Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2016, 01:09 PM

4 posts, read 10,165 times

Advertisements

Hi there!

I have looked through all the existing threads and have a couple questions I was hoping to get help with.

My husband is likely to receive a job offer in Modesto. We currently live in the South Bay area of Los Angeles, CA, so we are totally new to the area. We like where we live but would like more open space (easier to improve from LA i'm sure) and less smog. I also am trying to do my research as we moved a couple miles from a refinery that has exploded more than once and we want to avoid moving next to something like this again.

Below is what we hold important, I would also love insight as to any known environmental issues (such as exploding refineries, poor air quality from nearby plant, etc) that I might not find easily with research. I really appreciate any insight!

1. Safe town
2. Good schools (we have a 3 and 5 year old)
3. Good parks and easy access to open space
4. commute not much over an hour (his company does have a shuttle with wifi so he can work on the way some days, but don't want to do too much over an hour... being from LA this is a normal commute to us).
5. Not right next to a large crop field (allergies)
6. diverse community would be a plus - we live in a very diverse part of South Bay and enjoy that.
7. Amenities close by, police, fire dept, hospitals, all in reasonable distance
8. farmers market is a plus!
9. no exploding refineries or other risky industrial place located next to homes
10. since we own our home in the South Bay, we can likely afford homes in these areas, it would just be a smaller and older home in the more expensive areas.
11. I telecommute so i don't have a commute, and i also take care of kids, so the kiddos and i would love a community feel where we live.
12. We do have some extended family in Berkley and Freemont, but those areas are too far to commute.

I know that is a long list, but any help i would really appreciate.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2016, 05:18 PM

3,244 posts, read 6,297,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catmichelle View Post
1. Safe town
2. Good schools (we have a 3 and 5 year old)
3. Good parks and easy access to open space
4. commute not much over an hour (his company does have a shuttle with wifi so he can work on the way some days, but don't want to do too much over an hour... being from LA this is a normal commute to us).
5. Not right next to a large crop field (allergies)
6. diverse community would be a plus - we live in a very diverse part of South Bay and enjoy that.
7. Amenities close by, police, fire dept, hospitals, all in reasonable distance
8. farmers market is a plus!
9. no exploding refineries or other risky industrial place located next to homes
10. since we own our home in the South Bay, we can likely afford homes in these areas, it would just be a smaller and older home in the more expensive areas.
11. I telecommute so i don't have a commute, and i also take care of kids, so the kiddos and i would love a community feel where we live.
12. We do have some extended family in Berkley and Fremont, but those areas are too far to commute.

I know that is a long list, but any help i would really appreciate.
I would avoid Dublin, Pleasanton & Livermore. You will be paying a lot more in rent to have a 50 mile commute everyday. I suggest looking in Ripon or Turlock.

Old 08-27-2016, 11:44 PM

Thank you for the reply. My husband has asthma and allergies so I'm a little worried about being in Ripon and Turlock so close to crops, etc. My best friend is from Turlock and loved it but had terrible asthma issues until she moved away, she advised us to be cautious around the area for that reason. I have looked at Ripon and it looks so great, but I'm really concerned about asthma and allergies there, so I'm trying to gather more information on other options...any tips appreciated!

Old 08-28-2016, 10:59 AM

4,321 posts, read 6,280,585 times
Quote:
Thank you for the reply. My husband has asthma and allergies so I'm a little worried about being in Ripon and Turlock so close to crops, etc. My best friend is from Turlock and loved it but had terrible asthma issues until she moved away, she advised us to be cautious around the area for that reason. I have looked at Ripon and it looks so great, but I'm really concerned about asthma and allergies there, so I'm trying to gather more information on other options...any tips appreciated!
Your husband would still have to deal with the allergy problems during his work day, no?

Honestly, the tri-valley area has a lot of allergens as well. Maybe better air quality than the central valley, but in the springtime, my allergies have killed me (for about a 2 month period), with all of the wild mustard flowers.

Old 08-28-2016, 02:05 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,200,354 times
Tri Valley is allergy hell. One of the first allergy clinics opened in Livermore several decades ago and I had to commute from Hayward (well, my parents did) when I became a patient. It was annoying and I always felt worse going there so we asked them WHY they opened in Livermore of all the god forsaken places, which it was back in the day. They said this is where the majority of allergy sufferers are and there's a huge market for it.

Living closer to work isn't going to impact allergies. Embrace antihistamines, I have. If you move here you will suffer from those and a raging case of 2 hour a day commutes. You lives will be miserable all around. Live closer to work, Tracy is as far as you should go IMO.

Old 08-28-2016, 03:48 PM

1,963 posts, read 3,042,705 times
San Ramon.

Old 08-28-2016, 03:58 PM

3,244 posts, read 6,297,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo666 View Post
San Ramon.
San Ramon is worse than Livermore since their one way commute would be about 60 miles including the jam on the 680 freeway.

Old 08-28-2016, 04:41 PM

Thanks so much for the feedback Is Tracey a nice place to live? i see on city data people talking about the crime etc., but I know that may not be accurate portrayal of the city as a whole... what is it like to actually live there? anyone know? Are the allergies any better? I know its the area, and I know he will be working there.. but also trying to maybe live in a place easier for my kiddos allergy-wise as well. i went to Chico state and had a really hard time with the allergies up there even though i loved the area.. any feedback on Tracy? or Mountain House?

Just trying to pick a place we would really love. We are in LA now and an hour to an hour and fifteen minute commute is pretty average...his company does have a free shuttle that is already running from East bay (so no extra pollution) which is part of why that felt like an okay option.. he could work on the shuttle and its already running regardless.

Last edited by catmichelle; 08-28-2016 at 05:07 PM..

Old 08-28-2016, 05:15 PM

4,321 posts, read 6,280,585 times
Quote:
Just trying to pick a place we would really love. We are in LA now and an hour to an hour and fifteen minute commute is pretty average...his company does have a free shuttle that is already running from East bay (so no extra pollution) which is part of why that felt like an okay option.. he could work on the shuttle and its already running regardless.
If you're looking to move to the tri-valley, I would do so because of the better schools (and closer proximity to SF for weekend trips), not the better allergies.

I've been through Tracy and haven't been too impressed, to be honest. Probably not as bad as folks portray it, but not much going on either. I don't think the schools are great either. I also don't think allergies would be better. The smog is worse in the central valley than the tri-valley and I don't think the allergens would be any better. Closer to work though.

Old 08-30-2016, 09:48 AM

Thank you @roadwarrior101. much appreciated.

my husband made the trip this past week and did the commute during traffic hours from livermore to modesto and back (in the morning and back leaving modesto about 5:30), and said "it wasn't bad at all" (we live in LA so obviously our perception of a bad commute is different than people coming from other areas).

I am interested in living in an area with good schools. My husband grew up in a really nice school district, and my district was a lot more turbulent with some gang problems, our experiences were totally different. If at all possible I would like the kids to grow up in a good and safe school district without known gang issues.

Does anyone have any feedback about livermore? It would be beneficial to me to be closer to the bay area for my work when I travel occasionally for day trips, although not required. I work remotely and our office is in LA, but I would need to go to SF, Berkley, and other Bay area locations occasionally.

I saw there is a big nuclear lab in Livermore, is there any negative impact on the community? I only ask because we bought a beautiful home 2 mies from a refinery that has had SO many issues that now the US EPA is getting involved. I know a lot of good information comes from those living in the area and really value feedback... is LIvermore a nice place to live? Is there a better area to live within the city?

Thank you SO MUCH, I appreciate your time VERY much!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland