Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 07:12 AM

84 posts, read 195,743 times

Advertisements

I heard the prices have crashed out there in S.F. also ! We want to move to the West Coast as we have had enough of the terrible climate near Chicago. We want no wind. a nice small city, and NO TIAJUANA type area ! I KNOW THAT MAY BE HARD FOR CALIF.! The I -5 cities are out, as the online data makes Stockton, Modesto etc . look like bad places in the summer with the heat. The best place seems to be Monterey,and I did see Sonoma is 80% caucasion. I don't want to be around the world famous gangs that are shown on t.v. in prisons out there. We are quiet people with a 10 yr. old daughter. My wife has seen S.F. on t.v. and wants this area. I have seen Oakland looks more like Haiti, and O'Reilley stated U.C. Berkeley flies the Chinese flag at the campus. I wish to ask ! Why are there SO MANY private ELEMENTARY schools proportionately to public in S.F. Are the schools bad in S.F. ? I did research on the Portland burbs, and they make Cal. schools look bad ! Also there seem to be few REAL jobs around S.F. if one believes Careerbuilder ! The postings always want designers, mgrs. I.T. . And medical jobs are not good, sick people and sitting in some office ! It is much better to be outside ,like a park ranger or something. Info please.

Old 03-01-2009, 09:51 AM

15,639 posts, read 26,267,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Tryn View Post
I heard the prices have crashed out there in S.F. also ! We want to move to the West Coast as we have had enough of the terrible climate near Chicago. We want no wind. a nice small city, and NO TIAJUANA type area ! I KNOW THAT MAY BE HARD FOR CALIF.! The I -5 cities are out, as the online data makes Stockton, Modesto etc . look like bad places in the summer with the heat. The best place seems to be Monterey,and I did see Sonoma is 80% caucasion. I don't want to be around the world famous gangs that are shown on t.v. in prisons out there. We are quiet people with a 10 yr. old daughter. My wife has seen S.F. on t.v. and wants this area. I have seen Oakland looks more like Haiti, and O'Reilley stated U.C. Berkeley flies the Chinese flag at the campus. I wish to ask ! Why are there SO MANY private ELEMENTARY schools proportionately to public in S.F. Are the schools bad in S.F. ? I did research on the Portland burbs, and they make Cal. schools look bad ! Also there seem to be few REAL jobs around S.F. if one believes Careerbuilder ! The postings always want designers, mgrs. I.T. . And medical jobs are not good, sick people and sitting in some office ! It is much better to be outside ,like a park ranger or something. Info please.

We have a lot of wind.

And while home prices have come down, this is still a very high cost of living area. The areas you are looking for are still VERY high. We also just hit 10% unemployment in CA, so you would be wise to have a job before moving here.

Our school system isn't the best and a lot of my friends with kids elect to send them to private schools.

Last edited by Tallysmom; 03-01-2009 at 09:55 AM.. Reason: To add more

Old 03-01-2009, 10:07 AM

3,980 posts, read 8,990,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Tryn View Post
Now with all your assessments on California, why would you choose to move to such a frightening place?... With all the rampant gangs, horrific conditions in schools, the Chinese flags flying everywhere and the terrible medical/IT jobs...just like Tijuana! Stay put...please don't come to the West Coast because you think there's no wind.

Old 03-01-2009, 10:12 AM

3,735 posts, read 8,070,033 times
Stay Put, I agree. Is this a serious thread?

Old 03-01-2009, 10:40 AM

4,156 posts, read 11,012,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea-girl View Post
Stay Put, I agree. Is this a serious thread?
Seriously. Triple ditto on that. Keep your hysteria...

Old 03-01-2009, 11:12 AM

1,197 posts, read 4,784,035 times
Quadruple ditto

Old 03-01-2009, 11:15 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,159,353 times
O'Reilly? You just keep getting better and better.

Old 03-01-2009, 01:36 PM

35 posts, read 101,389 times
Default I LOVE Monterey!

We have lived in Monterey, and nearby Pacific Grove. I would highly recommend both, but if you are looking for a city the size of San Francisco you will be sorely disappointed. Monterey is filled with tourists during certain times of the year, while Pacific Grove has more of a quiet small town feel year round.

Monterey (and nearby cities) do not have a lot of jobs other than in the tourism industry. No matter where you move, DO NOT MOVE HERE WITHOUT A JOB! As Tallysmom mentioned unemployment has hit 10% in California.

As far as weather San Francisco can be pretty chilly year round (50's and 60's), and Monterey is the same, although there are some nice warm sunny days as well. Expect quite a bit of fog, which I like, but some people do not.

The schools in Pacific Grove are excellent! Check greatschools.net to compare public or private schools in the cities you are interested in.

Old 03-01-2009, 05:19 PM

516 posts, read 1,338,742 times
I'm thinking that if you only want to be around white people than California is really the wrong place for you. Sorry. You know you cannot believe the stats for any area that has agriculture (like Monterrey and Sonoma) because it does not count seasonal workers.

Your post seriously ooged me out.

Old 03-01-2009, 05:44 PM

1,229 posts, read 3,246,283 times
Sounds like Idaho might be the place for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland