Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 05:09 PM

578 posts, read 1,290,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Where do you get the idea that SJ is ignoring the housing issue the same as Mountain View or Palo Alto?
I have to agree, SJ doesn't seem to be ignoring the housing issue. They're creating much more housing than Palo Alto (are there even any new housing being built?) and Mountain View (luxury apartments) at this point. It's silly how a small group can block something that would benefit a greater group ... not everyone will like everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2014, 07:19 PM

833 posts, read 1,192,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
Ok, no politics. How exactly do you propose population management? I'm curious. You state that you don't think we should implement a one child policy like China. If any growth is a cancer then how do you propose to kill that cancer? Be honest. I'm just trying to understand your mindset.
Stop letting droves of unwanted immigrants flood our country

Old 09-05-2014, 08:49 PM

2,552 posts, read 2,448,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Where do you get the idea that SJ is ignoring the housing issue the same as Mountain View or Palo Alto?
It was incorrect to for me to use language which implies that San Jose is nearly as bad as Palo Alto.

That said, San Jose has the highest gross rents in the whole of the country; this is a horribly unaffordable place to live. There are so many corridors which offer specific opportunities for growth. And San Jose as a whole has room for it, with an average density of ~5k ppsm (95126, by comparison--hardly a bastion of density--sits at 7k ppsm). Yes, there's a mini-boom downtown--half a dozen or more sites between planning and finished--and there's activity at the north end of N. 1st, on San Carlos, and a new Avalon just finished work on Stockton Avenue off the Alameda, but all of this pales in comparison to the demand. San Jose puts a lot of rules and fees in the way of development, and it's general and specific plans contain a whole lot of "shoulds" and "oughts" and very few "shalls."

I look at what SJ could be--an affordable city without losing its character--and see what it has been and is doing and find myself disappointed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland