Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 07:22 PM

702 posts, read 954,331 times

Advertisements

Decades of advertising and propaganda have told us that "The American Dream" is owning a home. It's simply not true, your quality of life overall would be much higher without the ridiculous commute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2014, 09:00 PM

578 posts, read 1,295,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by millbraemommy View Post
another reason i don't care for the valley is the pesticides. i know, why did we move then? i didn't think it would bother me so much, but now that i am reading and getting more into air quality info and things like that, i feel that living in the valley is not a healthy choice. i feel that it is not worth the commute, the hazard of living so close to pesticides, the schools are not great, the weather is HOT or COLD.
How long have you lived in the Central Valley? You'll find that a lot of the pollution actually comes from the cars and from the wildfires that start, so it's not something that can really be avoided. Yes, the air quality is not that good in the valley, as there's nowhere for it to really go to.

And as for the commute, WOW. Ripon is really out in the middle of nowhere and your husband must be getting caught up in that 580/238 traffic ... not something I envy in the least. Commuting that long takes a really big toll on the body.

Why not somewhere like Pleasanton? Hayward? San Jose? You won't be buying a grand house, but the $$ on commuting and health might be worth it.

Old 04-12-2014, 11:14 PM

6 posts, read 11,556 times
Unless you and/or your children are bathing and swimming in the pesticides, like the person above said, your health risks are more acute from wild fires and cars. It's a dose/response correlation and your dose just by living in that area isn't worth your concern.

Old 04-13-2014, 12:42 AM

1,059 posts, read 1,208,300 times
To the OP, you should do what your heart tells you to do. If the Bay Area is too expensive, then you may not have a choice. But I do have to ask why Ripon? There's other parts of the Valley that are very nice...ie Sacramento and its suburbs. I lived in the Bay Area, moved to Sacramento, and currently have a chance to move to downtown SF....and there's no way I would leave the valley. I have my own house here and I know I can afford it. I think areas like Folsom and Roseville may suit you a little better since I never heard anything about pesticides there. (but i could be very wrong) And both cities are known for having outstanding schools. It will cost more than Ripon, (look on zillow.com to get a ball park figure) but I don't think you would regret that move.

I don't know where your husband lives, but would it be possible for him to relocate anywhere in the valley? Just like what another post said, he's going to miss alot of quality home time and he's going to be very stressed out. My mom did that commute for a year and I could already tell that it took a toll on her.

Old 04-14-2014, 11:51 AM

13,711 posts, read 9,235,353 times
Hey millbraemommy, you've moved to Ripon but your screen name still says Milbrae. You use language like "get the hell out" of Ripon. You long for Milbrae like a child longs for Disneyland. You even inquired with your landlord in Milbrae about availability...

Isn't it obvious? Yes, indeed, get the hell out and go to where you want to be. If you're looking for an assurance that you're doing the right thing, well just follows your heart.

Last edited by beb0p; 04-14-2014 at 12:03 PM..

Old 04-14-2014, 03:32 PM

3,245 posts, read 6,302,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by millbraemommy View Post
i want our children to attend a good schools that will prepare them for college. we thought ripon would offer that, but so far, i am bummed out about their school system. my husband thinks we got spoiled with millbrae school and thinks that our children will be fine in ripon.
Great wisdom form your husband!

How did you survive with four kids in an apartment? Since it seems like you just bought your house it will be difficult to sell it at a profit. If you sell it at the same price you paid you lose the realtor's commission & closing costs. Are you ready to take a $14,000-$20,000 loss? Since you have already moved there I suggest giving Ripon at least a year. At least you don't have to worry much about earthquakes compared to Millbrae!

Old 09-08-2014, 04:19 PM

2 posts, read 5,656 times
My husband commutes also. Through the years I have lived in San Jose,Dublin, Livermore, Tracy, manteca,and Modesto. Ripon now for almost 4 years. Easy access to Hwy 99,5,120. Small community. Vertualy no crime. Quiet and peaceful. Decent schools, clean and community orientated. We like it.

Old 09-11-2014, 03:43 AM

833 posts, read 1,199,453 times
Plot of land, trailer, call it a day.

Old 10-20-2014, 12:38 AM

1 posts, read 1,151 times
I am from Bay Area, too, commuted for a good 6yrs- 20-25 hours on the road to and fro. It was absolutely ridiculous! Sure you do get used to it after a time, but suddenly, your kids are adults and moving out and you wonder --- what happened to the time? I regretted moving after that. I felt that I invested so much time on the road and work that my family time was gone in no time and you can NEVER rewind. So please move closer to the job unless you have a strict plan to get a job near your home within a short time frame so you don't miss out. Money comes and goes. Time and family are irreplaceable. Hope you make the right choice for your family. Good luck!

Old 10-20-2014, 07:47 AM

4,038 posts, read 4,864,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ketch89 View Post
Decades of advertising and propaganda have told us that "The American Dream" is owning a home. It's simply not true, your quality of life overall would be much higher without the ridiculous commute.
I think in the OP's case it's pretty clear that buying a home wasn't so much about "the American dream" as it was being able to live someplace where the rent wasn't getting jacked up $100/year or more. People need stability in their lives, they can't be schlepping from one apartment to the next every few years just because of insane rent increases. At least now, their expenses are fixed, they know what to expect.

I have to agree with the poster who suggested checking out Sacramento, though. It's a lot closer to the Bay while still affordable. I wonder what kind of research the OP and her husband did before making such a radical decision as Ripon for a move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland