Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2014, 08:18 AM

2 posts, read 1,928 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are from out of town staying at an air BnB. We got a rental car in the evening and spent quite a long time trying to find a place to park near where we were staying in Mission. We finally saw a spot on Dolores where there is a median. There were cars parked next to the median on both sides as well as next to the sidewalk. There was a spot open next to the median so we parked there. We noted the time (9 am street cleaning) we needed to move the car in the morning and asked passers-by to check the legality of parking there.

So imagine our surprise when we got a call at 5 am that the police were going to tow the car. We ran over there and did manage to move it in time, but we had received two parking violations for parking there. The cop was not sympathetic when we mentioned all the cars previously and showed how there were none now.

This does not seem fair on many counts, and I am hoping some locals can enlighten us on how to proceed.

First, why should we receive two tickets for the same violation. We were not even aware of the violation until after we got the two tickets.

Second, there were no signs indicating that the lane was usable for parking at certain hours and therefore everyone was parked there illegally but they only enforce it for certain hours? No way the cop was being completely forthright when saying no one else was there now. I'm sure he knows people park there other hours.

I understand that ignorance of the law is no excuse, but we feel a bit outraged given that we did our due diligence.

Do we have a case that we can protest?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2014, 09:11 AM

655 posts, read 1,983,706 times
Unfortunately, no--I'm guessing you parked sometime Sunday morning or afternoon. The median parking in the Mission is an unspoken agreement between the City and the churches not to ticket in this area on Sundays so that people can park for church services and activities. They typically start ticketing/towing in the evening on Sunday (and before then it is still illegal--just not enforced). Did you ask the passersby specifically about overnight parking, or just about parking in general? If they said overnight was okay, they unfortunately gave you bad info (as you've already discovered). Sorry is happened to you, but on the bright side, glad you were able to get there before they towed!

Old 07-28-2014, 10:54 AM

629 posts, read 619,818 times
Who called you before you were towed...? From my experience getting towed in the city, no warning is given. You got lucky, and saved about $500.

Old 07-28-2014, 11:16 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alliance View Post
Who called you before you were towed...? From my experience getting towed in the city, no warning is given. You got lucky, and saved about $500.
This is what I was wondering. Who called you?

As far as fighting a parking ticket for parking somewhere without sufficient signage...

I actually won a case when i was ticketed for parking in a red zone that hadn't been painted in eons. There was no signage, and the color red was barely detectable. I took photos of the area showing no signs, and the color of the curb, and took them to traffic court, and I won. Ticket was thrown out. This was in Davis, Ca.

So, sure, fight it. Won't cost you anything but time, well, and maybe parking lol!

Old 07-29-2014, 12:12 AM

655 posts, read 1,983,706 times
I think the tough part here is that this isn't really akin to a curb painting or poor signage situation (which I've definitely known people to challenge successfully)--this is parking your car in the middle of a travel lane, something you'd never even entertain as potentially being legal, except that as the OP found, there were lots of other people doing it too. So you wouldn't expect a sign telling you not to do this, and a city wouldn't expect to have to put one up. It's a strange situation so you could try challenging it and hope for a sympathetic judge who appreciates how bizarre it is, but honestly, for someone from out of town, it's probably not worth it (since I'm pretty sure you have to physically show up in court).

I'm curious about who called, too, though--I wondered if SFPD ran the plates and realized it was a rental car, and called the company (but can't imagine someone answering at 5 am...!)

Old 07-29-2014, 01:55 AM

1,386 posts, read 1,498,473 times
Parking in a traffic lane is always illegal, so of course there would not be signage. Awkwardly, the City of SF has a verbal agreement with churches in that area that they will not go to hell if they let parishioners park there to worship a man that may or may not have existed a couple thousand years ago. It's hypocrisy at its finest, but like any major city, SF is corrupt and this sort of thing happens. Just be happy you didn't get towed. You would have been out several hundred more dollars.

Old 07-29-2014, 11:00 AM

1,948 posts, read 6,462,935 times
to be safe in SF always park in a garage, it's a lot cheaper than getting a ticket or getting towed, when you park in the street you forget the time limits and can easily get a ticket.

Old 08-11-2014, 11:49 AM

2 posts, read 1,928 times
Thank you for all the input. We did learn that it was Sunday parking. We are having someone else contest it for us since we were out of town visitors.

As to who called us, that was the rental company, who I assumed was informed by the policie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
View detailed profiles of: