the exact same has happened in SF and other nice cities and they're coping, so I'm hopeful things will turn out ok.
It is tricky. While sf transplants are moving to maxwell park, maxwell park has historically been a middle class black community. 20 years ago Trestle Glen and Crocker Highlands were middle to upper class majority black neighborhood. Now it is mostly white. There is a narrative about Oakland that it is all poor, but it has lost lots of well of black residents too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2014, 08:19 PM

379 posts, read 785,402 times
To get back to the original topic, you're probably not going to get a room now in the heart of SF or the trendiest neighborhoods for under $1000 unless you're in the Tenderloin or get really lucky with a longtime master tenant. However, there's still plenty of further out decent neighborhoods you can get an inexpensive room in, like Ingleside, the Richmond, the Sunset, the Outer Mission, and the Portola district. Even Glen Park has some deals.

Old 04-10-2014, 09:07 PM

1,224 posts, read 1,823,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
I could be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure someone earlier said that no middle class people were moving into Oakland. In any event, you left out some really important parts of the article:

All in all, it really looks like Oakland is becoming a more desirable place to live. Indeed, it's unfortunate that poor people are being displaced, but the exact same has happened in SF and other nice cities and they're coping, so I'm hopeful things will turn out ok.
Well, let's be honest, the problem is not that it's poor people, it's the fact that over the past 15 years it has disproportionately been poor black people. According to the article you posted, blacks have been part of the culture of those gentrifying areas for many decades. Is a place really the "same" if the people who defined it disappear? Something to think about it.

Also desirable for who? I seem to remember a certain someone complaining about being outbid for homes in certain East Bay cities. So that "someone" should know how gentrification can be a double edged sword on a very personal level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland