U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2014, 06:33 AM

2 posts, read 2,359 times

Advertisements

Hi

I plan to move to Bayarea this September.
I have a family with 2 kids, one will turn 5 in middle of September.

My work place is in Market street, SFO.
I would like to have a balance in terms of commute time (less than 30 minutes - door to desk), less expensive rent for apartment, good school for my son turning 5 in middle of September.

So far my options are:

Inside City, like in Mission street, 15 mins walk to work - but rent is expensive, not sure about schools.
Daly City - BART ?
San Bruno - Take Caltrain
Burlingame - Take Caltrain
Union City - BART
Fremont - BART

Can you please give some suggestions.
My son turns 5 only in middle of September. I believe school cut off date is Sep 1.
Will that be an issue?

Thanks
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2014, 08:59 AM

1,585 posts, read 2,843,248 times
Your son will qualify to attend Transitional Kindergarten (not regular kindergarten) due to his birthday falling right after the cut-off. All school districts offer the program.

You can take BART from San Bruno to Market Street, SF. (or Caltrain if you prefer).

Old 08-18-2014, 10:44 AM

13,714 posts, read 8,511,641 times
There is no such thing as a school district in the city of San Francisco, it uses a dumb and complicated lottery system to assign kids to schools. In short, there is no guarantee which school your kid will get into. Many families in SF send their kids to private schools.

You can find more information here:

Confused by San Francisco’s Public School Lottery? Here’s Our Explainer. | Bay Area Real Estate Market Blog | Pacific Union

I'd suggest you use padmapper.com to see the rental options plotted on a map. But in general, "less expensive rent" and "good school" don't usually go together.

If you're looking for good public schools, you'll probably have to live outside of SF. A few towns I'd suggest: Berkeley, Albany, Alameda, Moraga, Castro Valley, and I'm sure there are more. Yes, they are mostly in the East Bay because the Peninsula is even more expensive.

From within SF, I think Richmond and Sunset Districts still have a few good elementary schools (but they get progressively worse starting with middle schools), but again, no guarantee your kid will get into those schools.

Old 08-19-2014, 02:21 AM

2 posts, read 2,359 times
Thanks to both of you for your reply. It was quite useful. I will check out padmapper.com.

I too preferred San Bruno.

Meanwhile, I was checking in rent.com and found 3 interesting apartments which were not very expensive.
Lakewood Apartments, Parkmerced and Kirkham.
Do you have idea/feedback on those?
Is that a good neighborhood?

Once my son turns 5 in September, will he be moved to regular kindergarten automatically or does he have to wait till next year?

Old 08-19-2014, 05:09 PM

434 posts, read 970,908 times
A recent article about the San Francisco school system:

http://www.sfexaminer.com/sanfrancis...nt?oid=2875677

There's a Lakewood Apartments on John Muir Drive just south of Lake Merced. I haven't rented there, but can offer a con and a pro about the neighborhood:

con: Your only transit option is the 18 bus, which runs only every twenty or thirty minutes. You'll probably want a car here.

pro: You'll be right next to beautiful Fort Funston, San Francisco's leading dog park and mecca for hang gliders. Fellow Feathers Fort Funston I think most would feel quite fortunate to look back on a childhood in the backyard of such a magnificent natural setting. Your kids might thank you when they're older, at least if they're not adverse to dogs.

Old 08-19-2014, 06:52 PM

1,585 posts, read 2,843,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ve2c View Post
Once my son turns 5 in September, will he be moved to regular kindergarten automatically or does he have to wait till next year?
He missed the cut off for regular kindergarten but will qualify for transitional kindergarten. He will have to wait a year to attend regular kindergarten. They generally don't offer transitional kindergarten at all elementary schools (yet), but you can get further information here on SF's program -

http://www.sfusd.edu/en/enroll-in-sf...dergarten.html

Old 08-20-2014, 02:54 PM

13,714 posts, read 8,511,641 times
Quote:

Meanwhile, I was checking in rent.com and found 3 interesting apartments which were not very expensive.

They are in the western part of SF, which is fine. The area is slow, quiet, very residential, and family-oriented. It's not convenient and the weather is foggy most of the year.

Parkmerced is slated to be torn down rebuilt sometime in the near future, just fyi.

Old 08-21-2014, 11:13 PM

1,486 posts, read 273,074 times
I'd recommend Daly City or Burlingame, they are nice and have friendly neighborhoods. I don't like Fremont though, it's just dry and bland.

Old 08-21-2014, 11:47 PM

3,087 posts, read 5,766,678 times
Quote:
Parkmerced -I would avoid this location

Lakewood - Inconvenient for public transit but ok if you have two cars

Kirkham - If these are the apartments on 5th & Kirkham it is the very convenient & walkable Inner Sunset location. One could take the N train downtown easily.

Watch out for airplane noise if you rent in San Bruno, especially near the mall.

Old 08-26-2014, 03:23 PM

213 posts, read 233,700 times
Extend your commute to 40 minutes and get a place along the Lafayette/Moraga/Orinda corridor. Or extend it to 45 minutes and rent in Walnut Creek. You get a much better place to raise a family along with excellent schools.

Don't rely on Caltrain. My friend takes it to get to Mountain View and he gets into work late at least once a week. BART is a much better option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland