Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 03:54 PM

1,265 posts, read 1,422,970 times

Advertisements

As somewhat of a follow-up thread to my prior one trying to figure out what Oakland neighborhood would work for my wife and I, we decided to start looking in the city instead. I'd be trading my semi-decent commute from Walnut Creek to Pleasanton for a 70-90 minute or more endeavor, but I'm also looking for a job in the city at the same time. Most of the opportunities that fit what my wife does are in the Financial District/SoMa and she's the one complaining about the commute from WC.

We drove around much of the entire western and southern parts of the city and we really liked the vibrancy of the Mission area. I'd prefer something close to a BART stop at this point.

I haven't really seen a thread about qualities of other neighborhoods that might make me rethink that and be willing to extend what'll already be a terrible commute.

Right now I'm thinking Glen Park or the southwestern part of the Mission near the 24th St station.

Parts of Sunset seemed really cool if you could swing an ocean view, but other parts of Sunset (maybe Inner or Middle Sunset?) seemed really bland and incredibly lacking in substance. Haight is Haight. It's cool to me, but I doubt I'd fit in.

I don't know much about the rest, so I would like to hear about what your favorite neighborhood is in the city and why you like it. Don't worry about trying to find me a place, I'm more data gathering to see if there's another gem that fits us (without having to describe ourselves in a bajillion words).

Last edited by ServoMiff; 08-27-2014 at 04:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2014, 03:59 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,149,957 times
Lower Haight. Unfortunately, in the past 5 years, the redevelopment in Mid-Market has turned it from a pretty, but middle-of-the-road place into the most expensive neighborhood in the entire city!!

Old 08-27-2014, 04:18 PM

483 posts, read 842,195 times
Probably the Cole Valley / Inner Sunset area.

- Nice proximity to many of my favorite areas for bars, restaurants, and other businesses
- Close to lots of good nature and parks
- Decent public transportation availability
- Not as annoying and crowded as the Mission, Marina, North Beach, etc.

Old 08-27-2014, 11:08 PM

1,059 posts, read 1,207,802 times
Hayes Valley:

I have an apt right by there.
There's alot of trendy restaurants and bar
It was gentrified so it use to be "bad"

I also like North Beach and Golden Boy's pizza. mmmmm, that oyster pizza doe.

Old 08-28-2014, 12:55 AM

24,397 posts, read 26,946,756 times
Noe Valley
Inner Sunset / Inner Richmond
Marina District
Russian Hill
Telegraph Hill

...they are safe, nice, beautiful.

Old 08-28-2014, 01:19 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,134,833 times
I like Russian Hill best. I have lived in this neighborhood for a little over two years. There are many reasons why it's my favorite:

Transportation: there are no fewer than 9 separate Muni bus lines with stops within four blocks of my front door. Plus, every Golden Gate Transit line (I believe) runs along the Lombard/Van Ness corridor just blocks from my door. There are also two separate cable car lines within an easy walk of my apartment.

Views: best in the City. From Alcatraz and the Bay, to Coit Tower, the City and Telegraph Hill, to the Golden Gate Bridge, Cow Hollow, and the fog that pours over the tree line in the Presidio, Russian Hill is treated to the most iconic SF views every day, and it never gets old.

Proximity to walkable commercial streets: bars, clubs, boutiques, cafes, and high end dining on Polk. Quaint neighborhood bistros, shopping and cable cars on Hyde. Nationally branded stores, day spas, sidewalk cafes, wine bars, pubs, and boutiques on Union. Local eateries, neighborhood bars, sandwich shops, and stores on Chestnut. Italian eateries, gelato shops, panini joints, wine bars, dive bars, strip clubs, and head shops on Columbus. Even tourist traps, street performers, seafood, fish markets, trinkets, art galleries, and fast-casual food along several streets of Fisherman's Wharf.--all of these are within walking distance of my front door. Not a week goes by that I don't enjoy at least one evening or afternoon along one of them.

The environment: some streets become steps because they are too steep and thus, they are beautifully planted parks and green spaces. There is little car traffic (except on Lombard, Union, Broadway, and Polk). The architecture is mostly classic SF Victorian and Edwardian. This is where Lombard St. does its twisty thing, cable car bells and fog horns are regularly heard, and the streets away from the commercial ones are quiet residential ones, with trees, gardens, and attractive homes.

Weather: we are beyond and above the regular fog line, so days are usually sunny and pleasant, with a nice cool breeze. On the west side of the hill, the breeze off the Pacific is like constant, free air conditioning.

Adjacent neighborhoods: Nob Hill (Grace Cathedral, classic hotels), North Beach/Chinatown (ethnic eateries, bars, foot traffic, nightlife, tourists), Fort Mason/Waterfront (park, biking, and bay) Cow Hollow/Marina (shopping, dining, nightlife).

Russian Hill is really all the best of SF within a little over one square mile.

Last edited by dalparadise; 08-28-2014 at 01:29 AM..

Old 08-28-2014, 02:00 PM

136 posts, read 196,908 times
My favorite is Russian Hill for the views and the beautiful streets, but I wouldn't want to live there because owning a car is too difficult.

I also like the Mission for the Latino culture -- great food, good vibes on the street. The Mission, however, is huge, so when you talk about the Mission you could be talking about many places. My favorite part of the Mission is 24th Street between Mission and Portrero. I like the shops and trees on that street.

I live in Noe Valley, the neighborhood everyone is supposed to love. It's family-friendly. It gets good weather. But 24th Street in my neighborhood is boring.

Glen Park and Bernal Heights (south side) are like little villages. Very cozy and fun to walk around. Good off-the-radar restaurants. But the lots are oddly shaped, the houses are scrunched too close together, and parking can be hard.

A little secret: Mission Terrace. The houses are large (many with alleys in the back), the place is sunny, and you're right next to Balboa Park and near the Balboa BART station. This is an up and coming neighborhood IMHO.

I would not live west of Twin Peaks unless I had a fantastic ocean view. The people out there seem to hate trees. The fog out there can be depressing.

Old 08-28-2014, 05:45 PM

3,244 posts, read 6,298,765 times
Favorite neighborhoods:

Forest Hill- I think this is the nicest part of the city to live in. It has convenient transportation if needed and it isn't too hot or too crowded.

Excelsior & Crocker Amazon - I like the unpretentious energy of these neighborhoods and the many different ethnic restaurants.

Japantown - It has some of the most interesting stores like Nijiya market, Kinokuniya books and Forest books. Also I can practice my Japanese.

Old 08-28-2014, 10:47 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,134,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pietro25 View Post
My favorite is Russian Hill for the views and the beautiful streets, but I wouldn't want to live there because owning a car is too difficult.

I also like the Mission for the Latino culture -- great food, good vibes on the street. The Mission, however, is huge, so when you talk about the Mission you could be talking about many places. My favorite part of the Mission is 24th Street between Mission and Portrero. I like the shops and trees on that street.

I live in Noe Valley, the neighborhood everyone is supposed to love. It's family-friendly. It gets good weather. But 24th Street in my neighborhood is boring.

Glen Park and Bernal Heights (south side) are like little villages. Very cozy and fun to walk around. Good off-the-radar restaurants. But the lots are oddly shaped, the houses are scrunched too close together, and parking can be hard.

A little secret: Mission Terrace. The houses are large (many with alleys in the back), the place is sunny, and you're right next to Balboa Park and near the Balboa BART station. This is an up and coming neighborhood IMHO.

I would not live west of Twin Peaks unless I had a fantastic ocean view. The people out there seem to hate trees. The fog out there can be depressing.
I totally hear you on the car ownership thing in Russian Hill. My apartment building has 83 apartments, but only 10 parking spaces in the basement. There are no public garages left in Russian Hill, either. The last one recently converted to condos that start at $2 million, I think. It is not a car-friendly neighborhood.

Like I mentioned, though, it is a VERY transit-friendly neighborhood. So, I guess it evens out. I have off-street parking and I love it.My car stays parked most weekdays and I take Muni. Weekends, I drive to Wine Country or elsewhere. Best of all worlds.

Old 08-28-2014, 11:20 PM

1,486 posts, read 292,516 times
I love the scenery of Sea Cliff, however it is very expensive. I also like Russian Hill and Golden Gate Park, they're great parts of SF.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland