Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 08:14 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,840,052 times

Advertisements

They are low income, they need more than weed can offer them. Unless they sell it, then they wont be low income for long!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2014, 08:17 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post
As far as subsidizing marijuana, I'm not sure. That's a hard question. I voted for proposition 215 but it is not used as I intended. It is used as de facto legalization, when it fact it was intended to be used by, for example, cancer patients. Not someone who has a mild headache today or someone who sprained their ankle. The intent was for people in extreme pain who wanted a legal alternative to things like morphine.

So if the subsidy is used for those people who REALLY need the maijuana, as opposed to people who merely WANT it, then I would be more likely to support it.

btw I have never done any drugs in my life; I don't even drink. So I'm offended by people who misuse Proposition 215. If they gave us a proper legalization measure, the people would vote for it. Last time they tried to do so, they made some mistakes, for example the measure would have made it illegal for employers to require a drug free workplace (they couldn't refuse to hire if you did marijuana).
Just out of curiosity, would YOU vote for full legalization if it were on the ballot again? It's likely to come up on the 2016 ballot, and chances are good it will pass this time - as it was a squeaker the last time, and since then we've had a shift in attitudes (from the conservative types) after seeing CO & WA didn't explode as a result. If you do support recreational legalization, I'm just curious as to why you'd care if Prop 215 is being used to get around prohibition. That seems like irrational thinking to me, but then again, I've been on the pro-legalization side since even before 215 was passed.

For the record, actual "terminal" or serious-illness patients have always been able to obtain free medical marijuana in California. I know (or have known, as the case may be) people who are HIV+ or have cancer, and they just have to apply for government subsidies... they can also attend the "compassion days" which are usually held weekly, where clubs give out free bags to seriously ill patients.

Old 09-15-2014, 08:23 PM

1,105 posts, read 1,786,440 times
Default Just cruising by. Had to stop cause of thread title

My head has officially exploded. I left the great state in the year 2000 and not a year too soon. If I was a slacker, I'd consider Berkley heaven on earth. Will you be providing storage units for housing next? Now I know what my plan "C" will be.

Old 09-15-2014, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXIALE02 View Post
My head has officially exploded. I left the great state in the year 2000 and not a year too soon. If I was a slacker, I'd consider Berkley heaven on earth. Will you be providing storage units for housing next? Now I know what my plan "C" will be.
Most of the "slackers" who benefit from programs like this have terminal or serious illnesses... if they were giving it away to ANYONE who made less than $32K, it would be a free-for-all, and certainly would go over the allotted 2% distribution rate. I've made less than that (during a few years) since I've been a medical patient, and haven't once been a recipient of any free medicine. I probably could have attended some compassion days, but the government-sponsored programs are usually limited to people who truly need it.

Old 09-15-2014, 08:55 PM
zdg

845 posts, read 1,972,223 times
Quote:
Just came back to the Cal forum to remind yourself how much you love where you are now or were you just feeling insecure and wanted to anonymously be a jerk? Either way, kudos.

Old 09-15-2014, 09:00 PM

1,105 posts, read 1,786,440 times
Not being a jerk nor politically correct. Its called freedom of speech or just plain freedom. If I hit a nerve it means we have a debate. Kudos.

Old 09-15-2014, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Not being a jerk nor politically correct. Its called freedom of speech or just plain freedom. If I hit a nerve it means we have a debate. Kudos.
Actually, "freedom of speech" doesn't really apply to a private forum like City-Data... but I don't think anyone is trying to restrict your speech, they were just wondering WHY you felt the need to chime in here. And if you left the area 14 years ago, your perceptions aren't going to be very accurate anyway! A lot has changed in that time, as I know from living here (on & off) since 1983.

Old 09-15-2014, 09:13 PM

14,669 posts, read 14,631,326 times
If mm was covered by Medicare, this wouldn't be necessary.

Old 09-15-2014, 09:14 PM
zdg

Quote:
Uh, no. That is not what that means. And yes, you were trying desperately to be a jerk. You were trying to be arrogant, pompous, and condescending; all in a lame attempt to feel better about being forced out of California in 2000. It's cool; not everyone can afford to live here. It's probably not as satisfying posting in your own forum, so you came over here to try to make yourself feel better. Standard C-D behavior for people who used to live somewhere desirable then either lost their jobs or simply couldn't afford to live there anymore and had to settle for something else.

As soon as you run out of opportunities there, know that you can always move back to my liberal utopia here and, with a smile on my face, my tax dollars can go to pay for your marijuana and storage-shelter. You're welcome.

Old 09-15-2014, 09:24 PM
zdg

Quote:
You moved from California to Las Vegas and came to our forum and talk morality? That's pretty funny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland