Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 08:10 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,755,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby_guz_man View Post
Cal Poly would be considered better than CSU East Bay, Sonoma State, SJSU, and SFSU, if you were in Engineering or Finance.

But you're not. Non-STEM (big money) degrees are the same from any schools. A Communications degree from Stanford isn't any better than Communcations from SFSU, you're still most likely to be starving.

But I agree that it's better for you to move to the Bay or to the LA area for more job opportunities.
I disagree with your statement. I had to take two math courses, including statistics, and had an array of highly recognized professors at Cal Poly. Many who gave us hands on assignments. Some CSUs don't require statistics and lack having very distinguished professors to teach sociology classes. Not only that, but all Cal Poly students are required to take a couple upper division tech courses to graduate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2014, 09:35 PM

5,583 posts, read 5,003,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbiePoster View Post
More competition for that job in a big city, though, and the "little more" that you make will get chewed up by higher rent and/or real estate costs.
This is true more people = more problem= more competition....supply and demand. You will pay more and get less. unemployemnt high as well as cost of living is the highest here. Traffic is gridlock here maybe worse than LA now since everyone has come here. No parking, more crime. I was born and raised here so I have seen the changes and believe me the changes are getting worse and worse. The city has gone to the freaks

Old 06-20-2014, 02:43 PM

What can you all tell me about San Leandro? They want to interview me next thursday, but I am going to ask for a Skype interview if possible.

Old 06-20-2014, 04:25 PM

1,696 posts, read 2,859,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
I disagree with your statement. I had to take two math courses, including statistics, and had an array of highly recognized professors at Cal Poly. Many who gave us hands on assignments. Some CSUs don't require statistics and lack having very distinguished professors to teach sociology classes. Not only that, but all Cal Poly students are required to take a couple upper division tech courses to graduate.
If that's the case then I hope everything works out well for you

Old 06-20-2014, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby_guz_man View Post
If that's the case then I hope everything works out well for you
Cal Poly requires all professors to have at least written one book. One of my professors used to be an ambassador of germany to afghanistan. one professor makes u go in the field for part of the day picking strawberries. another professor makes you take the city bus to get to all social services in a day.

Old 06-20-2014, 10:23 PM

379 posts, read 785,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
What can you all tell me about San Leandro? They want to interview me next thursday, but I am going to ask for a Skype interview if possible.
It's very suburban and has a lot of big box stores and a working class vibe. You'd definitely find housing there more affordable than much of the bay. Has at least one BART station so going to SF isn't bad. Definitely preferable to have a car.

Another place you might want to look for jobs is Concord. I see lots of social service agencies posting jobs there, and it's a very affordable area with BART access. Concord can get quite hot in the summer which might be a bit of a shock for you being from SLOs temperate climate.

Lastly have you looked into Transitions Mental Health in SLO? I have a friend working there in direct service who makes $15 an hour. It's worth a look if you have any interest in staying in SLO and haven't applied there yet.

Old 06-21-2014, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalLover View Post
It's very suburban and has a lot of big box stores and a working class vibe. You'd definitely find housing there more affordable than much of the bay. Has at least one BART station so going to SF isn't bad. Definitely preferable to have a car.

Another place you might want to look for jobs is Concord. I see lots of social service agencies posting jobs there, and it's a very affordable area with BART access. Concord can get quite hot in the summer which might be a bit of a shock for you being from SLOs temperate climate.

Lastly have you looked into Transitions Mental Health in SLO? I have a friend working there in direct service who makes $15 an hour. It's worth a look if you have any interest in staying in SLO and haven't applied there yet.
i did and i got rejected after the interview if i want to stay in slo it's probably going to be whole foods and interning at a place like family care network.

I messed myself up by having an internship in HR and one in social services. I should have taken 2 in social service.

Old 06-25-2014, 03:52 PM

Update, didn't get the jobs in the Bay Area. They wanted more experience and said I should volunteer at a place longer. I am thinking of looking for a sales job again.

Old 06-25-2014, 08:58 PM

5,583 posts, read 5,003,754 times
JOBS have dried up here. Too many people and too little employment. Competition is great.

Old 06-25-2014, 10:07 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,273,283 times
Quote:
Update, didn't get the jobs in the Bay Area. They wanted more experience and said I should volunteer at a place longer. I am thinking of looking for a sales job again.
I'm sure it had little to do with your schooling and far more to do with local connections. That's how things roll here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland