Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 12:44 PM

3,570 posts, read 2,508,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Not exactly. What makes it hipster is that hipsters think they discovered these things and are the only people doing them. I do half of these things on the list, yet I am self-aware enough to realize I am not the first, nor will I be the last person to appreciate a handcrafted cocktail or the benefits of using your bike to get around town. People have been doing that stuff for 200 years or more.
You are just ascribing a mentality to other people. I know a lot of people who enjoy all of those things, but I do not know a single person who thinks it is their discovery or that no one else is doing them.

Quote:
You are out of the loop, it is a new neighborhood called North of Panhandle. North Panhandle Neighborhood Association
They had to break off from the Western Addition to justify the price increases.
That's just a blog (and it goes by NOPNA, not NOPA). And realtors do what realtors do. Unless you believe that "The Quad" is a neighborhood between Castro and the Mission, then you should ignore them.

NOPNA also links to another blog, one which uses the actual name of the neighborhood: The Western Edition - Community Newspaper - San Francisco,CA

I live geographically north of the panhandle. The New York Times sparked the use of NoPa as an acronym for a section of Western Addition that is mostly not north of the panhandle. They did so because of the restaurant. http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/201...SURFACING.html
New York Times: 'NoPa Is Poised To Become The Next Mission' (PHOTOS)

Take a look at these links for further analysis:
Dodgers Fans Enter NOPA vs. Western Addition Branding Battle: SFist
Stop Saying NoPa - Western Addition Nickname - SF
NoPa Vs. Western Addition: What's In A Name? | Hoodline

Quote:
My dad has summed up hipsters really well. Hippies without a cause.
I stand by hipsters = young people, especially college-educated ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2014, 01:57 PM

36,641 posts, read 67,283,984 times
'Hippies without a cause' is just about perfect, just squeeze in the words "wannabe" somewhere in there and.its spot on. LOL

Old 08-25-2014, 03:02 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,877,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelMartialArtist View Post
America's Most Hipster Cities - Epicenter of the American Hipster in 2013 - Thrillist
5) Oakland, CA
Having been priced out of San Fran, "real" hippies flocked to Oakland and turned it into a destination for pot-smoking, Zen-seeking libertarians and bad NFL football. Ok, that last part's actually Al Davis' fault. In the ‘90s though, Oakland's beatnik mayor encouraged all sorts of out-there, organic-themed mandates like biodynamic gardening, yoga, and ecologically-sensitive urban planning. The city even boasts a place where you can "float" in a tank of warm saltwater to "remove external physical stimuli and create a state of 'sensory' relaxation". And if that doesn't prove our point, nothing Terrelle Pryor does on the field will.

The description kinda fit my liking so I wonder whether it is cheap enough for me to move there?

I always thought "hippies" and "hipsters" were pretty different groups. Yea, I know these are just labels and the general stereotypes of each have things in common. But usually most "hipsters" aren't very much like most "hippies". I actually think most "hipsters" have more in common with a typical yuppie than a true hippie. I think it's interesting when people/authors of articles try to use them interchangeably.

Anyway, in relation to the main question: Yes, in some parts of Oakland, there has been a large influx of hipster-type people. And yes, sometimes it is related to being priced out of SF. That being said, Oakland is its own unique place and is attractive in its own unique way.

Old 08-25-2014, 03:11 PM

1,963 posts, read 3,029,775 times
" Is Oakland a cheap hipster city ? "

Are you asking if Oakland is full of cheap hipsters, or if it is a city full of hipsters where it is inexpensive to live?

Old 08-25-2014, 03:34 PM

102,102 posts, read 107,266,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
I always thought "hippies" and "hipsters" were pretty different groups. Yea, I know these are just labels and the general stereotypes of each have things in common. But usually most "hipsters" aren't very much like most "hippies". I actually think most "hipsters" have more in common with a typical yuppie than a true hippie. I think it's interesting when people/authors of articles try to use them interchangeably.
I was going to post the same thing. Hipsters are nothing like hippies, and don't look or dress like them at all. Flash back on youtube to some Summer of Love footage, if you need proof. If hipsters are into special beers, hand-crafted cocktails, and other luxuries, they're worlds away from hippies, and are in the Yuppie Zone. Maybe on the periphery of it, but still, in that zone.

Old 08-25-2014, 03:35 PM

37,088 posts, read 42,066,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
'Hippies without a cause' is just about perfect, just squeeze in the words "wannabe" somewhere in there and.its spot on. LOL
Not even close and just made to make the ignorant masses giggle (ignorant in that they don't know what people are saying about them...you have a label too and just don't know it). Have fun!

Old 08-25-2014, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelMartialArtist View Post
The city even boasts a place where you can "float" in a tank of warm saltwater to "remove external physical stimuli and create a state of 'sensory' relaxation".
I don't see what this has to do with anything. You'd be surprised, a number of towns and cities around the US have flotation tanks for de-stressing. Sometimes they're combined with spas or massage clinics. Flotation tanks have been around for decades.

Old 08-25-2014, 04:12 PM

3,570 posts, read 2,508,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post

Anyway, in relation to the main question: Yes, in some parts of Oakland, there has been a large influx of hipster-type people. And yes, sometimes it is related to being priced out of SF. That being said, Oakland is its own unique place and is attractive in its own unique way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I was going to post the same thing. Hipsters are nothing like hippies, and don't look or dress like them at all. Flash back on youtube to some Summer of Love footage, if you need proof. If hipsters are into special beers, hand-crafted cocktails, and other luxuries, they're worlds away from hippies, and are in the Yuppie Zone. Maybe on the periphery of it, but still, in that zone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
It is notable that many people in this thread are comparing "hipsters" to "yuppies." That observation is notable because Gen Y is the most educated generation in the history of the United States. You would expect a population with high education levels to earn high incomes and reflect those incomes in lifestyle. So . . . they are college-educated young people.

Old 08-25-2014, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
It is notable that many people in this thread are comparing "hipsters" to "yuppies." That observation is notable because Gen Y is the most educated generation in the history of the United States. You would expect a population with high education levels to earn high incomes and reflect those incomes in lifestyle. So . . . they are college-educated young people.
You can't label all educated young people "hipsters", though. Most choose not to dress like hipsters, and some don't drink alcohol at all, others aren't interested in artisanal beers or cocktails. I'm not sure why you want to lump all young people together. There's tremendous diversity there. And not all hipsters are young. Some are middle-aged.

Old 08-25-2014, 04:46 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,877,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
I understand that, as I am one of those Gen Yers (or am I a millennial? I'm not sure...depends on the article, I guess?). I understand your point about the high level of education in this generation, but there are still definitely different types of people in this generation. You can definitely find plenty of typical "yuppies"...and you can definitely find plenty of "hipsters". Especially around here where there are many young people that are paid very well.

At any rate, I only brought it up because of the terms used in the article in the OP. The author uses the term "hipster" in the title of the article and then talks about "hippies" fleeing to Oakland. I find it interesting how they're used interchangeably so often in many articles (I've seen it many times in other articles before). Almost in a way that people think they're the same group...when they're really not that similar (again, using the stereotypical definitions of each).

I know plenty of people that would fit the "hipster" profile. And I know some people who might fit the "hippie" definition (although, I don't think I know any true hippies, like what you found in SF in the '60's). And they're not really similar, outside of some small similarities (usually to do with things that many young people have in common: open-mindedness about change, lax outlook on drugs, appreciation of "indie" things and small-scale food production, etc.). It's also worth pointing out that I know and encounter more people that would fit the "hipster" definition than the "hippie" definition. The former is definitely a bigger trend for young people right now.

In day-to-day life most "hipsters" I know are a lot more in line with the typical yuppie. They might be into indie music, free-range/farm-to-table food, and local beers; but they also often make a lot of money (especially here) and enjoy spending their money. They might not spend it on material things, but they're definitely consumers in a big way (rent, food, vacations, concerts/music festivals, or other "experiences").
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland