Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2014, 11:32 PM

7 posts, read 6,935 times

Advertisements

So I am one of those people asking yet again, "Where should I live?".

I'm moving to SF this Fall from Washington, DC to go to school in the Financial District area and am hoping to get suggestions as to where to live, whether it be suggestions on apartment buildings or neighborhoods.

I'm in my mid-30's, single, and trying to decide if I should live in the Financial District so I can walk to classes or if I would have a better experience living in a nearby area. Any insight into apartment buildings and/or neighborhoods close by would be greatly appreciated, and I'm already aware that rents will be very high regardless of where I choose.

I also wouldn't mind getting feedback on what to expect living in the Financial District since from what I've read so far, it's not necessarily an area that has a lot of social activity in the evening and on the weekends. If this is true, is it easily walkable to more vibrant neighborhoods?

Thank you in advance for any responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2014, 01:12 AM

1,386 posts, read 1,496,243 times
There's not much going on in the FiDi outside of office hours. What is your budget? Do you want to live by yourself? When are your classes? What kind of lifestyle do you want to lead outside of the classroom? You might be better off in Chinatown, The Mission, Daly City, Oakland... It's hard to say without a little more info.

Old 07-30-2014, 07:00 AM

Hi,

I'd like to live by myself and hoping to stay under $3K. I also think I'd prefer to live in a high-rise that has some amenities.

Staying close to the financial district so I can get to class by foot, bike or a very short ride on public transportation is important to me.

Where I currently live, I'm right in the middle of the city so I hope to find something similar in SF but I am unfamiliar with the different neighborhoods.

An area with a lot of young professionals, where I can walk out my door and be surrounded by coffee shops, restaurants, possibly close to he water and is somewhat busy and vibrant is what I'm looking for. Does this exist in SF or do I have an unreasonable wish list, especially for my price range?

Old 07-30-2014, 07:51 PM

379 posts, read 785,438 times
If you want a nice high-rise, your best bet is SOMA. You should be able to find a place at 3k or less and walk to class (I'd stay North of AT&T Ballpark and East of 5th street to make this happen). The area is more industrial than the rest of SF, but it has young professionals (there's a huge tech presence) and places to eat and get coffee.

If you're ok with an older building and walking a couple hills to get to & from class, Nob Hill and North Beach are also good places to look. Nob Hill is closer to your classes and easier access to the rest of SF on transit.

Lastly, the FiDi is mostly dead on evenings an weekends, but if you found a deal there it could be ok if your top priority is to be near class. There is good public transit access to everywhere in SF from there - you'll just have to be prepared to leave the neighborhood for entertainment.

Old 07-30-2014, 08:37 PM

1,386 posts, read 1,496,243 times
You should look into SOMA or possibly the area near Union Square/Tendernob/whatever it's called this week.

SOMA has lots of high-rises, and both areas have lots of mid-rises too. Unlike the FiDi, there is more to see and do in both areas, with the former having more of a tech-bro vibe and the latter having more of a tourist vibe. Whatever you do, be sure to avoid 6th Street (in SOMA) and the Tenderloin neighborhood.

I took a quick look at Craigslist and found a few listings that will give you a taste of what to expect in the area:

Studio Sunny Unfurnished Studio W/ Pkg, Lux Doorperson Bldg @ Baycrest
You can't beat this special on our brand new jumbo studio!
OPEN HOUSE! Last one left! Studio with Patio in SOMA
Bright & Clean Apartment in Ideal Downtown Location
Studio in the Financial District/SOMA/Waterfront

Old 07-31-2014, 07:01 PM

Thank you all for your replies, I really appreciate it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland