Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2014, 08:05 PM

17 posts, read 27,732 times

Advertisements

Sorry all I mean my office is near downtown South San Francisco (not downtown San Francisco).

So I had an idea to buy a cheap car (I mean real cheap) and leave it parked at SSF ferry terminal. So I would drive to alameda ferry and leave my car there and then get the ferry, when I get to south San Francisco I drive the beater to work and back again and leave it there overnight. Is this a stupid idea?

We have just moved here from the UK so we are struggling to find somewhere to live. We have visited alameda numerous times and it's the only place we have really liked. We like downtown San Mateo but we can't afford to live anywhere near downtown San Mateo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2014, 09:17 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,271,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USABoundPerhaps View Post
Sorry all I mean my office is near downtown South San Francisco (not downtown San Francisco).

So I had an idea to buy a cheap car (I mean real cheap) and leave it parked at SSF ferry terminal. So I would drive to alameda ferry and leave my car there and then get the ferry, when I get to south San Francisco I drive the beater to work and back again and leave it there overnight. Is this a stupid idea?

We have just moved here from the UK so we are struggling to find somewhere to live. We have visited alameda numerous times and it's the only place we have really liked. We like downtown San Mateo but we can't afford to live anywhere near downtown San Mateo.
I don't think this is a stupid idea at all. But, you'll have to factor in the cost/availability of parking.

This link says there's no overnight parking:

Terminals | San Francisco Bay Ferry

This link says there are free shuttles from the ferry, though:

Route | San Francisco Bay Ferry

More info on the free shuttles, including a phone number you can call:

So. San Francisco-Oyster Point Ferry

This FAQ document says there are free bike lockers.

https://sanfranciscobayferry.com/sit...oFerryFAQs.pdf

I think you should call the shuttle and ferry services and ask if there are any overnight parking options near the SSF ferry terminal. Or maybe someone here would know that.

I'm hoping the free shuttles will work for you.

Old 08-10-2014, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I don't think this is a stupid idea at all. But, you'll have to factor in the cost/availability of parking.

This link says there's no overnight parking:

Terminals | San Francisco Bay Ferry

This link says there are free shuttles from the ferry, though:

Route | San Francisco Bay Ferry

More info on the free shuttles, including a phone number you can call:

So. San Francisco-Oyster Point Ferry

This FAQ document says there are free bike lockers.

https://sanfranciscobayferry.com/sit...oFerryFAQs.pdf

I think you should call the shuttle and ferry services and ask if there are any overnight parking options near the SSF ferry terminal. Or maybe someone here would know that.

I'm hoping the free shuttles will work for you.
Thanks. That gives me options with the ferry and shuttle (the free one does work for me) but I don't like being without a car so I suppose I could ferry some days, drive others when I can go in later and work from home 1 day per week. It might work.

Old 08-10-2014, 11:22 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,271,327 times
Quote:
Thanks. That gives me options with the ferry and shuttle (the free one does work for me) but I don't like being without a car so I suppose I could ferry some days, drive others when I can go in later and work from home 1 day per week. It might work.
Hey, that's great news that the shuttle will work for you.

You know, you can always call a cab on days when you need to get somewhere outside your normal commute, too, on either side of the bay. Say, you go to work, and then need to take a cab in the middle of the day to a doctor's appointment, etc.

Just another option in addition to driving.

The only ferry I've ever taken on the bay is the one from Tiburon to Angel's Island. I found it so relaxing. I think commuting via the ferry would be really pleasant, compared to BART or driving.

Old 08-11-2014, 03:53 AM

1,386 posts, read 1,475,808 times
I am so confused. Why is everyone talking about SF? OP clearly stated that his/her job is in South City.

Glad to hear that the ferry/shuttle option works for you. I have a friend that commutes from Oakland to SSF daily and loves the ferry, but he usually only takes it once a week because BART is cheaper. BART does not have a stop in Alameda, so that wouldn't be an option for you unless you hopped on the bus first or did the park-and-ride thing at Fruitvale station.

In addition to the ferry/shuttle combo, don't forget that you can do the ferry/bike combo. That gives you lunchtime flexibility, which is why I presume you want to have your car with you. Otherwise the Bay Area is not for you if you prefer to drive. Traffic and parking here are terribly inconvenient in most places.

Old 08-11-2014, 09:29 AM

578 posts, read 1,289,891 times
Quote:
I found that Alameda to SSF / Burlingame commute was always lighter after 9:30-10AM. If you can leave around those times when you want to drive you'll be good. The commute back will be the sticking point, though. It doesn't really clear up until around 7PM regardless of what route you take.

Old 08-11-2014, 01:38 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,057,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davdaven View Post
I am so confused. Why is everyone talking about SF? OP clearly stated that his/her job is in South City.

Glad to hear that the ferry/shuttle option works for you. I have a friend that commutes from Oakland to SSF daily and loves the ferry, but he usually only takes it once a week because BART is cheaper. BART does not have a stop in Alameda, so that wouldn't be an option for you unless you hopped on the bus first or did the park-and-ride thing at Fruitvale station.

In addition to the ferry/shuttle combo, don't forget that you can do the ferry/bike combo. That gives you lunchtime flexibility, which is why I presume you want to have your car with you. Otherwise the Bay Area is not for you if you prefer to drive. Traffic and parking here are terribly inconvenient in most places.
The infrastructure in SSF is not good for biking, and I say this as someone who commuted from SSF to Burlingame by bicycle and public transit for 3 years. Even El Camino has no bike lane, and most of the side streets are super tight.

Old 08-11-2014, 09:24 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,044,423 times
hmm. okay well Google Maps estimates an hour and ten minutes on transit. BART goes from South San Francisco to Oakland, then you take the bus to Alameda. I need a better idea on start address and end address to be more specific.

Old 08-13-2014, 12:15 PM

So I drove down to the South San Francisco ferry terminal yesterday and while the parking seems a bit odd I am not sure how there is no overnight parking when there seems to be people living there in their cars!

But it's all pointless right now as we just can't seem to find anywhere to live at the moment. There is nothing within our price range on the market in any location. We are looking at San Mateo, Foster City, Palo Alto (not east), Mountain View, Alameda and there is nothing.

Old 08-13-2014, 12:48 PM

578 posts, read 1,289,891 times
Quote:
So I drove down to the South San Francisco ferry terminal yesterday and while the parking seems a bit odd I am not sure how there is no overnight parking when there seems to be people living there in their cars!

But it's all pointless right now as we just can't seem to find anywhere to live at the moment. There is nothing within our price range on the market in any location. We are looking at San Mateo, Foster City, Palo Alto (not east), Mountain View, Alameda and there is nothing.
Yeah, San Mateo/Foster City/Palo Alto are all pretty expensive areas. Mountain View comes in after. Surprised you didn't find anything in Alameda -- what are you looking for? (Price range, pets?, etc)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland