Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 11:52 AM

302 posts, read 932,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drowningintherain2 View Post
Parts of San Francisco remind me of Vancouver...however SF has an edgier grittier feel to it. In Canada, Vancouver is referred to as "the San Francisco of Canada" but that has more to do with our large homeless population and the perception of other Canadians that Vancouver is radically left wing. I don't think that Vancouver is that much colder than SF. Last June I left the sun here and dealt with cold and rain for a week there.
Rain? I don't think it's ever rained in June, or July, or August, or September since I've been here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2008, 11:55 AM

3,722 posts, read 4,294,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAPalms View Post
There's a section on Los Angeles called San Pedro, very hilly sections in the harbor area. It looks much like sections of our beautiful Northern Cousin. Many a shoot has taken place there.
San Pedro??????????????? Naaaaaaaaaaaaaah

Old 07-02-2008, 11:56 AM

302 posts, read 932,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron von Costume View Post
I would say it reminds me a lot of Seattle.

After a garbage truck exploded and spread litter and urine around.
Sorry, I've lived in Seattle and it ain't any cleaner than SF. SF gets a bad wrap, mainly because one of our poorest and dirtiest neighborhoods is basically right next to the bustling shopping district. I live between the Castro and the mission, and the Castro is as clean as 15th Ave (on Capitol Hill) and Broadway (Capitol Hill) is as dirty as the Mission. The Central District is also really dirty in Seattle and Belltown ain't that sparkling clean either. Of course, like any where, the more wealthy areas are cleaner and well kept.

Old 07-02-2008, 11:58 AM

3,722 posts, read 4,294,363 times
Either people are bored, running out of ideas of what to post, or smokin' some outta date stuff. I can' t think of anywhere else that reminds me of Frisco.

Old 07-03-2008, 12:52 PM

367 posts, read 693,265 times
I live in Vermont and consider Burlington to be somewhat close to my beloved San Francisco. Obviously it does not have the population, but the progressive political attitude out here and grass roots activism are very similar to San Francisco.

But, San Francisco has more diversity and it doesn't get 14 feet of snow every winter......

Old 07-08-2008, 10:17 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,699,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron von Costume View Post
I would say it reminds me a lot of Seattle.

After a garbage truck exploded and spread litter and urine around.
HA! Having lived in both cities, I can truly appreciate your comment. Seattle is like San Francisco if a tsunami came and washed away the filth and somebody replaced the population with a bunch of passive-aggressive white people.

Old 07-08-2008, 10:21 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,699,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticBohemian View Post
It depends on what you mean by "remind you of". I did a 21-month stint in Seattle and initially I thought that it reminded me of SF. However, it took very little time to squash that notion. There are some neighborhoods (Fremont, Capitol Hill) that kind of have an eclectic feel but they are devoid of the social energy that seems to pervade SF neighborhoods. I honestly don't think (personal opinion) that Seattlites are as liberal as they project. I think it is more that they are conflict averse which causes them not to really speak their minds.

Having said that, Seattle is VERY beautiful, and has some very beautiful neighborhoods in their own right but you will never get that bohemian feel that you get in SF. I also think Seattle has a very introverted culture (nothing wrong with that, just different) and it does not easily welcome strangers they way that SF seems to do.

Now for my recommendation of a city like SF, I would say Barcelona, Spain (except weather) and maybe Buenos Aires, Argentina.

This is even more accurate! I'm glad there are people out there who understand what I've been through.

Seattle would be amazing if there was no city there. The same can't be said for San Francisco, which (like Pittsburgh and Vancouver) blends with its natural environment seamlessly.

Old 07-08-2008, 10:27 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,355,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EWKMLT View Post
Pittsburgh?
Thats it, I'm leaving.
Yes, Pittsburgh. That's what I, a native Pittsburgher, thought the first time I visited SF. It's the hills.

Old 07-08-2008, 10:27 PM

110 posts, read 376,331 times
Cincinnati for reasons I can't entirely explain. Bridges, water and Devo perhaps..oh yeah...hills

Old 07-08-2008, 10:55 PM

153 posts, read 567,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwoodlvr View Post
I agree. Perhaps it's the architecture, hills and diverse neighborhoods within each city that is similar. For me, it was mostly the energy that was very similar.
Just my opinion but there is NO WAY San Francisco compares to any part of Italy. Been there many times, all through Italy. Had an Italian girlfriend there. But just my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland