Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 09:28 AM

1,948 posts, read 6,462,401 times

Advertisements

she has nothing to worry about , she has friends in the Oakland police dept

that can easily deny any cell phone was in use at the time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2014, 12:34 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
She's denied being on her phone and says she will turn in her records to police to prove it.

So while I can understand the exaggerated media feeding frenzy and her detractors smelling blood-I'm already seeing the news coverage toned down from last night to this morning.

LOL
I don't think her phone records will prove anything, you can easily use your phone without doing something with a timestamp. Phone records include the date/time that a call was made or a text was sent. But, if you are reading emails or texts, it won't show up in your phone records, since no data was transmitted wither way.

If she was listening to a podcast, changing her playlist, skimming messages....none of this would show up in the phone records.

Unless she has a key logger installed tracking keystrokes, she can appear to be in the clear, even though she was using her phone.

Old 06-09-2014, 12:38 PM

36,658 posts, read 67,519,268 times
So should she be recalled over this?

Im not seeing how this relates to her job performance. Not one bit.

She wasnt drunk or high, no one died or was seriously hurt and it was an accident.

So what exactly is the crisis here?

Old 06-09-2014, 01:35 PM

864 posts, read 799,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo View Post
she has nothing to worry about , she has friends in the Oakland police dept

that can easily deny any cell phone was in use at the time
Exactly. Nothing is going to happen to Jean Quan. The Oakland PD is about as trustworthy as a group of child molesters hanging outside of a pre-school.

Old 06-09-2014, 01:57 PM

Regardless as to her personal shenanigans(which are more embarrassing than anything else), the city is on a upward trajectory and that means a lot to me. Things are definitely better than when she first took office--now some will say that she is not responsible for the city's current success but really neither are most Oaklanders. My people are consummate complainers who constantly demand 'change' but don't have the stomach to do what needs to be done in order for their utopian dream to come true.

I'm just saying.

And I don't see anything in the current list of candidates that is very much of a departure from Jean Quan so...

Old 06-09-2014, 06:45 PM

732 posts, read 968,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I don't think her phone records will prove anything, you can easily use your phone without doing something with a timestamp. Phone records include the date/time that a call was made or a text was sent. But, if you are reading emails or texts, it won't show up in your phone records, since no data was transmitted wither way.

If she was listening to a podcast, changing her playlist, skimming messages....none of this would show up in the phone records.

Unless she has a key logger installed tracking keystrokes, she can appear to be in the clear, even though she was using her phone.
Yep, and she's proven to be a dishonest sneak. She said she "doesn't think" she ran a red light and that it's the police departments job to determine whether she ran a red light. She doesn't care about justice or the laws.

"The king can do no wrong," only the lowly peasants.

Old 06-09-2014, 09:53 PM

864 posts, read 799,688 times
Jean Quan is horrible, and Dellums was horrible. Oakland is lucky that the tech sector blew up in San Francisco, and the influx of money and jobs is gentrifying the area around San Francisco faster than anytime in its history. Quan and Dellums had nothing, absolutely nothing to do with that. You could have put a trained monkey in as mayor from 2007 to now and Oakland would be gentrifying today. All the flick flack, riff raff is getting priced out into Vallejo, Tracy, and Salinas.

I say good riddance. The faster cesspools like West Oakland and East Oakland disappear, the better. The Bay Area is a beautiful place to live and work, it would be better without the third world ghettos.

Old 06-10-2014, 10:41 AM

21,875 posts, read 25,139,139 times
Quote:
So should she be recalled over this?

Im not seeing how this relates to her job performance. Not one bit.

She wasnt drunk or high, no one died or was seriously hurt and it was an accident.

So what exactly is the crisis here?
The crisis is that she's not popular. It's pretty bad when people hate you so much they believe basically anything coming from anyone as long as it reflects negatively on the mayor, but that just shows how little credibility Quan has with some people. She's a lousy mayor, imo, but I'd still wait on that surveillance camera footage. Of course, if it comes back showing the lawsuit mongerer actually rant he red light then it will be doctored.

Basically, nobody cares about talking on a cellphone since it's completely legal as long as you aren't actually holding the phone. Holding a small plastic object as opposed to not holding a small plastic object really does not impair driving ability. Basically three quarters of the population admits to talking on the phone while driving. And again, handsfree or not is just totally irrelevant. It's a legal distinction only. Basically a do it as long as you're behind a sheet law (for the Monty Python fans).

Texting is more serious, but again, a third of the population does that (including me, although I save it for red lights).

Old 06-10-2014, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
The crisis is that she's not popular. It's pretty bad when people hate you so much they believe basically anything coming from anyone as long as it reflects negatively on the mayor, but that just shows how little credibility Quan has with some people.
But that's just it-this is NOT a crisis no matter how much people want it to be. She wasn't dealing crack from her car, she wasn't cruising for hookers, she was just driving from one church to another church and got into an accident. If it turns out that she was on her phone, that's not grounds for her to lose her job as Mayor.

But I agree with your statement, people hate her for like any reason they can think of, which to me is so bizarre.

ESPECIALLY since Oakland is actually in better shape now than before she took office.

Old 06-10-2014, 02:57 PM

343 posts, read 444,867 times
Quote:
ESPECIALLY since Oakland is actually in better shape now than before she took office.
That's a pretty low bar for judging a mayor presiding over a recovering economy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland