Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2014, 09:42 PM

3 posts, read 8,483 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

My mother is trying to move the Bay Area to be closer to her work's headquarters near the San Francisco Int'l Airport. She only needs to be there a couple times (at most) a week. Therefore, close proximity to the city is not that important. I'm trying to help her find a place. She wants to buy a small house (with a yard) in a safe and affordable city/town. We were originally thinking about Antioch or Oakley, but we heard that both cities have above average crime. Her price range is under $400,000 for a house.

We are looking into cities north of SF such as Sonoma, Santa Rosa, Petaluma

Can you all please suggest some safe and affordable cities/towns that are within an hour and half drive to SF?

Thank you,

-Rolandhya
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2014, 12:13 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
The commute will take a toll on most people... especially if there are bridges involved...

People do make it work... I know a few that live in Mountain House and Tracy... they love their homes and detest their commute!

Maybe she could look for something closer to BART?

Old 08-17-2014, 01:06 AM

13,711 posts, read 9,231,974 times
First of all, SF Int' Airport is about 10 miles south of SF.

Second, whatever commute time Google map tells you, multiply by 2 or even 3 and that's the actual commute time in rush hour. (Here, I'm assuming your mom goes to work at the same time as everyone else.)

Third, you have to take into account the bottleneck that comes with crossing bridges or tunnels.

I think Santa Rosa, Petaluma, Sonoma, and other towns out there are way too far. You have to cross the Golden Gate Bridge and then deal with the heavily congested 19th Ave/Hwy 1.

Since you've already looked at Antioch, may as well go one exit further and look in Brentwood - it's a much safer town. Brentwood will get a BART station sometime in the future but for now, your Mom's commute should be to drive to the Pittsburg station and take BART to SF Int' (assuming her office is really that close to the airport). Driving from Brentwood to SFO would probably take closer to 2 hrs.

Other towns I suggest is Martinez, Concord (the area that just borders Walnut Creek), El Cerrito, and El Sabrante.

Of course, don't forget Oakland. Look in the area north of 580 and east of 24, or around Lake Merritt.

Also, if your Mom's income is below $70k/year, she may qualify for BMR (below market rate) housing.

Old 08-17-2014, 09:28 AM

21,876 posts, read 25,139,139 times
Most of the Peninsula is affordable at that budget. Forget the house though, ain't happening. That's 1bd apartment money ($2,000 mo) in the Bay Area.

Old 08-17-2014, 10:00 AM

3,980 posts, read 8,987,938 times
Your mom could also look into Concord (much closer and with a BART station to SFO) Pittsburg (much safer than Antioch), or as someone else mentioned, Martinez.
She'd definitely be able to find something in her price range.

Even nicer yet would be Pleasant Hill (but she'd have to look into a condo or cottage rather than a house, however).

Santa Rosa, Petaluma, and Sonoma may possibly be out of her price range (with the exception of Santa Rosa) but they're very far away, from the Bay Area, imo.

Old 08-17-2014, 11:35 AM

1,386 posts, read 1,498,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
Your mom could also look into Concord (much closer and with a BART station to SFO) Pittsburg (much safer than Antioch), or as someone else mentioned, Martinez.
She'd definitely be able to find something in her price range.

Even nicer yet would be Pleasant Hill (but she'd have to look into a condo or cottage rather than a house, however).

Santa Rosa, Petaluma, and Sonoma may possibly be out of her price range (with the exception of Santa Rosa) but they're very far away, from the Bay Area, imo.
I am in general agreement with this. I would qualify the last statement by saying that Sonoma County is most definitely part of the Bay Area; however, it's about as far away from SFO as one can get in this region.

Not mentioned yet is Morgan Hill, Gilroy, and some parts of San Jose. Caltrain runs from these towns to Millbrae, San Bruno, or whichever station is closest to your mother's workplace. There will be only a handful of single-family homes available in the $400K range, but it would be relatively easy to find a condo or mobile home in this price range.

FYI, the Caltrain schedule is far more limited than the BART schedule, so I recommend a neighborhood on a BART line if possible, preferably on one of the two lines that runs to San Mateo County. I would not recommend a car commute to the SFO area, as traffic is bad coming from almost all directions.

Old 08-17-2014, 07:10 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,500,469 times
I agree that Concord would be a great choice. It's much safer than Antioch or Pittsburg. It's just a blue collar suburb. My cousins grew up there. My daughter was just looking for a home there a couple years ago, but she chose to buy in Oakland instead - more to do for a young person in Oakland.

Lots of options for a house with a yard in Concord in your Mom's price range:

http://www.redfin.com/city/4150/CA/C...t=sanfrancisco

And there is a BART station in Concord. She could go to downtown Walnut Creek for upscale shopping, and it's right next to Concord. Concord has the big box stores and tons of strip malls, etc. Not fancy, but pretty safe and has a lot of nice older neighborhoods.

Old 08-17-2014, 07:15 PM

BTW, I can give you the name of a great realtor - the one who helped my daughter find her home in the East Bay. DM me if you want her name and contact info. She's really nice and energetic and knows the area - grew up in Oakland, lives in Lamorinda now. Great lady.

Old 08-17-2014, 07:20 PM

78 posts, read 164,405 times
What about Daly City? I never see it mentioned here. I've never been there but it seems relatively safe and affordable (at least rent prices are)

Old 08-17-2014, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrOctagon View Post
What about Daly City? I never see it mentioned here. I've never been there but it seems relatively safe and affordable (at least rent prices are)
Just searched on Redfin, and there's only one condo that is a studio listed for $400,000 and under. It's the only listing. Has a deck but no yard. Looks like Daly City is out.

http://www.redfin.com/CA/Daly-City/3...8/home/1933194
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland