Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 02:16 PM

4 posts, read 30,254 times

Advertisements

Hi. I and my husband work in santa clara as of now. We are looking at san ramon, walnut creek, dublin, pleasanton area for buying a home. Some of the reasons for our choice is: good school district, new construction and cheaper homes. We have two daughters and cant afford to send them to private schools if we live in a bad school district. Also, houses in cupertino, palo alto, fremont mission are very old and expensive. We are currently contracting and can change jobs based on our commute. I see a lot of software jobs in walnut creek, Pleasanton, Dublin and San Francisco.
Now back to my questions? commute wise, which is the best area to live in and the school district should also be good - walnut creek, san ramon, dublin or pleasanton? we plan to work in sf, walnut creek, dublin or pleasanton
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2011, 02:32 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
Pleasanton will probably be your best bet. There are few new construction homes in Walnut Creek and the ones that are tend to be very pricey. I'd probably pick San Ramon as your second choice based on your criteria. But if a brand new home isn't a huge requirement, I think WC offers the most and best commuting options if you're not working in the South Bay.

Old 02-18-2011, 03:05 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Dublin added a ton of new condos and townhomes in the eastern part of town over the last five years The schools are good. SLightly lower than Pleasanton, (a few percentage points) and prices are lower. In all honesty, there is no dicernable difference between Dublin, Pleasanton and San Ramon.

Walnut Creek has a bit more going on, but it is the worst option to go to south bay. There is only one route. San Ramon is a better than Walnut Creek, but the last 5-10 miles will be pretty gridlocked -- but it is very common for people to use Crow Canyon Road as a shortcut. Pleasanton and Dublin have better freeway access (it is closer to get to 238/880 as an alternate).

Old 02-18-2011, 05:01 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,126,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Dublin added a ton of new condos and townhomes in the eastern part of town over the last five years The schools are good. SLightly lower than Pleasanton, (a few percentage points) and prices are lower. In all honesty, there is no dicernable difference between Dublin, Pleasanton and San Ramon.

Walnut Creek has a bit more going on, but it is the worst option to go to south bay. There is only one route. San Ramon is a better than Walnut Creek, but the last 5-10 miles will be pretty gridlocked -- but it is very common for people to use Crow Canyon Road as a shortcut. Pleasanton and Dublin have better freeway access (it is closer to get to 238/880 as an alternate).
They are currently redoing Crow Canyon road at Norris and it is a freaking mess. I went through the other day and regretted it. COPS are everywhere too. I would say Pleasanton first with Walnut Creek a second because schools are both great AND BART is easily accessed.

Old 02-21-2011, 01:45 PM

1 posts, read 22,241 times
If you prefer newer homes, San Ramon would be #1 choice. You get a top-notch school district and good support (shops restaurants etc.). Not a great commute to San Francisco though. Pleasanton is also good but not so many newer homes.

Walnut Creek is a great place to live but you may want to limit yourself to Walnut Creek Schoool District or Northridge Schools. Very few modern homes here though.

I noted a comment that there is little difference between Dublin and San Ramon but I would strongly disagree with that. I am a real estate agent covering all these areas. Most buyers wirh children do not want Dublin schools. Check out the API scores at www.greatschools.net.

Bernard Gibbons

Quote:
Originally Posted by soya View Post
Hi. I and my husband work in santa clara as of now. We are looking at san ramon, walnut creek, dublin, pleasanton area for buying a home. Some of the reasons for our choice is: good school district, new construction and cheaper homes. We have two daughters and cant afford to send them to private schools if we live in a bad school district. Also, houses in cupertino, palo alto, fremont mission are very old and expensive. We are currently contracting and can change jobs based on our commute. I see a lot of software jobs in walnut creek, Pleasanton, Dublin and San Francisco.
Now back to my questions? commute wise, which is the best area to live in and the school district should also be good - walnut creek, san ramon, dublin or pleasanton? we plan to work in sf, walnut creek, dublin or pleasanton

Old 02-21-2011, 03:12 PM

3,735 posts, read 8,064,318 times
If you are looking for newer homes go with San Ramon. If schools are the number 1 priority I'd go with Walnut Creek. If you have to travel to San Francisco Walnut Creek is your best bet. I like both places.

Old 02-21-2011, 04:31 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Wow, people here are implying the Dublin School District is like Richmond or something. Gee. It is a typical middle class school district. A few points lower than Pleasanton, but nothing to worry about.

Of course it also depends on your kids level of achievement. Pleasanton school district has more high achievers than Dublin.

The BART ride to SF is about 10 minutes shorter from Walnut Creek, Dublin/Pleasanton are much easier commutes to Silicon Valley than Walnut Creek.

New is pretty hard to find in the immediate Bay Area.

Old 02-21-2011, 06:38 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,126,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Wow, people here are implying the Dublin School District is like Richmond or something. Gee. It is a typical middle class school district. A few points lower than Pleasanton, but nothing to worry about.

Of course it also depends on your kids level of achievement. Pleasanton school district has more high achievers than Dublin.

The BART ride to SF is about 10 minutes shorter from Walnut Creek, Dublin/Pleasanton are much easier commutes to Silicon Valley than Walnut Creek.

New is pretty hard to find in the immediate Bay Area.
Dublin is one of the top 10 school districts in the ENTIRE Bay Area. Someone once posted a lovely condensed list of the top 10 Districts.

Here it is. //www.city-data.com/forum/16871800-post1.html

Old 02-21-2011, 10:33 PM

37,124 posts, read 42,189,292 times
People only look down at Dublin because the numbers are a bit lower than the surrounding cities. Your kids won't be smarter going to a higher scoring school however. I think you should concentrate on finding a home that fits your need and not worry about the school scores so much. Nothing is "bad" in the places you are considering.

Old 02-22-2011, 03:23 AM

10,345 posts, read 8,557,056 times
Dublin was a fair amount lower as far as ranking, but many of their schools have really come up in the last few years. So except for a few schools they are getting close to the other Cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland