Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2007, 08:47 AM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Vito View Post
got snarky cause of a diamond? maybe they knew what about 100 africans had to go through so you could have your fancy ring...
Huh?? It happens to be a family heirloom, which my mother lent me for a wedding, and I forgot to remove it the next day... not that I should have to justify it, since I'm hardly the only woman who wears a diamond. And what I meant by "snarky" was that they pointed it out, asked if it was real, and one person said "I didn't realize librarians made such good money!" We actually do earn a decent salary, but it won't exactly make you a millionaire. Anyway, that was all besides the point - my point was that I DON'T dress fancy (or wear flashy jewelry) for work, because of the type of neighborhood & profession I work in.

P.S. Can we please keep this thread & the others free of personal bickering? I'm noticing a lot of that lately, and don't want to pull out the moderator RED PEN!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2007, 09:21 AM

302 posts, read 933,225 times
Quote:
yea well in my social circles we drink beer and drive fast cars so you can keep your spelling. having an expensive suit or in your words "looking professional" does not correlate at all to success. See: John ********, George Bush (jr and sr), alberto gonzales,donald rumsfeld..... need i keep going? You can go a head and take those people seriously because of what they wear. That is exactly why SF is so concerned with immage. You just prooved it. And all the alternative people who dress punk, freak, hippie, etc are just as concerned with their immage otherwise they wouldnt dress like that to get attention.
It's not SF hon, it's the business world. I have to wear a suit and tie every day. Studies have shown that what a person wears to work doesn't matter to about 95% of potential clients, but it's very important to 5%. Therefore, dress matters a lot - how do you know who is in that 95% when you're facing a potential client? I'm sorry, but in my line of work, it would be completely unacceptable to dress down, in San Francisco, New York, Chicago, or any where else. I guarantee every single male in my company (and it's one of the largest in the world) wears a suit and tie - per New York orders.

Old 12-21-2007, 09:23 AM

302 posts, read 933,225 times
Quote:
I wore a nice suit to my last court appearance does that count?
You're actually kind of funny when you want to be Seriously. This post cracked me up. It's really refreshing to see the humorous side of you.

Old 12-21-2007, 10:43 AM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirsten_g View Post
I'm not talking about 'social' circles, my friend. I am talking about the 9-5 grind in a professional setting. Try selling a new product to a room full of leary investors in a T-shirt and jeans, and see how many take you seriously, (unless you're Steve Jobs)! Try again in a suit and tie, and I guarantee you will get a different response, (unless you're Kevin Federline!).

Gizmo got it. I agree that looking professional can be correlative to your occupation. I can wear jeans to work, also, and I know how to dress them up without being sleazy. I see plenty of mini skirts and heels in the salons, but for me, I want to come off being professional more than trendy. And at least in my social circles we know how to spell: Cinderella!
I want the person who cuts my hair to look like she cares. Which means dressing professionally. Which could mean lots of ways actually -- but I am agreeing with you here.

Now if I could find someone closer than Walnut Creek to cut my hair and not take all the curl out..... but if I get to keep my curly mane by driving to WC and paying 65 bucks.... I'll make the trek.

Old 12-21-2007, 10:47 AM

463 posts, read 646,563 times
I cant reply fully because i can get banned so ill try my best not to "troll" but yea.... i disagree with all of you. gizmo a good movie you should watch : blood diamond with leonardo dicaprio. it really makes you think about the bloody diamond game.

Old 12-21-2007, 11:46 AM

Quote:
I cant reply fully because i can get banned so ill try my best not to "troll" but yea.... i disagree with all of you. gizmo a good movie you should watch : blood diamond with leonardo dicaprio. it really makes you think about the bloody diamond game.
Why? Because I once wore a diamond ring to work? Puuhlease... married women wear diamonds every day, and you probably wouldn't lecture them! This is silly and off-topic, Don Vito. Oh, but I do want to see that movie, since I heard it was great.

Old 12-21-2007, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I want the person who cuts my hair to look like she cares. Which means dressing professionally. Which could mean lots of ways actually -- but I am agreeing with you here.

Now if I could find someone closer than Walnut Creek to cut my hair and not take all the curl out..... but if I get to keep my curly mane by driving to WC and paying 65 bucks.... I'll make the trek.
I have a great hairdresser in the city (Bernal Heights), who doesn't destroy my curls! If you ever feel like saving the trip to WC, I'll be happy to refer you. And yes, I agree - my hairdresser should look put-together, and so should my banker, the salespeople at nice stores, and so forth. Like it or not, that's just how the world works... doesn't mean they all have to dress a certain way, but there is a way to look professional in any style.

Old 12-21-2007, 11:49 AM

463 posts, read 646,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Why? Because I once wore a diamond ring to work? Puuhlease... married women wear diamonds every day, and you probably wouldn't lecture them! This is silly and off-topic, Don Vito. Oh, but I do want to see that movie, since I heard it was great.
Gavin Newsom has really good tastes in suits i must admitt. If there is a person that knows how to dress with a style that just jumps out at you as SF (in a classy way) than it's that guy.

Old 12-21-2007, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Gavin Newsom has really good tastes in suits i must admitt. If there is a person that knows how to dress with a style that just jumps out at you as SF (in a classy way) than it's that guy.
That man could look good in a paper bag, but I digress... yes, he does have good taste in suits - I think.

Old 12-21-2007, 11:54 AM

Yeah, I love his.... ummmm... suit... The man does know how to dress!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland