Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 11:14 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,518,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
I've notice a lot of negativity about living in the Bay Area by those who lament that it's unaffordable or restrictively Liberal in its politics. But, what about the rest of us? What about those of us who are good at what we do for a living, and as such, came to the Bay Area to find a vibrant job market full of opportunity, expensive yet affordable housing, and quality of life indices that are off the chart?

For instance, I woke up today and felt kind of lazy. I watched the Giants game (10:30 start, because it was an away game), while I ate a sandwich made at a place on my block, which I walked to get. It was grilled Petaluma chicken, avocado, local bacon, etc. on Acme bread. I drank a local IPA with the sandwich. At the end of the game, my wife and I decided to go over to Treasure Island (admittedly random idea) to do some wine tasting-- there are 5-6 good wineries there. It took us 20 minutes to get to the island. We spent nearly two hours tasting wine and chatting with the winemakers who showed us around their property and explained the subtleties of the six wines they were sampling.

We then took in the view from Yerba Buena for awhile and headed back to the City, across the Bay Bridge. There was a good chop on the Bay and a lot of sailboats were out. I had the sunroof open and could smell eucalyptus in the salt air. The fog was pouring over Twin Peaks and wrapping itself around Sutro Tower. Alcatraz was fully socked in, but the sky was clear over the City and the sun was golden. It was picture-perfect, with lots of activity on the street, cable cars clanging, and tourists snapping shots of stuff I take for granted. We went the long way home, up through Chinatown and Nob Hill. Our soundtrack was acoustic singer/songwriters singing the virtues of California. It was impossible to disagree at this point.

Polk street was busy. We went 5MPH all the way from Pacific to Union. Lots of people were dining at sidewalk eateries, shopping at stores, or just walking. We parked in the basement of our building. Walked upstairs and cracked a bottle of old vine Zinfandel we picked up a few weeks ago in the Russian River Valley. We thought it would go well with the leftover Paxti's deep-dish pie with the fresh ricotta we had from last night.

While heating that up, the sun started setting through the fog advancing over the Presidio. The fog horns were already blaring from the Golden Gate Bridge out my open window. The air smelled like a flower shop. I put on some Miles.

Life was good.

Say what you want about how overpriced or crazy Liberal California is. If it suits your place in the world, there's nothing like a California lifestyle. My above description is the kind of thing people would plan for weeks for their vacation. We did it on a whim without even thinking.

Do I miss my 3000 square foot house in Texas? Not in the slightest.
Sounds like big time drinking problem but otherwise a day well spent -

Old 06-02-2014, 11:26 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,518,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Cool View Post
The Burbies - Struggling dual income earners who spend their time stressing over their humongous mortgage, barely saving a nickel for retirement, or a penny for their children's college fund. They constantly try to justify the 30-40 minute BART commute, getting home at 9pm, and basically letting a nanny raise their children by screaming how great the Bay Area is to anyone who will ask, and will always explain how "it's worth it" to their confused friends and relatives, even though the bone crushing financial obligations are taking 5-10 years off their lifespan.
I think burbies are the majority. I have many many friends who are perpetually stressed with mortgage and guilt ridden because of not being able to spend any time with their children. But yet they keep justifying living here because of all the lifestyle amenities that they rarely use!

Old 06-03-2014, 12:02 AM

6,416 posts, read 8,276,539 times
I love the Bay Area as much as anyone, but I honestly love the entire state of California as a whole, much more. Last weekend, I was in Pismo Beach and Paso Robles wine tasting for Memorial Day weekend. I actually just got back from another long weekend in Palm Springs and visiting Joshua Tree NP this afternoon. It's great to enjoy what the Bay Area has to offer, but if you aren't out exploring the rest of the state on a consistent basis, I think you're really missing out.

Old 06-03-2014, 01:01 AM

15,408 posts, read 6,195,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
I love the Bay Area as much as anyone, but I honestly love the entire state of California as a whole, much more. Last weekend, I was in Pismo Beach and Paso Robles wine tasting for Memorial Day weekend. I actually just got back from another long weekend in Palm Springs and visiting Joshua Tree NP this afternoon. It's great to enjoy what the Bay Area has to offer, but if you aren't out exploring the rest of the state on a consistent basis, I think you're really missing out.
Good points. The climate is one amenity that benefits almost everyone in the Bay Area, whether very busy or not. Much better than the CA Central Valley, desert areas in So Cal, NV, AZ, NM, and the southeast and midwest US in the summer and far better than most other US places in the winter, too.

BTW, it seems like the Paso Robles area has become Napa "south" these days. There are a ton of wineries there (probably 2nd most in CA after Napa/Sonoma) and the 25 mile drive to the coast from there on route 46 is nice, too. A California resident should also visit Hearst Castle at least once in their life IMO. Have enjoyed some nice trips down to that region myself.

Last edited by chessgeek; 06-03-2014 at 01:16 AM..

Old 06-03-2014, 09:29 AM

864 posts, read 799,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadhi01 View Post
I think burbies are the majority. I have many many friends who are perpetually stressed with mortgage and guilt ridden because of not being able to spend any time with their children. But yet they keep justifying living here because of all the lifestyle amenities that they rarely use!
That's kind of what makes burbies sad. They live in their name-brand hoods like San Ramon, Danville, Walnut Creek, San Mateo, etc, and they're struggling to stay there with both parents working 9-7 type jobs, 40 minute commutes to work, and with no time to spend with the kids. That's not life, that's servitude.

Old 06-03-2014, 10:48 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,819,598 times
Quote:
That's kind of what makes burbies sad. They live in their name-brand hoods like San Ramon, Danville, Walnut Creek, San Mateo, etc, and they're struggling to stay there with both parents working 9-7 type jobs, 40 minute commutes to work, and with no time to spend with the kids. That's not life, that's servitude.
Just wondering where you expect people to live that is closer to work and more affordable?

I bought a house as close to work as I can afford (23 miles) and it takes me a little less than an hour in the morning and a little over an hour in the afternoon in travel time.

Most people cannot afford a house in the job centers because they are 800k+. Most people don't want to rent their entire life, when I retire I won't have a mortgage or rent payment. The people renting cannot say the same.

And when these people in the "burbs" try to move closer to work they get lambasted for gentrifying and changing the feel of the city.

You can't win for losing sometimes.

Oh, since we are describing our weeks...

Monday, went to work, sat in traffic both ways. Got home, relaxed cooked some regular food that regular people buy, watched tv, went to bed.

Tuesday, went to work, sat in traffic both ways. Got home, relaxed cooked some regular food that regular people buy, watched tv, went to bed.

Wednesday, went to work, sat in traffic both ways. Got home, relaxed cooked some regular food that regular people buy, watched tv, went to bed.

Thursday, went to work, sat in traffic both ways. Got home, relaxed cooked some regular food that regular people buy, watched tv, went to bed.

Friday, went to work, sat in traffic both ways. Went to Costco before going home to avoid the lines on the weekend. Got home, relaxed cooked some regular food that regular people buy, watched tv, went to bed.

Saturday, went on a walk around neighborhood, then went to family graduation party at a local park, had to pay $6 to get into park even though it was a county park. Had a good time, went home.

Sunday, stayed at home and worked around the house, laundry, cleaning, etc. ate made a grilled cheese and ham sandwich for dinner, watched tv in evening and went to bed.

Monday, start all over again.

Last edited by shooting4life; 06-03-2014 at 10:56 AM..

Old 06-03-2014, 10:52 AM

864 posts, read 799,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Just wondering where you expect people to live that is closer to work and more affordable?

I bought a house as close to work as I can afford (23 miles) and it takes me a little less than an hour in the morning and a little over an hour in the afternoon in travel time.

Most people cannot afford a house in the job centers because they are 800k+. Most people don't want to rent their entire life, when I retire I won't have a mortgage or rent payment. The people renting cannot say the same.

And when these people in the "burbs" try to move closer to work they get lambasted for gentrifying and changing the feel of the city.

You can't win for losing sometimes.
I'm not expecting anything out of burbies. They choose the life they want based on what they think is best.

The burbies are just one of the Bay Are archetypes I'm familiar with, and they always seem stressed out at least compared to the Faux Cosmos, and no-shoes types.

Old 06-03-2014, 10:59 AM

5,281 posts, read 6,587,931 times
Life in Silicon Valley is sleep -> work -> go home -> sleep repeax x infinity. On weekends you may occassionally go to downtown San Jose or Santanna Row, and enjoy a local dive bar. But yeah, that's basically all I did in the Bay.

Old 06-03-2014, 11:04 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,819,598 times
Quote:
I'm not expecting anything out of burbies. They choose the life they want based on what they think is best.

The burbies are just one of the Bay Are archetypes I'm familiar with, and they always seem stressed out at least compared to the Faux Cosmos, and no-shoes types.
Paying bills is stressful. Most people have to work 40 years of their lives to pay those bill and in hopes that they can retire some day.

The people who you see that do not stress out are the ones that bought a house some place for 150k in the late 80's that is now worth over a million dollars or a rent controlled apartment that is thousands less a month than their neighbor. They have a pretty easy job, in the twilight of their career, just putting their time in until they retire. Then they say things like "why is every stressed out" Lets walk to down town to grab a bite at this sandwich shop and a local brewed beer and local sourced bread that is $22 because I can afford it because I pay way less in housing than everyone else because I am older and had opportunities that are not afforded to anyone under 40.

Old 06-03-2014, 11:05 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Monday, went to work, sat in traffic both ways. Got home, relaxed cooked some regular food that regular people buy, watched tv, went to bed.
It was Memorial Day last Monday, where was there traffic in the Bay Area?

I was at the A's game Monday, it was sold out, the weather was perfect, and we beat Detroit 10-0.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland