Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 08:44 AM

30,354 posts, read 51,942,966 times

Advertisements

No offense to anyone, but I think Santa Clara is rather dull... my best friend owns a place there, and only bought it because it was cheap & new - she's been talking about moving north for years! It's basically just a family community, mostly for the techies & engineers who work in Silicon Valley. They have a very large Asian (Indian in particular) population, if that matters, and no real downtown area that I know of. As for San Jose, I don't know much about it, but I'm sure the social life would be more active than in Santa Clara! It's a big city, so you won't have any problems finding people & activities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2007, 09:32 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,154,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Yes, that's almost true, but it can slow down earlier than Belmont. I briefly commuted from EPA to San Francisco, and the pattern always went like this - easy from EPA to Redwood City, slowed down until Hillsdale/92, sped up until Broadway/Burlingame, and was slow until we passed 380... then it was pretty smooth until my exit @ Silver Ave., but was probably heavy into downtown. Traffic on 101 is so annoying!!

P.S. My commute was sometimes a bit later, since I worked either at 9am, 10am, or 12pm - so maybe it shifts south a little as the morning goes on.
I leave Whipple/Redwood City at 7:30, and it's always easy from there to 92 (or to 3rd Avenue on a good day), then inch inch inch all the way through San Mateo to Burlingame. Still only takes 30-35 minutes.

Old 12-12-2007, 11:52 AM

3,722 posts, read 14,724,505 times
Also check out San Carlos just south of Belmont. Lots of apartments in the downtown area and within walking distance of shopping, restaurants on Laurel St. and the Caltrain station and a library are nearby. San Carlos has more of a "downtown" than Belmont. I think a commute between Belmont and San Jose/Santa Clara area would be too far (about 20-25 miles one way).

Old 12-13-2007, 02:52 PM

23 posts, read 172,363 times
Thanks for the suggestion on San Carlos. How easy is the commute between San Carlos and Belmont during traffic hours?

Old 12-13-2007, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ile Flottante View Post
Thanks for the suggestion on San Carlos. How easy is the commute between San Carlos and Belmont during traffic hours?
I wouldn't even get on the freeway.. I'd just take El Camino, by the time you get over to 101 you could have been there already. Very short commute.

Old 12-13-2007, 04:37 PM

30,354 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
It's nothing... like sonarrat said, you can take El Camino the whole way, or Alameda de las Pulgas depending on your exact location. I'd always use Alameda when I lived there (Belmont), since I lived right off it, and the traffic is minimal to empty most times of the day. You shouldn't have more than 5-10 minutes - TOPS - with a commute between the two cities.

Old 12-14-2007, 09:59 AM

23 posts, read 172,363 times
San Carlos seems on the top of the list. What about Foster City? Is it good to live and commute from? Thanks

Old 12-14-2007, 10:08 AM

Quote:
San Carlos seems on the top of the list. What about Foster City? Is it good to live and commute from? Thanks
101 is horrible in that direction, but if you're just going to Belmont it's not a big deal. You could take E Hillsdale to 101 and dodge the nastiness coming off the San Mateo Bridge, and then it's only about a mile of crawling to the Belmont exit at Ralston. Unfortunately there's no surface street joining Foster City to Redwood Shores east of the freeway.

Old 12-14-2007, 07:52 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,712,823 times
If you guys dont like the Nightlife in Palo Alto, I use to frequent downtown Mt. View. Castro St. Has a lot of cool little places. I know downtown Sunnyvale was ok for a while but that was the early 2000's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland