Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 05:17 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,013,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
LA is an amazing place, but it's not "somewhere else" to me like SF is. I am from Houston, and LA would certainly be a nice step up from Houston, but would not be totally worth the expense for the upgrade, in my opinion. SF, while even more expensive, is.
I'm from Houston too and though LA was a drastically different city with an out of this world vibe only matched by NYC, but that's cus I never spent more significant time in SF based on what you and a lot of my friends say.

Would you say that SF has that uniqueness about it that distinguishes it from other cities in the country?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2014, 05:27 PM

379 posts, read 785,897 times
I went to college in the LA area and now live in SF. I love how SF is dense, walk-able, has decent public transit, and feels vibrant and buzzing with energy and activity. LA has some great neighborhoods, but overall it was too sprawly for me. I got tired of spending so much time in my car, and I also disliked the smog. I also have a personal preference for SF's weather - I don't like super hot climates. I do appreciate that LA is more affordable, though.

Old 09-14-2014, 05:30 PM

2,209 posts, read 2,318,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
I am curious as to why a lot of my old college mates chose SF over LA, even though they found job offers in both cities. I chose Los Angeles and am loving it, but at the same I am wondering what I missed by not going north.

What is the appeal of San Francisco? What's it like is what I am really asking? For young professionals in their late 20s and 30s? Is it the tech scene? Is it like living in Manhattan or something? The nightlife and the cultural amenities.

I've only visited once and loved the city, but I was a tourist and stayed for the weekend. It's probably the most beautiful city I've ever seen. But besides the aesthetic appeal, what is San Fran like on the ground? I guess I picture tech giants and wannabes making deals, creative innovative people getting their ideas in to the marketplace and venture capitalists galore.
Lol. People getting offended when they think someone is ridiculing the city in which they live. Don't worry. The city will be fine; it has a thick skin; insults don't impact the self-esteem of San Francisco. I doubt the Golden Gate is going to tumble into the pacific because someone questioned the appeal of San Francisco.

Ok.
I actually live in Los Angeles County, but venture to SF as often as I can. The big draw for me is the weather. I love the cool, crisp San Francisco weather, especially during summer when we are baking down here in So. Cal. Nothing better than being in San Francisco in July or August and the temperature being a very comfortable 67 degrees, with a cool breeze blowing and fog inching its way over the City. To me, that's an awesome feeling.

I hate hot weather, and I think So. Cal gets too hot and stays too hot for far too long. Plus, I think San Francisco has nice scenery and nice architecture. Too bad the cost of living there is so high, because a lot of the housing stock is not all that great (considering the prices). But enough people want to live there, so it's obviously worth it to many folks.

Old 09-14-2014, 05:41 PM

One of the biggest appeals was how friendly the people were when I visited. I had forgotten what is was like going into a bar and meeting new people living in LA.

Old 09-14-2014, 05:59 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,137,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
I'm from Houston too and though LA was a drastically different city with an out of this world vibe only matched by NYC, but that's cus I never spent more significant time in SF based on what you and a lot of my friends say.

Would you say that SF has that uniqueness about it that distinguishes it from other cities in the country?
I would, and many would agree while others would disagree. The thing about SF is that it is very content with its identity and doesn't spend any time thinking in terms of "a vibe matched only by NYC". That's a Houston or LA kind of statement.

SF is really a provincial island--for both good and bad. The reason is, it's hard to make it here. You have to really be niched into this lifestyle, professionally, culturally, politically, economically, tolerance for urban living-wise, etc. to love this place. People don't come here as a fall-back, or second choice. They come here because there isn't another place that checks all the same boxes SF does for them.

For instance, I think LA can offer a lifestyle somewhat like you became accustomed to in Houston, but with a lot more style and on a grander scale. That's pretty appealing, for sure. But to really dig San Francisco, I think someone from Houston needs to rearrange his whole value system, or else, as was the case for me, finally be comfortable with his value system.

People don't care about cars here, yet there are people who have super nice ones. You're just as likely, however, to see a CEO in a Prius here. There's an egalitarian aspect of neighborhoods here, geared toward everyone being well-off, with little outward appearance of differences between $1 million condos and $2400/month rentals. They stand side-by-side in my neighborhood.

People still judge one another here. You are judged by how you speak and what you do for a living. Political correctness is apparent, as are environmental concerns and you will be judged for not composting and other things like that.

There is a palpable feeling of love for the City among people who live within the 7x7. People will stare out my window at the fog rolling in over the bay. The Monday morning chatter isn't a "did you have a nice weekend?" quick elevator chat. They want to hear details about what you did, where you ate, etc. and they'll relate stories about the times they've been there and how happy they are for you that you got to do that. People compare wine notes in my office and restaurant tips. Hidden hiking trails they've found are another hot topic.

I love living here--not for the "amazing Manhattan-like vibe" but because it's a place that I can work in a vibrant downtown core, walk home through a vibrant bohemian neighborhood and ethnic enclave, on my way to my dense neighborhood of 45,000 people per square mile, where the streets are always humming with activity outside my door. I can go inside, pack a bottle of wine, and walk about 15 minutes away to a National Park with a view of mountains, the bay and the bridge and have a glass with my wife on the side of a cliff in total seclusion, watching the sun set and listening to fog horns as the fog envelopes the bridge.

I only know of one or two places where the contrast is so drastic, and they aren't half the vibrant, interesting cities that SF is. So yeah, it's a unique place. It commands a big price, but I can afford it and I love it.

If it's not your vibe--if you want NY-or even LA-type living and attitudes, you will scoff at the price you pay to live in SF. It's not for everyone. It's only for people who love its unique sense of place.

Old 09-14-2014, 06:19 PM

What's funny is that I had to change my whole value system to get used to LA too. West LA is where you'd find the typical stereotypes but the rest of LA, heading East and in the Valley, the vibe is way more of what you described minus the pre-judgements about education and manner of speaking.

In Houston, everything is new and shiny, its a newly minted city for young professionals so the lifestyle there is centered on getting the latest and greatest. It's actually more materialistic than LA in my opinion because at least in LA there's a preference for vintage, glamour, style and eclecticism. In Houston it's just straight luxury, fancy new apartments and stuff.

I think with tech trickling down south too, the SF culture has made its way here in areas like Silverlake, Echo Park and downtown LA. When you eliminate Hollywood, LA is very vibrant and energetic and genuine. Of course it still lacks the really highly educated spark and innovation of SF.

Old 09-14-2014, 06:33 PM

Please don't misunderstand-- I didn't mean "manner of speaking" as in accent. I meant whether or not a person is intelligent and articulate.

People also respect a person's education here, but not in a superficial way, as in name-dropping schools. People are genuinely interested in respectful debate and intellectual exchange.

Perhaps "judge" was the wrong word. I do feel that I am constantly evaluated for my worthiness to engage in conversation, though. I actually like it.

I know Houston's vibe and didn't like it at all. What you describe is a "$30,000 millionaire" lifestyle. There's a lot of that in LA, too, but it's more like $55,000 millionaires there. Still, I think people in both cities are very friendly and overall a little more approachable than people in SF. I spend a lot of time in LA and am always pleased with how easy it is to strike up conversations and enjoy myself there--even in West LA. In SF, it's kind of a neighborhood-by-neighborhood thing.

Old 09-14-2014, 06:43 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,164,063 times
Hollywood is one small scene, in a 17million metro. Most of metro LA is very brown, very blue collar, and very laid back. There is literally something for everyone in metro LA. There is a reason LA county has a larger population than the entire bay area.

The bay area is dominated by tech and really does not have something for everyone. There are alternative wierdos all over the bay, but it certainly is not laid back here. People work many hours for high salaries, that do not even comp the high cost of housing.

Old 09-14-2014, 06:52 PM

You won't catch a $45,000 junior account exec here in SF leasing a 3-series BMW and going to "the club" every weekend. That guy has two or three roommates and bikes to work because he loves living in the City. He probably does spend more than he'd like to admit on $7.00 Pliny the Elders and occasionally goes out with friends to expensive dinners at NOPA -- again, on his bike -- but it's because he's in the foodie scene, not the "see-and-be-seen".

He may work in the Financial District, South of Market or Jackson Square area, but he wears jeans and ratty Vans to work. He votes in city elections, has a pot card, and is always able to score a ride to Tahoe on the weekend with somebody.

There are several exceptions, of course. The Marina Bros are the main ones--they ride a Google Bus to work and wear khakis, but you get the idea. Even they aren't into the outward appearance of money--and they really have it.

Conspicuous consumption is simply not a thing in the City. That's more for the guys down the Peninsula, or up in Marin.

Old 09-14-2014, 07:09 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,164,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
You won't catch a $45,000 junior account exec here in SF leasing a 3-series BMW and going to "the club" every weekend. That guy has two or three roommates and bikes to work because he loves living in the City. He probably does spend more than he'd like to admit on $7.00 Pliny the Elders and occasionally goes out with friends to expensive dinners at NOPA -- again, on his bike -- but it's because he's in the foodie scene, not the "see-and-be-seen".

He may work in the Financial District, South of Market or Jackson Square area, but he wears jeans and ratty Vans to work. He votes in city elections, has a pot card, and is always able to score a ride to Tahoe on the weekend with somebody.

There are several exceptions, of course. The Marina Bros are the main ones--they ride a Google Bus to work and wear khakis, but you get the idea. Even they aren't into the outward appearance of money--and they really have it.

Conspicuous consumption is simply not a thing in the City. That's more for the guys down the Peninsula, or up in Marin.
There are tons of phonies in the Sf. They are psuedo liberal transplants, who can't afford to own(but think they are ballers), try to dictate what SF is (while being clueless to the local history), think they are cultured for eating masala/dim sum, and really only value diversity when it is coming from a food truck.

As someone who works for a tech comapny, I can assure you, it is still the same d bag scene. Riding a 3000 dollar bike and dressing like a wanna be skater does not change that.

As for conspicious consumption, google SF's 4 dollar toast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland