Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 07:40 AM

371 posts, read 454,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2Yuppie View Post
Where are these IT-tech buses I hear about? never seen them are they in south san fran?
They're somewhat unnoticeable by they're giant white buses, usually double-decker, and if you don't focus on them they just look like tour buses. They tend to have an orange sign near the door, and they stop at MUNI stops.

I used to never know what they were when they kept strangely stopping and letting people off at Taraval and 16th St/ California 1 stop. Which was also a popular MUNI stop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2014, 12:42 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,819,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdGen SFan View Post
How far back in time? If you mean prior to the 1990s, rent & house prices were more reasonable, and I personally only remember a couple of unreasonably high rent & building lease hikes.

The 1990s was different because more people than usual moved into SF, and a lot of landlords began gouging. Most people blamed the landlords for that because many of the renters who couldn't afford the rents were transplants.

The first tech boom made costs worse, not to mention the traffic & competition for parking, and this new tech boom increased problems for many people, although the tech shuttle buses do help prevent making the traffic & parking competition into a huge disaster.

I don't rent, I'm still able to afford to live here, and I don't compete for parking (gave up driving in the 1990s), but I still have some compassion for people experiencing problems I'd hate to have myself.
The easy way to not have to worry about increasing cost of rent is to own.

Rising rent is the down side to the upside of no maintenance and no risk. You pay the set amount for the contracted time and that is all you worry about. Roof leaks, not your problem, toilets clogged, not your problem, fence falls down, not your problem, etc. It is like people expect land lords to run a charity. I wonder how many tenants paid above market rate during the recession because the landlord was taking a bath as rents decreased with their property value.

Old 05-13-2014, 01:56 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,276,539 times
Too bad there is a shortage of affordable properties pretty much everywhere in the desirable parts of the Bay. Even if you can afford it, good luck competing with all cash buyers who will routinely overbid by 100K over list...

Old 05-13-2014, 02:40 PM

1,023 posts, read 1,551,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
Sf is merely the urban suburb where techies are domiciled.

Most commute to silicon valley for work.
What is your data source confirming that "most" tech employees who live in SF commute to Silicon Valley for work? That doesn't seem likely to me.

From the latest census data, there are ~440,000 employed residents (all sectors) in SF, and ~19,000 employees who commute from SF to Santa Clara County (all sectors). That's about 4% - a far cry from "most."

The latest estimate of total tech shuttle ridership in the Bay Area is 7,000 riders. That includes shuttles that don't touch San Francisco (e.g. East Bay shuttles, shuttles from South SJ to employers, etc). There are about 3.5 million total commuters in the Bay Area, so tech shuttle riders represent 0.2%.

Old 05-13-2014, 06:46 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,160,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentobox34 View Post
What is your data source confirming that "most" tech employees who live in SF commute to Silicon Valley for work? That doesn't seem likely to me.

From the latest census data, there are ~440,000 employed residents (all sectors) in SF, and ~19,000 employees who commute from SF to Santa Clara County (all sectors). That's about 4% - a far cry from "most."

The latest estimate of total tech shuttle ridership in the Bay Area is 7,000 riders. That includes shuttles that don't touch San Francisco (e.g. East Bay shuttles, shuttles from South SJ to employers, etc). There are about 3.5 million total commuters in the Bay Area, so tech shuttle riders represent 0.2%.
Silcon valley is everything from fremont (cisco) to redwood shores(ea games, oracle).

I'm talking about tech workers in sf, not all workers , and not people who ride google bus or what ever.

Old 05-13-2014, 07:43 PM

578 posts, read 1,294,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdGen SFan View Post
The first tech boom made costs worse, not to mention the traffic & competition for parking, and this new tech boom increased problems for many people, although the tech shuttle buses do help prevent making the traffic & parking competition into a huge disaster.
Not really correct... in the past two years, traffic has gotten much, much worse. Used to be able to go from OAK to Santa Cruz in 2 hours, now it takes 1.5 hours just to get from OAK to MV. Only a small minority of workers take the buses, apparently.

Old 05-14-2014, 12:03 PM

1,023 posts, read 1,551,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
Silcon valley is everything from fremont (cisco) to redwood shores(ea games, oracle).

I'm talking about tech workers in sf, not all workers , and not people who ride google bus or what ever.
OK, I'm still waiting for the data that shows that "most" tech employees who live in SF work in Silicon Valley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland