Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2014, 08:50 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Well, OP, as you can see, it's completely impossible to live without a car in Mountain View. I wonder why on earth they have bike lanes and buses. What a waste, since apparently nobody uses them.

Are you up to a challenge? Apparently you and your gf would be the only two on the buses or bike trails. Sounds peaceful.
The problem is mountain view has the kind of buses designed for people who think the bus is a last ditch option. So that means limited running times after dark and on the weekends and poor frequency. The bus and transit is useless for errands but ok for commuting.

You might want to budget for car share, if there are even spots. When my friend and her grad student hubby lived in mountain view, she took the car and he had to manage on his own. Walks we far and it wasn't an ideal scenario. He doesn't have a bike. They lived about 3/4 of a mile from California street, but he didn't have access to much without a car during the day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2014, 09:55 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,500,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
The problem is mountain view has the kind of buses designed for people who think the bus is a last ditch option. So that means limited running times after dark and on the weekends and poor frequency. The bus and transit is useless for errands but ok for commuting.

You might want to budget for car share, if there are even spots. When my friend and her grad student hubby lived in mountain view, she took the car and he had to manage on his own. Walks we far and it wasn't an ideal scenario. He doesn't have a bike. They lived about 3/4 of a mile from California street, but he didn't have access to much without a car during the day.
Oh, I forgot that bikes cost at least 1 million dollars each. And 3/4 of a mile? Might as well be China.

And there are no taxis in Mountain View? For the occasional trip home, etc.?

Too bad it's impossible to even buy a bike in Mountain View. Or to take taxis after dark.

Well, OP, better quit that Google job before you even move here. You'll have to live on the street. The situation is impossible. Just ask people on CD who justify why they can't make ends meet on their salaries, let alone save anything.

Option B: Do your own math.

Old 05-23-2014, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Oh, I forgot that bikes cost at least 1 million dollars each.

And there are no taxis in Mountain View? For the occasional trip home, etc.?

Too bad it's impossible to even buy a bike in Mountain View. Or to take taxis after dark.

Well, OP, better quit that Google job before you even move here. You'll have to live on the street. The situation is impossible. Just ask people on CD who justify why they can't make ends meet on their salaries, let alone save anything.
Taxis? You need to call one and hope it shows up. That's why uber is so popular here. You can't hail a cab even in SF.

What I am saying is, even though it might seem possible on paper it isn't very pleasant to be car free in MV. Being car free by choice isn't normal behavior there so the environment and infrastructure isn't really designed to support it. I chatted with a woman who is working on improving bike and pedestrian infrastructure on the peninsula. The city leaders looked at her like she was crazy when she suggested people might want to bike on a main commercial street, because their destination was there, over a parallel street. They also (city leaders) couldn't fathom people using their bike for shopping.

Old 05-23-2014, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Taxis? You need to call one and hope it shows up. That's why uber is so popular here. You can't hail a cab even in SF.

What I am saying is, even though it might seem possible on paper it isn't very pleasant to be car free in MV. Being car free by choice isn't normal behavior there so the environment and infrastructure isn't really designed to support it. I chatted with a woman who is working on improving bike and pedestrian infrastructure on the peninsula. The city leaders looked at her like she was crazy when she suggested people might want to bike on a main commercial street, because their destination was there, over a parallel street. They also (city leaders) couldn't fathom people using their bike for shopping.
Any time I called a taxi in either Santa Clara or San Jose, they showed up, and quickly and on time. Why wouldn't they show up in Mountain View?

Wah, wah, it's not pleasant not to have a car.

This is exactly what I see on these forums. Wah, wah, it's so hard to live on my salary, when all I want is a million dollar home and a car, and organic vegan food and vacations and concerts, yatta yatta yatta yatta yatta. It's impossible to live on less than $200,000 here!

Shall I look up the words priority and compromise for you? Nah, you'll spin it forever.

You can't reason with unreasonable people.

Like I said, OP, do your own math.

Taxi Mountain View, CA

Old 05-23-2014, 10:26 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,277,565 times
^ You live on an extremely limited income and seem to like it, many people don't.

As others have said, I would NOT want to live in MV carless. It's not Oakland, Berkeley, or SF where you've got other options to get around easily. The OP will need a car. Does that mean that the OP needs to drive something super fancy? No, but it's a fantasy to suggest living in MV carless is the equivalent lifestyle you could find in the city or urban East Bay. I wouldn't encourage someone to live in Walnut Creek, Dublin or Pleasanton carless either...

Old 05-23-2014, 11:28 PM

67 posts, read 140,582 times
Quote:
Any time I called a taxi in either Santa Clara or San Jose, they showed up, and quickly and on time. Why wouldn't they show up in Mountain View?

Wah, wah, it's not pleasant not to have a car.

This is exactly what I see on these forums. Wah, wah, it's so hard to live on my salary, when all I want is a million dollar home and a car, and organic vegan food and vacations and concerts, yatta yatta yatta yatta yatta. It's impossible to live on less than $200,000 here!

Shall I look up the words priority and compromise for you? Nah, you'll spin it forever.

You can't reason with unreasonable people.

Like I said, OP, do your own math.

Taxi Mountain View, CA
Can you provide a realistic view on why going carless in MV is a good idea then? Calling everyone out for saying truthfully that one probably needs a car in Mountain View, is, quite frankly, idiotic. Even my maid has a car. Like Chris Rock says ... just because you can do a thing, doesn't mean it's to be done.

Old 05-24-2014, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostVector View Post
Can you provide a realistic view on why going carless in MV is a good idea then? Calling everyone out for saying truthfully that one probably needs a car in Mountain View, is, quite frankly, idiotic. Even my maid has a car. Like Chris Rock says ... just because you can do a thing, doesn't mean it's to be done.
The OP asked can he afford to live in the area on $60,000. He says he's willing to live without a car. I broke down a budget that shows that he can easily live on that amount of money.

What are you doing, realistically, to be helpful here? Tell the OP to not take the job at Google? Why on earth can't he bike across town to go to work? And bike to Caltrain when he wants to go somewhere out of town? And take an occasional taxi home from the pub?

Saying a young healthy guy can't ride a bike across Mountain View is ridiculous. Heck, I lived without a car in Davis, CA at one point so I could quit my job and sell full-time on Ebay. I put huge baskets on the bike and went shopping on it. I rode it to the bus station to go to my job in Sacramento, and to the Amtrak train to visit friends in the Bay Area. I was 40 years old.

You guys are so stuck on your idea that you can't do without this and that, and then whine about it when you have too much month left at the end of the money.

I bet most of your parents did a lot more with a lot less. Saying it's not feasible or impossible is just not rational.

Was it more convenient to have a car when I lived in Davis and worked in Sacramento? Of course. But, it was the thing in the budget that had to go, if I wanted to quit my job. I loved that car, too. My one and only car that I bought brand new. But, I wanted to quit my job worse than I wanted to keep the car.

Choices, priorities, compromise.

Then he waits until he gets a raise or the gf gets a job, and they decide if they'd rather have a car at that point.

Sheesh, you guys.

Old 05-24-2014, 08:52 AM

6,416 posts, read 8,277,565 times
Okay, so the official head count of people in this thread saying that a carless life will be fun/easy in Mountain View is at 1 right now. Anyone else care to tally up the other results?

Old 05-24-2014, 09:11 AM

Quote:
The OP asked can he afford to live in the area on $60,000. He says he's willing to live without a car. I broke down a budget that shows that he can easily live on that amount of money.

What are you doing, realistically, to be helpful here? Tell the OP to not take the job at Google? Why on earth can't he bike across town to go to work? And bike to Caltrain when he wants to go somewhere out of town? And take an occasional taxi home from the pub?

Saying a young healthy guy can't ride a bike across Mountain View is ridiculous. Heck, I lived without a car in Davis, CA at one point so I could quit my job and sell full-time on Ebay. I put huge baskets on the bike and went shopping on it. I rode it to the bus station to go to my job in Sacramento, and to the Amtrak train to visit friends in the Bay Area. I was 40 years old.

You guys are so stuck on your idea that you can't do without this and that, and then whine about it when you have too much month left at the end of the money.

I bet most of your parents did a lot more with a lot less. Saying it's not feasible or impossible is just not rational.

Was it more convenient to have a car when I lived in Davis and worked in Sacramento? Of course. But, it was the thing in the budget that had to go, if I wanted to quit my job. I loved that car, too. My one and only car that I bought brand new. But, I wanted to quit my job worse than I wanted to keep the car.

Choices, priorities, compromise.

Then he waits until he gets a raise or the gf gets a job, and they decide if they'd rather have a car at that point.

Sheesh, you guys.
Davis is 8x more bike friendly than MV, it has been leading the state in that regard since the 70s.

Old 05-24-2014, 12:20 PM

372 posts, read 513,965 times
It isn't fun to be carless anywhere in the Bay Area except SF in reality. Jade408 lives in Oakland yet owns a car, for example. Why is that? I lived in Oakland and Berkeley and would never want to be without a car. AC Transit sucks. It is faster to walk 3 miles than take the bus unless you get lucky. BART stops running around midnight so a late night in SF isn't possible either.

To the OP, I'd listen to people who live or who have lived on the Peninsula for advice, not people who live in Oakland and may have a bias against the Peninsula. Mt View has light rail, CalTrain, and bike paths.

Last edited by calicoastal; 05-24-2014 at 12:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland