Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2014, 10:09 AM

76 posts, read 108,202 times

Advertisements

My 15 and 16 year old nieces are visiting next week. They live in a small town in the Midwest and have never been to the Bay Area, or spent much time in big cities. They really like sports, but the A's are out of town during their visit and I'm too cheap to spring for Giants tickets. So, my list so far includes:
  • Pier 39/Ghiradelli Square
  • Alcatraz
  • Chinatown
  • Golden Gate Bridge
  • Cable cars
  • Lombard Street

Their one request is to play some beach volleyball. Is there any in SF?

Any other sites we should add to our list?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2014, 10:24 AM

49 posts, read 69,554 times
Santa Cruz for beach volleyball. I don't know about San Francisco.

Old 06-20-2014, 01:23 PM

102,066 posts, read 107,021,171 times
Yes, drive down the coast to Santa Cruz for beach volleyball. Get a map of the town and drive through the University of California campus in town; it's nestled in the redwoods, and is very scenic.

There are 2 cable car lines. One goes to Ghirardelli Square from downtown, but it's always very crowded and there's a long waiting line to get on. It's definitely the most interesting and scenic, though. Be sure to visit the Chocolate Factory in Ghirardelli Square, which features an old-fashioned ice-cream parlor that serves huge sundaes and banana-splits. Very popular with kids and teens.

Golden Gate Park: the Japanese Tea Garden, the plant conservatory, and the DeYoung Museum. Also the aquarium at the Calif. Academy of Sciences. The park will keep you busy all afternoon. From there, drive north to Clement St., and explore colorful neighborhood restaurants for dinner.

Your list is pretty comprehensive. If you need another excursion to fill time, drive across the Bridge to Muir Woods. Everyone should have the experience of walking in a redwood forest, at least once in their lifetime! If you have time, and don't mind driving, you could take them up to Fort Ross, to see the Russian fort and learn about the history of Russian America.

Don't forget to tour the Presidio if you take them to walk part-way across the Bridge.

Old 06-20-2014, 03:43 PM

30,286 posts, read 51,763,161 times
I always had fun shopping in downtown Sausalito as a teen, and also on Haight Street... lots of "funky" & artsy shops in those neighborhoods, as opposed to the generic "I Love SF" t-shirts, etc. Pier 39 was another favorite spot of mine, which is already on your list, also sea lion-watching at the Cliff House. Have the sea lions returned, and do they still have that penny arcade?

Old 06-20-2014, 04:15 PM

76 posts, read 108,202 times
Thanks everyone for the great suggestions. I had forgotten about Sausalito (we just moved here and I've only been a tourist a few times). We will definitely check out Santa Cruz for volleyball.

Old 06-20-2014, 06:57 PM

28,107 posts, read 63,432,187 times
the 17 year old daughter of my cousin and her soon to be 18 year old friend visited CA last summer...

I would take them to BART each morning... they loved SF and Berkeley and spent days exploring.

They also rented bicycles and rode across the Golden Gate to Sausalito for lunch and to see the houseboats...

I was surprised at how independent they were and at the detail of their list of things to see.

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 06-20-2014 at 07:25 PM..

Old 06-20-2014, 08:11 PM

102,066 posts, read 107,021,171 times
Sausalito is, indeed, really fun for teens. They could take the ferry from SF, and have a day of fun on their own.

Old 06-20-2014, 09:22 PM

14,640 posts, read 14,519,777 times
Haight Street or Telegraph Avenue would be a must for teens...give them plenty talk about with their friends when they get back.

Old 06-21-2014, 11:36 AM

3,981 posts, read 8,956,386 times
Not a very touristy or well known attraction, but this place is a lot of fun--think Rube Goldberg sort of thing that has a focus on San Francisco culture and landmarks.

Urban Putt | Miniature Golf made in San Francisco

I also love to take visitors to Lands End--- fantastic trail with gorgeous views!

Lands End - Golden Gate National Recreation Area (U.S. National Park Service)

Old 06-22-2014, 03:29 PM

3,981 posts, read 8,956,386 times
I forgot to mention this place---a must visit if you're anywhere near Santa Cruz! Your nieces will love it!

The Mystery Spot Official Website
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland