Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 04:50 AM

732 posts, read 968,388 times

Advertisements

somebody came to your hometown or city you call home and complained about major characteristics of it?

I don't understand some newcomers who come to SF and whine about this city. Nobody's forced to move here, and the cost of living here isn't cheap, so why would they choose to live here then?

I've read the excuse of relocating here for jobs, but I find it hard to believe someone would be dumb enough to choose money over their happiness. What good is a high salary if it's not buying happiness or at least satisfaction?

Old 05-15-2014, 07:56 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,819,084 times
I complain at my home area all the time. I've lived in various places in the Bay Area over my entire life and will complain about them as I see fit.

I was unaware of some rule that says I must love every aspect of this state and Bay Area because I live here.

Old 05-15-2014, 08:38 AM

483 posts, read 842,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdGen SFan View Post
somebody came to your hometown or city you call home and complained about major characteristics of it?
I would agree or disagree with their assessment and then move on like an adult.

Old 05-15-2014, 08:53 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,134,833 times
I'm a transplant who moved, not for a job, but just to be here. So, I knew what I was getting into and accepted it eagerly. I think SF is one of the world's great cities.

Now, I do ****** about Muni, real estate prices, and a few other of the usual suspects, and I commiserate with fellow San Franciscans. But, I think that's part of the urban experience and am happy to be here at the end of the day.

The ones that I find ridiculous are those who don't live in San Francisco, yet complain about it and especially deride its politics, urban issues like homeless, etc. there are several offenders on CD who live in places like the Peninsula, San Jose, San Lorenzo, etc. who go on and on about how terrible it is in the City. they have some kind of agenda known only to them. There are, of course, legitimate gripes, but their broad generalizations about a place where they have little to no personal investment makes them look like clowns.

Old 05-15-2014, 09:08 AM

8,982 posts, read 10,459,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
they have some kind of agenda known only to them. There are, of course, legitimate gripes, but their broad generalizations about a place where they have little to no personal investment makes them look like clowns.
I believe some of the animus might have a bit of a political component, esp. when people who live thousands of miles away, and have never even been to California (much less SF) constantly bash our city and pray for it to fall into the sea.

Something to do with the former Speaker of the House, I believe.

Old 05-15-2014, 09:19 AM

2,201 posts, read 3,359,496 times
Quote:
how would you like it if somebody came to your hometown or city you call home and complained about major characteristics of it?
There will always be people like that. Sometimes their complaints are valid, other times not so much. And what one person sees as a negative, you may feel is a positive. Sometimes it's just their personality ("cup half empty" folks). I don't really enjoy being around people who complain a lot, and when they do I just nod and smile and move on.

Old 05-15-2014, 10:17 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,819,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
I'm a transplant who moved, not for a job, but just to be here. So, I knew what I was getting into and accepted it eagerly. I think SF is one of the world's great cities.

Now, I do ****** about Muni, real estate prices, and a few other of the usual suspects, and I commiserate with fellow San Franciscans. But, I think that's part of the urban experience and am happy to be here at the end of the day.

The ones that I find ridiculous are those who don't live in San Francisco, yet complain about it and especially deride its politics, urban issues like homeless, etc. there are several offenders on CD who live in places like the Peninsula, San Jose, San Lorenzo, etc. who go on and on about how terrible it is in the City. they have some kind of agenda known only to them. There are, of course, legitimate gripes, but their broad generalizations about a place where they have little to no personal investment makes them look like clowns.
The irony from someone who posts heavily about other cities in various sub forums on this board.

Old 05-15-2014, 02:33 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,519,162 times
People start complaining more(and feel they have a right to complain) when they end up paying more to live somewhere. Things that didn't bother people as much before, like slightly dirty neighborhoods, the newer set of transplants will complain aout non stop, because their expectations are higher. As cities become more popular and more expensive you'll get more upset people who drank the Koolaid and then change their mind when they realize their Shangri-La is just another city.

Old 05-15-2014, 04:58 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,371,357 times
Quote:
How would you like it if … somebody came to your hometown or city you call home and complained about major characteristics of it?
How do you think the millions of people who live anyplace between coasts in what is often and ignorantly referred to as 'flyover country' like it? Answer: We don't care. Because our identity is not defined by how cool outsiders think our hometown is.

Old 05-15-2014, 05:03 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,134,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
The irony from someone who posts heavily about other cities in various sub forums on this board.
Only the one I spent 20+ years in and in fact, still have family and business interests in. It's also the one where my wife still travels for work 4-5 times per year, sometimes with me in tow for a weekend. What's ironic about that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland