Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2014, 01:35 AM

57 posts, read 182,187 times

Advertisements

hi, i'm planning a visit to sf fleet week in oct. from medford,or and was wondering if it's better to do as google maps suggest and take the 5s to 80w across bay bridge or to take 5s and cut over somewhere to 101s across gg, i'm leaving medford about 7am and i'm staying near the zoo and will probably take public transit from there. thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2014, 04:19 AM

4,038 posts, read 4,863,390 times
You don't want to set yourself up to be crossing the GG Bridge anytime between 3pm and 6pm. The commuter crush happens then. Actually, all the freeways start to get backed up around 3pm, ahead of the rush hour, though less so coming from the north on the East side of the Bay. I'd be very careful how I timed my drive, if I were you.

Old 07-23-2014, 10:41 AM

3,244 posts, read 6,300,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglefanor View Post
hi, i'm planning a visit to sf fleet week in oct. from medford,or and was wondering if it's better to do as google maps suggest and take the 5s to 80w across bay bridge or to take 5s and cut over somewhere to 101s across gg, i'm leaving medford about 7am and i'm staying near the zoo and will probably take public transit from there. thanks
Since you are staying by the zoo it is better for you to take the Golden Gate bridge. Even if you are coming in during weekday traffic times you will be going the opposite direction of traffic. I recommend taking the 80 to highway 37 to the 101 to the Golden Gate. When you get to the Golden Gate stay in the far right hand lane. Go to the far right toll booth. Then make the immediate right turn on Merchant road. This will lead you to Lincoln Blvd and through the Presidio. Turn left on 25th and right on Geary. This will lead you to the Great Highway which takes you to the zoo area.

Taking highway 37 to the 101 is much better than the two bridge route,80-580-101.

It is a good idea for a tourist to take public transit to the downtown area. However it is much easier to drive to attractions on the west side of the city such as Golden Gate park,Twin Peaks,Legion of Honor,Land's End Trail etc.

Old 07-23-2014, 12:20 PM

57 posts, read 182,187 times
Awesome, thanks for the info, I always try to avoid traffic at almost all costs but I know that's tough to do there especially during fleet week. I forgot to mention that I'll be driving in on saturday the 11th, does the route you mentioned go near the cliff house and baker beach?

Old 07-23-2014, 01:01 PM

3,244 posts, read 6,300,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglefanor View Post
Awesome, thanks for the info, I always try to avoid traffic at almost all costs but I know that's tough to do there especially during fleet week. I forgot to mention that I'll be driving in on saturday the 11th, does the route you mentioned go near the cliff house and baker beach?
If you drive in on a Saturday the Golden Gate bridge traffic entering the city is worse than a weekday afternoon but much better than the horrible weekend approach to the city on the Bay Bridge. The route goes right by both the Cliff House and Baker Beach. Also you can stay on Lincoln as it turns into El Camino Del Mar to go by China Beach and the Legion of Honor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
View detailed profiles of: