Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2014, 05:38 PM

6,904 posts, read 8,271,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdizo916 View Post
seattle is still so jealous of us. I don't even care for those mosquitoes.
Ha Ha, I like your sentiment about Seattle.

Apparently, Levi Stadium is a 7 minute WALK from the Capitol Corridor Santa Clara-Great America Station. So, we will try the Capitol Corridor "49er party train" this fall from downtown Sacramento. A bit long, but a FUN stress-free way to go.

Two trains in the morning will get you to Levi's Stadium in time. And 4 trains after the game on a Sunday will get you back to Sacramento.

We never had direct train service to a 49er game, now we do.

Driving from Sacramento to Candlestick was,1hour, 20 mins, if done earlier enough before heavy traffic which we have done before.

Last edited by Chimérique; 08-10-2014 at 05:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2014, 07:57 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,069,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
Just don't forget that the Capitol Corridor doesn't wait for the game. It leaves at the same time it always does. If the game runs too late/early, you might run out of trains.

If that happens, there is a Greyhound station in downtown San Jose, just go to the Great America light rail station (the one closest to the stadium) and get the train that says "Winchester" on it and get off at Paseo de San Antonio Light Rail Station (it's the first one south of Santa Clara Street). You can walk from there to the Greyhound station in about 10 minutes. You could also walk there from San Jose Diridon Station, which is also on the "Winchester" light rail line, it takes 15-20 minutes to walk from there, or you can get on one of the buses that leave from Diridon, such as 63 or 68, each goes to the area where the Greyhound station is.

The Greyhound station is at 70 South Almaden Street, San Jose, CA. Click here for the web site for the station.

Old 08-13-2014, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post
Just don't forget that the Capitol Corridor doesn't wait for the game. It leaves at the same time it always does. If the game runs too late/early, you might run out of trains.

If that happens, there is a Greyhound station in downtown San Jose, just go to the Great America light rail station (the one closest to the stadium) and get the train that says "Winchester" on it and get off at Paseo de San Antonio Light Rail Station (it's the first one south of Santa Clara Street). You can walk from there to the Greyhound station in about 10 minutes. You could also walk there from San Jose Diridon Station, which is also on the "Winchester" light rail line, it takes 15-20 minutes to walk from there, or you can get on one of the buses that leave from Diridon, such as 63 or 68, each goes to the area where the Greyhound station is.

The Greyhound station is at 70 South Almaden Street, San Jose, CA. Click here for the web site for the station.
Ok, thanks, buddy, although I doubt we will need to take the bus.

There are 4 Capitol Corridor trains leaving just before and after 4pm from the Santa Clara-Great America Station to Sacramento on a Sunday.

It is "only" 43 miles from the King Street-Caltran Station in SF to Levi's Stadium and by taking Caltrain and connecting with San Jose's light rail in Mountain View; it's a 2hr and 5 min trip.

It is 115 miles from the Amtrak Station in Sacramento directly to Levi's Stadium and it's only 40 minutes more than SF Caltrain/VTA trip.

Amtrak's Capitol Corridor trains are larger, roomier, more comfortable and faster than the Caltrain.

We are looking forward to see if this will work ok. A big group of us can party on the 2hr 45min journey, free wifi, bring whatever we want on the train (more or less) and sleep on the way back.

This same train has a stop right next to the Oakland Coliseum for A's, and Raiders fans....hmmm that could be troublesome

Old 08-13-2014, 11:23 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
Quote:

There are 4 Capitol Corridor trains leaving just before and after 4pm from the Santa Clara-Great America Station to Sacramento on a Sunday.

It is "only" 43 miles from the King Street-Caltran Station in SF to Levi's Stadium and by taking Caltrain and connecting with San Jose's light rail in Mountain View; it's a 2hr and 5 min trip.

It is 115 miles from the Amtrak Station in Sacramento directly to Levi's Stadium and it's only 40 minutes more than SF Caltrain/VTA trip.

Amtrak's Capitol Corridor trains are larger, roomier, more comfortable and faster than the Caltrain.

We are looking forward to see if this will work ok. A big group of us can party on the 2hr 45min journey, free wifi, bring whatever we want on the train (more or less) and sleep on the way back.

This same train has a stop right next to the Oakland Coliseum for A's, and Raiders fans....hmmm that could be troublesome
I love taking Capital Corridor! Don't forget they have 4 person tables, so you can chat, play games and have drinks! The food car sells wine and beer, and I am sure you can bring your own. I took it on a Friday evening, and it was like happy hour! The regulars had board games and drinks and stuff. I imagine it would be similar after a game.

East Bay peeps, remember, the parking at Emeryville is free, Jack London parking is paid. Berkeley only has metered parking, and not a lot. There are also no ticket agents. I assume the Richmond stop shares parking with BART.

Old 08-13-2014, 01:46 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,069,460 times
Quote:

I agree, it is probably the best choice as a method of getting to Santa Clara, I'm just saying, no matter what you use as the primary method, always, always, always have a backup. I'm not interested in men's sports so I'm not sure how common it is for football games to run later than planned.

Quote:
It is "only" 43 miles from the King Street-Caltran Station in SF to Levi's
Indeed, agree here. There is no reason to use caltrain if coming from Sacramento now that capitol corridor is available. I was just saying that in the event that you need to use greyhound to get back, light rail is an option for getting to the greyhound station in San Jose.

Don't forget, light rail is right there across from the stadium.

Old 08-13-2014, 02:04 PM

1,152 posts, read 3,200,719 times
The problems the stadium ran into are common. Specifically, transit worked well to get TO the game, because everyone arrives at different times. Some go early to hang out / tailgate, some have lunch first, some arrive right when it starts. In all most stadium arrivals are spread out over a 4 hour period (or more).

However, everyone leaves at exactly the same time. The game ends, and everyone runs down to the transit station. Almost no public transit system can handle this situation elegantly. VTA was particularly unprepared.

For 49ers games, their pocket track will be in service, allowing them to have extra trains standing by. That should help. But the reality is, if you have 60,000 people all "hitting the road" at precisely the same moment, you're going to have long waits. Most sporting events and concerts I've attended - in any city - have had this issue. You either wait for transit, or you wait in traffic, but when everyone leaves at the same time, there's no way around the hour or so "time tax."

My personal plan would be to simply hang out for an hour or two (hopefully there will be bars / restaurants around the stadium) to allow things to calm a bit before heading home.

The other issues (wi-fi, concessions, etc) are easily correctable and fairly typical "first run" issues in my book.

I think the stadium will be successful overall. It is certainly a farther trek for the SF crowd, but remember, a chunk of the fans live in the South Bay, so it will be easier for them. Traffic notwithstanding, the stadium is well connected to various highways. And if I recall, Candlestick wasn't exactly a bastion of transit serviceability either.

Old 08-13-2014, 02:24 PM

1,318 posts, read 3,554,481 times
Quote:
Ha Ha, I like your sentiment about Seattle.

Apparently, Levi Stadium is a 7 minute WALK from the Capitol Corridor Santa Clara-Great America Station. So, we will try the Capitol Corridor "49er party train" this fall from downtown Sacramento. A bit long, but a FUN stress-free way to go.

Two trains in the morning will get you to Levi's Stadium in time. And 4 trains after the game on a Sunday will get you back to Sacramento.

Driving from Sacramento to Candlestick was,1hour, 20 mins, if done earlier enough before heavy traffic which we have done before.
Don't forget to take advantage of the 25% discount for game days that Capitol Corridor is offering. I took Capitol Corridor from San Jose to the game on the 2nd, and the trains were very nice and comfortable, more so than Caltrain, a lot better than BART.

Capitol Corridor Trains :: Special Offers :: Levi's Stadium

I doubt it will be crowded, I saw the train arrive from Sacramento and very few people got off to go toward the stadium, I imagine that since few people are mentioning it this will continue, but it is a great service.

Old 08-13-2014, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post
I agree, it is probably the best choice as a method of getting to Santa Clara, I'm just saying, no matter what you use as the primary method, always, always, always have a backup. I'm not interested in men's sports so I'm not sure how common it is for football games to run later than planned.

Yep, it is good to have a backup plan, so VTA to Greyhound....but that would suck, hope we never have to do that.

Indeed, agree here. There is no reason to use caltrain if coming from Sacramento now that capitol corridor is available. I was just saying that in the event that you need to use greyhound to get back, light rail is an option for getting to the greyhound station in San Jose.

Don't forget, light rail is right there across from the stadium.
Yes, I'm not advocating using Caltran as a transfer option to Sacramento, but as back-up it is definitely possible.

As a back-up: From Levi Stadium, you would take VTA(San Jose light rail) up to Mountain View; transfer to Cal-Train towards SF; transfer to BART at MILLBRAE; take BART to RICHMOND; transfer from BART to Capitol Corridor train in Richmond to Sacramento. The transfers at Millbrae and Richmond using BART are convenient, platforms are right next to the Caltrain and the Capitol Corridor trains.

CAPITOL CORRIDOR direct to Sacramento is the way to go for Sacramentans - no need to transfer, no need for San Jose light rail, no need for BART, no need for Muni! -

Old 08-13-2014, 03:33 PM

1,318 posts, read 3,554,481 times
Quote:
Yes, I'm not advocating using Caltran as a transfer option to Sacramento, but as back-up it is definitely possible.

As a back-up: From Levi Stadium, you would take VTA(San Jose light rail) up to Mountain View; transfer to Cal-Train towards SF; transfer to BART at Millbrae; take BART to Richmond; transfer from BART to Capitol Corridor train in Richmond to Sacramento.

Capitol Corridor direct to Sacramento is the way to go for Sacramentans - no transfers, no San Jose light rail, no BART, no Muni.
Consider taking the shuttle to Fremont BART, and taking BART to Richmond to catch a train if there is one leaving from Oakland. If you're going to catch a train from San Jose to Sacramento it might just be better to wait.

So true about a one seat ride

Your other option would be to drive down to Stockton and take the ACE train from there, but it will be a trek to get to Stockton, 50 miles, it is already halfway there.

Old 08-13-2014, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinal2007 View Post
Consider taking the shuttle to Fremont BART, and taking BART to Richmond to catch a train if there is one leaving from Oakland. If you're going to catch a train from San Jose to Sacramento it might just be better to wait.

So true about a one seat ride

Your other option would be to drive down to Stockton and take the ACE train from there, but it will be a trek to get to Stockton, 50 miles, it is already halfway there.
Always good to have back-up options!

But these seem awful, a bus to Fremont from the stadium, yikes!

Why drive to Stockton to take a train, when Sacramentans already have the Captiol Corridor. But always good to have other options
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland