Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 06:30 PM

1 posts, read 1,777 times

Advertisements

The median income here is no way enough to afford the cost of living. Its low when you adjust for COL. How do people in San Francisco get by? Besides the obvious homeless people everywhere digging in the trash for free food and the ones sleeping on the streets (which I am continuously amazed by the number of them).

I guess it helps that this is the most childless city in the U.S. so no extra expenses. I just moved back here (was gone for 15 years) and it seems people here are "poorer" than cities like Houston or Dallas because the bump in salary is not even close to being enough to afford the same lifestyle.

What is it? Government assistance? Rent control? Multiple roommates?

I would never move back to Dallas but San Francisco is such a hard place to live!! I make well above the median income and my quality of life much worse (in terms of having money) than it was when I moved here..I just can't imagine how half of the rest of the city gets by!!! My friends back in Dallas certainly had more "stuff" than my friends here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2014, 06:38 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Most people live in the more affordable communities around SF, and commute in.

Old 07-01-2014, 06:40 PM

23 posts, read 32,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Most people live in the more affordable communities around SF, and commute in.
This.

Yes, San Francisco is a very middle-class or lower middle-class place. Lots struggling people. People with 5 roommates. Lots of immigrants packed into apartments. Rent control. But honestly, that describes every city in America as these types of cities tend to attract only the rich and the poor these days. But its just worse here because the cost of living is very high so yes, the middle-class here is very poor by standards of other cities. It's a city of haves and have nots.

Only 10% people here actually live in the city for a reason. Move out of the city and your QOL will improve.

Old 07-01-2014, 06:43 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsur989 View Post
The median income here is no way enough to afford the cost of living. How do people get by? I guess it helps that this is the most childless city in the U.S. but I just moved back here (was gone for 15 years) and it seems people here are "poorer" than cities like Houston or Dallas because the bump in salary is not even close to being enough to afford the same lifestyle.

I would never move back to Dallas but this is a hard place to live!!
It all depends on what kind of household we're talking about...

This is from the 2012 Census Bureau Estimates:

Average Family Income,
2 workers, husband and wife

Marin County $209,039
San Francisco County $180,548
Santa Clara County $179,261
San Mateo County $176,633
Alameda County $155,449
Contra Costa County $150,550

So while not all households are in a financial position to buy a single family home, many dual income families are.

So if you are young, I can see how the specter of Bay Area home prices might seem daunting. In time, it will seem more attainable because you will be more financially stable(even if it's still outlandishly expensive)

Old 07-01-2014, 07:20 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,517,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
It all depends on what kind of household we're talking about...

This is from the 2012 Census Bureau Estimates:

Average Family Income,
2 workers, husband and wife

Marin County $209,039
San Francisco County $180,548
Santa Clara County $179,261
San Mateo County $176,633
Alameda County $155,449
Contra Costa County $150,550

So while not all households are in a financial position to buy a single family home, many dual income families are.

So if you are young, I can see how the specter of Bay Area home prices might seem daunting. In time, it will seem more attainable because you will be more financially stable(even if it's still outlandishly expensive)
Are you out of your mind? Those numbers are in no way average! Can you cite your original source?

To the OP: general living standard in bay area is third world like compared to Dallas/Houston.

Old 07-01-2014, 07:49 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Most cannot be in poverty. The median is the income at which there are the same number of people making more than the median as there are making less. It's not the average. It tells you nothing about how many people are way over or way under the median, or if they are all close to the median. What you need it the number of people living there that make less than a living wage for that area, probably about $60k.

Old 07-01-2014, 07:55 PM

212 posts, read 228,967 times
Im Just "Visiting" in poverty
Love this city. Love the weather.
But hell no, I could never afford to live here, not even over in Oakland.
I asked someone here in a restaurant, How they do it? He just said "Rent Control"
So it's either your in a rent controlled unit, have a house that's payed off, Or your the new Techie Rich. Not any room in this city for someone working in the service industry or manufacturing or general labor unless you shack up with a bunch of other people in a small apartment.
and I could never do that, I love living alone.
I live in Phoenix, Arizona and I live in a 1 Bedroom furnished apartment, the utilities are free as well as basic cable.
and there is a nice Pool to swim in and free parking, in a sort of eclectic arty/antique store neighborhood and I only pay $570 a month.
Try finding that here in San Francisco.

Old 07-01-2014, 08:10 PM

21,725 posts, read 16,327,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sovetsky Medved View Post
I asked someone here in a restaurant, How they do it? He just said "Rent Control"
So it's either your in a rent controlled unit, have a house that's payed off, Or your the new Techie Rich. Not any room in this city for someone working in the service industry or manufacturing or general labor unless you shack up with a bunch of other people in a small apartment.
I live in Phoenix, Arizona and I live in a 1 Bedroom furnished apartment, the utilities are free as well as basic cable.
and there is a nice Pool to swim in and free parking, in a sort of eclectic arty/antique store neighborhood and I only pay $570 a month.
Hmmmm I don't own nor live with rent control and I have two waterfront residences for less than $500 monthly combined. One in the Marina district SF. The other suburban

Old 07-01-2014, 08:12 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sovetsky Medved View Post
I don't think people are looking to find Phoenix in San Francisco.

Old 07-01-2014, 08:17 PM

23 posts, read 32,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadhi01 View Post
Are you out of your mind? Those numbers are in no way average! Can you cite your original source?

To the OP: general living standard in bay area is third world like compared to Dallas/Houston.
They can be average. Average and median are two completely different things though as averages can be greatly skew by a few rich people. Such people compromise a tiny percentage of San Francisco.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland