Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 10:01 PM

372 posts, read 513,965 times

Advertisements

I'd try for Lamorinda or Marin, which fit your requirements very closely - bucolic, scenic, lots of open space. Alameda does not seem like a good fit for you IMO, as it is more urban. I'd look into the the Oakland or Berkeley hills first. Castro Valley, Hayward hills, Pleasanton and Dublin along 580 are also good options if you are looking for more spread out and less density.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2014, 11:38 AM

379 posts, read 785,706 times
You might want to look into Green Valley in Fairfield. It's a very nice, spacious, and safe community where you'll get a lot more for your money. It's roughly equidistant between SF and Sacramento, and on days you need to go into SF you can take casual carpool or use the local Amtrak station. Also, the weather will be more similar to what you're used to in the Central Valley.

Old 05-08-2014, 02:48 PM

121 posts, read 142,617 times
You want Marin County. I've always highly valued quiet and after living in SF, Oakland, and Marin I strongly suggest Marin County. I used to work in the Financial district. You need to check out Golden Gate Transit (large Greyhound type busses which go from Marin to the Financial district.). Find out which routes are close to your office and find a place in Marin that is close to the bus line. The only issue is there is limited bus service later in the evening so if you want to work and then go out for drinks and dinner and a show you need to plan on bringing a car into the city for the day or taking a $40-50 cab ride home). Also see the Larkspur Ferry which takes you to the Ferry building in SF. Marin is quiet, safe, very very boring, and has lots of Greenspace. Golden Gate Transit is a very civilized way to commute (provided the bus schedule works for you) and this is from someone who prefers to drive a car everywhere.

Personally I don't like BART. Its really slow and unless you board near the end of the line you're not going to get a seat. When I lived in Oakland I moved there thinking I'd take BART in. After two months I started taking casual car pool into SF and BART home. Causal car pool was great, not sure if that is still around.

Last edited by Netflix; 05-08-2014 at 02:56 PM..

Old 05-08-2014, 03:18 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Netflix View Post

Personally I don't like BART. Its really slow and unless you board near the end of the line you're not going to get a seat. When I lived in Oakland I moved there thinking I'd take BART in. After two months I started taking casual car pool into SF and BART home. Causal car pool was great, not sure if that is still around.
BART is pretty speedy, but packed from Oakland. It is about a 20 minute ride from North Oakland. That is 5 minutes longer than driving when there is no traffic, and you live by the freeway. Not sure where slow comes from.

There still is casual carpool, and most of the inner east bay has bus service to downtown SF as well. It takes less than 20 minutes on the bus from my apartment. Some of the buses have wifi, but my route rarely does. Other routes have them constantly.

Casual carpool is available in Alameda, as are the Transbay buses to SF. Alameda has commuter ones, and ones that run all day as well. (As do Berkeley and Oakland)

I live near Piedmont Ave, a mixed age/ethnicity area in Oakland. Lots of single females of all ages. I know a few 60 year old ladies in the neighborhood who manage just fine! It is a great neighborhood. Close to a lot of stuff. If you live on the Rose Garden side, as i do, parking is easier and it is quieter. It basically takes 30 minutes or less to downtown SF via any mode: car, bus, bus to bart/bart, bike to bart/bart and casual carpool. Driving alone is a little over 30 minutes.

Pics of the Oakland Rose Garden:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Mo...8455d3!6m1!1e1

I live about 2 blocks from here.

Old 05-11-2014, 07:58 PM

33 posts, read 56,571 times
I have to admit, part of me is trying to figure out how to stay working where I am currently. I'm on the very edge of the Sacramento region in the low rolling hills, and places like Placerville are only about 17 miles away. I really prefer the city to the country, and I could afford to buy a place in the sierra foothills, where that wll be impossible in the bay area until after I retire.

It's actually my option. Going to the bay area is better for my career, but staying put fits my lifestyle much better. Still leaning toward making the move, but I'm hedging a bit...

Old 05-12-2014, 07:23 PM

33 posts, read 56,571 times
Thanks to everyone for your help and suggestions!

Netflix, I hadn't really given Marin a lot of thought, because I assumed I would have to drive in, but you've given me something to think about and research. I appreciate it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland