Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 05:59 PM

2,416 posts, read 2,022,901 times

Advertisements

This morning I was walking around downtown taking care of some errands. A woman stopped me and asked me for directions to her hotel. I wasn't in a hurry and offered to help. We started to chat, she told me that she was originally from the north of Spain, but now lived in Florida. She explained that she'd been attending a conference at the Moscone Center, but that morning had managed to find three hours or so to take a quick tour of the city. I asked her how it was, she looked a little perplexed, and said she had mixed feelings. I thought she was going to say how a few hours on a tour bus was no way to see a city, but she went on to say how disappointed, shocked, she was by the disparity of wealth, the number of disenfranchised etc. If she'd been an American suburbanite who'd never left the burbs (she seemed like a savvy traveler), or had just arrived from some more egalitarian country (than these United States), it would have seemed less poignant. As it was I thought it was telling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2014, 06:19 PM

102,217 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modernist1 View Post
This morning I was walking around downtown taking care of some errands. A woman stopped me and asked me for directions to her hotel. I wasn't in a hurry and offered to help. We started to chat, she told me that she was originally from the north of Spain, but now lived in Florida. She explained that she'd been attending a conference at the Moscone Center, but that morning had managed to find three hours or so to take a quick tour of the city. I asked her how it was, she looked a little perplexed, and said she had mixed feelings. I thought she was going to say how a few hours on a tour bus was no way to see a city, but she went on to say how disappointed, shocked, she was by the disparity of wealth, the number of disenfranchised etc. If she'd been an American suburbanite who'd never left the burbs (she seemed like a savvy traveler), or had just arrived from some more egalitarian country (than these United States), it would have seemed less poignant. As it was I thought it was telling.
How so?

Old 08-28-2014, 06:23 PM

238 posts, read 302,534 times
if she were a savvy traveler then i'm sure she has seen her fair share of the same thing in other cities, no?

Old 08-28-2014, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
How so?
Because here was a woman who had obviously traveled, was hardly parochial (within a few seconds of talking to me she was able to identify me as British, even though I've lived here decades), she's spent time in the US, the gap between rich and poor Stateside wouldn't necessarily come as much of a surprise in itself, and yet, here in San Francisco, will all its proclaimed beauty, the strongest impression was that disparity.

Old 08-28-2014, 06:44 PM

102,217 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by comingbacktocali View Post
if she were a savvy traveler then i'm sure she has seen her fair share of the same thing in other cities, no?
So what are you saying? That because she's from Spain (?!) then SF must be especially bad? Did you think you were telling us something we didn't know?

Still not getting your drift.

Old 08-28-2014, 07:01 PM

It has little to do with her coming from Spain (see my first post) and more to do with someone having different points of reference. The drift is it's a reminder of how bad things are.

Old 08-28-2014, 07:10 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,820,687 times
Quote:
It has little to do with her coming from Spain (see my first post) and more to do with someone having different points of reference. The drift is it's a reminder of how bad things are.
Various liberal policies promote income inequality.

Among the problems with that view, one is particularly surprising: The income gap between rich and poor tends to be wider in blue states than in red states. Our state-by-state analysis finds that the more liberal states whose policies are supposed to promote fairness have a bigger gap between higher and lower incomes than do states that have more conservative, pro-growth policies.
Stephen Moore and Richard Vedder: Liberal Blue States Have Greater Income Inequality than Conservative Red States - WSJ

Plus the opinion of a woman seeing an urban area known to be a destination for the destitute because of the benefits that are provided for three hours is probably not worth much.

Old 08-28-2014, 07:30 PM

21,734 posts, read 16,346,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Our state-by-state analysis finds that the more liberal states whose policies are supposed to promote fairness have a bigger gap between higher and lower incomes than do states that have more conservative, pro-growth policies.
You have me curious. Which "red", pro-growth policy states are economic leaders? (I'm not arguing. I am really just asking. You apparently have looked this up.)

Old 08-28-2014, 07:34 PM

You could argue that the very brevity of her visit and the impressions she came away with might be of significance.
I don't disagree that liberalism often serves the status quo, and changes nothing. The other day talking to an Asian visitor about the plethora of panhandlers in the City, and the apparent tolerance of them, he remarked that San Franciscans were perhaps 'too kind'. That 'kindness' doesn't seem to have done much good. Either, you go all the way (to the Left), and raise local taxes, to create generous shelters, amenities for the homeless, or you take the hard approach (the Right), and discourage people from expecting handouts. The middle way seems the cruelest of all.

Old 08-28-2014, 07:43 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,820,687 times
Quote:
You could argue that the very brevity of her visit and the impressions she came away with might be of significance.
I don't disagree that liberalism often serves the status quo, and changes nothing. The other day talking to an Asian visitor about the plethora of panhandlers in the City, and the apparent tolerance of them, he remarked that San Franciscans were perhaps 'too kind'. That 'kindness' doesn't seem to have done much good. Either, you go all the way (to the Left), and raise local taxes, to create generous shelters, amenities for the homeless, or you take the hard approach (the Right), and discourage people from expecting handouts. The middle way seems the cruelest of all.
If you put out cat food every night you will get cats coming to your house every night until you stop putting out food. People are not any different. We think we are more enlightened than the other creatures that live with us, but at our basic functions we are the same.

It is the whole, give a man/teach a man how to fish thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland