Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 10:36 PM

164 posts, read 460,574 times

Advertisements

Hello all , I've searched through many threads but don't seem to be finding the info I'm looking for and I wonder if you guys can help ? What kind of salary /annual family income would be required to live a half decent life in the Bay Area ? Housing needn't be too fancy ? Just a nice three or four bed in nice area/town we have toe daughters, one just started in university and the other in 9th grade so out of state uni fees would need to be factored in my husband is currently working in San Fran temporarily for a few weeks and has completely fallen in love with the area . I myself don't feel we could afford to live there right now , we do have a good income between us and it goes far here in Florida and we are very comfortable . I don't really want to compromise our lifestyle to any huge degree . He does seem to have a bee in his bonnet though about moving and I figured it wouldn't do any harm to do a little researching anyone care to offer some info ? Much obliged
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2014, 11:21 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
It depends where your job is and what you will give up.

Old 09-06-2014, 12:17 AM

833 posts, read 1,199,125 times
Not one of these again.... You really couldn't find a thread on this subject? We only have about 1-2 a week.... Like anywhere else in the U.S. it depends on your lifestyle. I know people with 3 in their home and they get by with 40k after taxes... There are some who get by on less. Use the dang search button.

Your question is very broad and circumstantial.

Old 09-06-2014, 01:03 AM

3,244 posts, read 6,299,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootsfromscotland View Post
Hello all , I've searched through many threads but don't seem to be finding the info I'm looking for and I wonder if you guys can help ? What kind of salary /annual family income would be required to live a half decent life in the Bay Area ? Housing needn't be too fancy ? Just a nice three or four bed in nice area/town )
Here are some housing examples:

A 2 bedroom in an area with excellent schools

example house 1

Here is a 3 br from 1959 in the same excellent school district.

example house 2

Here is a 3 br in Daly City with average schools

example house 3

Here is a 4br in Walnut Creek, a 40 minute commute by train and excellent schools.

example house 4

A half decent family income for the bay area might be defined as $250K since it will let one buy a $750k-1M home(at 3 to 4 times income) in a decent school area. An 800K home here will probably look like a 125K home in Tampa.

Old 09-06-2014, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
Here are some housing examples:

A 2 bedroom in an area with excellent schools

example house 1

Here is a 3 br from 1959 in the same excellent school district.

example house 2

Here is a 3 br in Daly City with average schools

example house 3

Here is a 4br in Walnut Creek, a 40 minute commute by train and excellent schools.

example house 4

A half decent family income for the bay area might be defined as $250K since it will let one buy a $750k-1M home(at 3 to 4 times income) in a decent school area. An 800K home here will probably look like a 125K home in Tampa.
Thankyou for that, very helpful of course I've been looking at house prices/rentals etc and some appear not too excruciatingly expensive but then I have no idea about the actual area ! I have spent the last couple of weeks looking through threads here but really couldn't find a definitive number on "do-able" salary. We are around the $250k mark. Of course I think our house here in Florida and expendable income is far more than what we would have in San Fran and to my reasoning , our quality of life would not be fabulous , however my husband is so blown away with the area and the people there ,he feels quality of life would be greater , simply because of the environment and how it differs to Florida . Individuals have different things that define quality of life though . Seems like we may be finding ourselves having to make a big decision again pretty soon ,here we go again !!

Old 09-06-2014, 10:27 AM

3,244 posts, read 6,299,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootsfromscotland View Post
however my husband is so blown away with the area and the people there ,he feels quality of life would be greater , simply because of the environment and how it differs to Florida . Individuals have different things that define quality of life though .
There is a big difference between visiting an area and actually living in it day to day. Also don't forget about the California income tax, 9.3% in your tax bracket.

Old 09-06-2014, 10:49 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
Traffic can be awful. A place like Walnut Creek is more affordable by Bay Area standards but you are going to rule out all jobs in Silicon Valley and San Jose because best case it would be a 90 minute commute each way.

Job location is critical

Old 09-06-2014, 07:02 PM

238 posts, read 302,534 times
why don't cranky people just refrain from commenting?

Old 09-06-2014, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
There is a big difference between visiting an area and actually living in it day to day. Also don't forget about the California income tax, 9.3% in your tax bracket.
Yep don't I know it !😁 my husband is like an excitable child right now , I'm getting texts ninety to the dozen about how wonderful and beautiful it is there , and of that I have no doubt ! but it's not a great time for us to move considering the stage we are at with my girls education and I do have concerns that it wouldnt be a wise move financially ( no income tax here in Florida is marvelous ! &#128540 alas I am being told a perm job offer for him is in the pipeline . Uh oh !

Old 09-06-2014, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by comingbacktocali View Post
why don't cranky people just refrain from commenting?
I'm with you there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland