Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2014, 12:49 PM

2 posts, read 2,755 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, I am moving to San Francisco this May and I have just started looking for apartments. I understand that the neighbourhoods can be vastly different and I was considering Marina, Mission, SoMo, and Nob Hill.

My office is near Pier 23 off the Embarcadero and ideally, I would like to be reasonably. I am 23 year old single, heterosexual male. I love food and the outdoors. I would like to be near affordable nightlife and I don't mind roommates.

My salary is $50k (with a travel stipend) which to me sounds like a decent amount of money but from what I hear that is chump change in San Francisco. Any thoughts on which neighbourhood might suit my salary and lifestyle?

Thank you!
Rob
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2014, 01:19 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,462,326 times
The neighborhoods you listed are quite different from one another, and none is especially close to Pier 23 area, which is not particularly well-served by public transportation; you might look into commuting by bicycle (which you could also use to explore Marin County on weekends -- there are some great bike routes just across the Golden Gate Bridge).

The Mission is probably your best best for youth-oriented nightlife, but it's become quite expensive, and you'll probably find yourself paying $1100-1200 a month for a small room in someone else's apartment. Plus a share of utilities. The Marina attracts more of a "preppy" (i.e. moneyed) crowd. Nob Hill itself is rather quiet; it livens up as you move down the southern slope, but be aware that many of the places listed as "Lower Nob Hill" on Craigslist are actually in the extremely undesirable Tenderloin area.

SoMa has quite a few bars and clubs too, but they seem to attract more of a "bridge and tunnel" crowd. And it too has become expensive, despite the lingering scruffiness that makes it occasionally unsafe to walk around at night. The Mission has its share of crime too, but much of it is gang-related.

But anyway, you can live in SF on $50K, but you will definitely have roommates, and you won't have a car, or much money left over for savings, retirement, travel, etc.

Old 04-28-2014, 01:26 PM

2 posts, read 2,755 times
Hey pch1013, thanks for the insight. I found out, just after posting, that Nob Hill is a bit more residential and expensive so I'm probably counting that out. That price range for Mission isn't as bad as I expected, I think I could do that. Thanks again!

Old 04-28-2014, 01:35 PM

43 posts, read 107,370 times
Hi Rob,
Unfortunately, $50K is a lower salary these days for SF. It is possible to live in the city on that salary, but you will make many sacrifices, such as living in a less desirable location, having roommates, not having a car and not going out much. Unless you are banking on significant upward mobility in your job, you also will likely never save much for retirement.

That being said, you are 23 years old and it is a rite of passage to live a little when you are young. Be young and have fun, but I suggest you try to find a place that is rent-controlled to protect you from rent increases in the future. Maybe in a few years, you might want to rethink living in the City if your salary hasn't changed much.

Old 04-28-2014, 01:57 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,462,326 times
Re: rent control, you should be aware that it covers any building of more than 2 units built before 1979, and (this is the key point as far as the OP is concerned) it is illegal for the "master tenant" to charge you more than a proportional share of the rent.

So, for example, if you're looking at a room in a century-old building, and the master tenant has been there for 10 years, and they're asking $1500 for one of three bedrooms, they are trying to rip you off.

Old 04-29-2014, 09:00 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,136,325 times
The Mission checks a lot of boxes for you, but it is not very convenient to the Pier 23 area. Unfortunately, the neighborhoods immediately around that area, North Beach, Russian Hill, Telegraph Hill, and the Financial District will be like the Marina--too expensive. If I were you, I'd take a look at Western Addition and think about bicycle commuting. You'll still need roommates, though.

Good luck. The rental market is highly competitive for those making twice your salary. It may seem completely brutal to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland