Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 09:15 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,487,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJnFL View Post
Lol, yes VERY familiar. Between the two, Oakland is sounding more and more like me.
I lived in TN for about 5 years, and we would go for weekend vacations to FL. I remember the first time I went, I was surprised that people there had southern accents, lol! In my mind, FL would be just the east coast version of CA. Nope, it's the south!

I think Oakland is the place for you, too. It's what you're looking for, so why settle for another version of Bubba Land?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2014, 10:49 AM

12 posts, read 18,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I lived in TN for about 5 years, and we would go for weekend vacations to FL. I remember the first time I went, I was surprised that people there had southern accents, lol! In my mind, FL would be just the east coast version of CA. Nope, it's the south!

I think Oakland is the place for you, too. It's what you're looking for, so why settle for another version of Bubba Land?
FL is a true melting pot. There are all kinds of cultures, but there are definitely some strong southern pockets. I lived in backwoods south FL where the banjos play for three years. Our nearest neighboring "city" was Plant City, the country's largest producer of strawberries. It's farmer and rancher central, home to tried and true good ol' boys. It was an interesting experience, but you're right - no more "Bubba Land" anytime soon for me please!

Old 04-12-2014, 11:29 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,247,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
30 minutes for commute is about right since you are going in the reverse commute direction.

There is way more stuff to do in Oakland than concord. And concord is pretty suburban (not sure if you have a preference.)

My guess is it would be easier to find a room share in Oakland than Concord or the nearby places. East of concord is cheaper but even more suburban.
I think 45 minutes would be more likely -- even with the new tunnel, at mid day it takes me more than 30 minutes to get to Walnut Creek to my hair dresser. (Keep in mind -- I essentially live in San Leandro)

Old 04-12-2014, 11:41 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,861,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I think 45 minutes would be more likely -- even with the new tunnel, at mid day it takes me more than 30 minutes to get to Walnut Creek to my hair dresser. (Keep in mind -- I essentially live in San Leandro)
Oh good call. I basically live right by the tunnel on ramp. So I have the best case scenario. If you live in north Oakland it is closer to 30, but other places will be a bit further.

Old 04-12-2014, 12:20 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,487,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Oh good call. I basically live right by the tunnel on ramp. So I have the best case scenario. If you live in north Oakland it is closer to 30, but other places will be a bit further.
My daughter's house in Oakland is just at the top of 73rd, just before you go over the hill to 580/13. She was working at AAA in Walnut Creek, right on 680. She said it took her only about 30 minutes to there.

So, OP, I guess the best thing would be to find a place close to 580, if possible. My daughter's neighborhood is basically Millsmont. Mills College campus is just at the end of her street, maybe a 1/2 mile or so.

So, maybe you could look for a Mills College student to room with. Maybe Mills College has an off-campus housing listing?

EDIT: Found a link:

http://www.mills.edu/campus_life/com...off_campus.php

EDIT AGAIN LOL: Well, the above link is wimpy. They don't have an online bulletin board where students list roommate wanted ads. Well, it might be worth calling them. They may have a facebook page or something where you can look for roommates wanted. BTW: Mills College is not just young crazy students. They have a decent older student population. I looked at going there myself in my 40's, but they wouldn't give me enough financial aid. Pretty campus, too.

Last edited by NoMoreSnowForMe; 04-12-2014 at 12:26 PM.. Reason: Add link.

Old 04-18-2014, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
My daughter's house in Oakland is just at the top of 73rd, just before you go over the hill to 580/13. She was working at AAA in Walnut Creek, right on 680. She said it took her only about 30 minutes to there.

So, OP, I guess the best thing would be to find a place close to 580, if possible. My daughter's neighborhood is basically Millsmont. Mills College campus is just at the end of her street, maybe a 1/2 mile or so.

So, maybe you could look for a Mills College student to room with. Maybe Mills College has an off-campus housing listing?

EDIT: Found a link:

Mills College Commuting: Locating housing off-campus

EDIT AGAIN LOL: Well, the above link is wimpy. They don't have an online bulletin board where students list roommate wanted ads. Well, it might be worth calling them. They may have a facebook page or something where you can look for roommates wanted. BTW: Mills College is not just young crazy students. They have a decent older student population. I looked at going there myself in my 40's, but they wouldn't give me enough financial aid. Pretty campus, too.

Sorry for the delayed response. The idea of roommate searching at local college campuses is brilliant. The FB page thing is a good idea, and I could probably also call the Res Life office. Sometimes they might not have that info up online, but there's a registry or a billboard in-office that students can make use of. I'd forgotten about that. Thanks!

Old 04-18-2014, 09:01 AM

Okay, so it sounds like I'd be looking at a 30-45 minute commute depending on which part of town I lived in? Good to know. Thanks everybody, for being so helpful!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland