Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 02:32 AM

4,932 posts, read 12,755,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
I'm sure it had little to do with your schooling and far more to do with local connections. That's how things roll here.
could be. most places want u to volunteer with them before they hire you on. i could start off as a sub homeless shelter where i interned. apparently i am/was considered for a full time shelter worker. I'm just hesitant to stick with social services right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2014, 09:48 AM

1,696 posts, read 2,859,314 times
Just keep trying, you'll get there. The thing with your chosen major is that you probably already know it's going to be tough finding a job, so I hope that you chose your major because you are passionate about it. And if you are passionate about it, I'm sure you'll persevere

Chin up!!!! If volunteering in the SLO area is the way to go for now, then go for it. But never quit looking for that job in the Bay (or even in SLO). Send out your resumes/feelers every month or so.

If there are sociology forums out there, I'd join them too and get into discussions and someone might take notice of you on there and give some good words/tips.

The most important thing is not to have any regrets regarding what you studied. You don't seem to have any regrets regarding choosing this major, so that's a good first step. Just concentrate on present and future and you'll be fine

Also, have you looked at other metro areas besides Bay Area? Such as Monterey Bay, Fresno/Bakersfield, Santa Barbara, LA, San Diego, Sacramento, even the Upstate area (Shasta/Redding)? My friend graduated from her PharmD program and couldn't find job in the Bay, so she moved to Bakersfield to work for a few years and once she had the experience, she was able to get a job in the Bay Area.

Old 06-26-2014, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby_guz_man View Post
Just keep trying, you'll get there. The thing with your chosen major is that you probably already know it's going to be tough finding a job, so I hope that you chose your major because you are passionate about it. And if you are passionate about it, I'm sure you'll persevere

Chin up!!!! If volunteering in the SLO area is the way to go for now, then go for it. But never quit looking for that job in the Bay (or even in SLO). Send out your resumes/feelers every month or so.

If there are sociology forums out there, I'd join them too and get into discussions and someone might take notice of you on there and give some good words/tips.

The most important thing is not to have any regrets regarding what you studied. You don't seem to have any regrets regarding choosing this major, so that's a good first step. Just concentrate on present and future and you'll be fine

Also, have you looked at other metro areas besides Bay Area? Such as Monterey Bay, Fresno/Bakersfield, Santa Barbara, LA, San Diego, Sacramento, even the Upstate area (Shasta/Redding)? My friend graduated from her PharmD program and couldn't find job in the Bay, so she moved to Bakersfield to work for a few years and once she had the experience, she was able to get a job in the Bay Area.
Well I am not even sure more volunteering experience is going to help me get a job. It could be I need to become fluent in Spanish and that could take up to 4 years.

I am looking for sales job now. I had an offer to work as an insurance agent, but I passed it up thinking I'd find something in social services. Ah, what a shame.

Old 06-26-2014, 07:34 PM

5,583 posts, read 5,002,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
Well I am not even sure more volunteering experience is going to help me get a job. It could be I need to become fluent in Spanish and that could take up to 4 years.

I am looking for sales job now. I had an offer to work as an insurance agent, but I passed it up thinking I'd find something in social services. Ah, what a shame.
You can always try San Jose Police Dept. or Oakland Police Dept. Those departments are hurting for more police personnel.

Old 06-26-2014, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
You can always try San Jose Police Dept. or Oakland Police Dept. Those departments are hurting for more police personnel.
Better yet! Join the San Jose Police Academy, get trained on San Jose taxpayers' expense, and after you graduate and do your 6 months, give a big Fvck You to the San Jose taxpayers, and jump ship to work for Sunnyvale PD.

And for the rest of your life, you will never need to use your gun, wrestle a robber, chase a drug dealer ie REAL cop work. For the rest of your life, you'll spend your "cop" time plucking kittens from trees. Ahhh....the life of a highly-paid glorified security guard

Old 06-27-2014, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Better yet! Join the San Jose Police Academy, get trained on San Jose taxpayers' expense, and after you graduate and do your 6 months, give a big Fvck You to the San Jose taxpayers, and jump ship to work for Sunnyvale PD.

And for the rest of your life, you will never need to use your gun, wrestle a robber, chase a drug dealer ie REAL cop work. For the rest of your life, you'll spend your "cop" time plucking kittens from trees. Ahhh....the life of a highly-paid glorified security guard
YEAP you got that right. Don't forget to give out parking tickets too $$$$$

Last edited by nowhereman427; 09-03-2021 at 12:23 AM..

Old 06-27-2014, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
YEAP you got that right. Don't forget to give out parking tickets too $$$$$
LOL, I totally forgotten about parking tickets! Peninsula and non-San Jose South Bay cops are the meanest, most glorified meter maids on Earth!!!!

Old 06-27-2014, 11:15 PM

Quote:
LOL, I totally forgotten about parking tickets! Peninsula and non-San Jose South Bay cops are the meanest, most glorified meter maids on Earth!!!!

Old 07-12-2014, 02:18 AM

New update, got called in for an interview at a social service related in San Leandro, but job would require me going all around the Bay Area. $13.40 an hour, plus dental and health insurance, mileage reimbursement, paid vacation, etc....

Should know next week at the interview if I will be moving or not.

Old 07-12-2014, 09:03 AM

102,183 posts, read 107,774,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
New update, got called in for an interview at a social service related in San Leandro, but job would require me going all around the Bay Area. $13.40 an hour, plus dental and health insurance, mileage reimbursement, paid vacation, etc....

Should know next week at the interview if I will be moving or not.
Is it possible to live around San Leandro on $13.40/hr.? I guess that's just starting pay, but still...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland