Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 01:14 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,113,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
But in general, there's some opinions there as to why people DON'T like SF. And no actually. I wanna leave the US as a whole if possible. If not, I'll make my way to Chicago. But that's not the point of this thread. I'm simply giving the OP of this thread another thread to reference. Leave it to the San Franciscan to belittle another human. Oh wait, I forgot LA is the city full of snooty pretentious people. SF doesn't have any of that!
Oh Christ--I just skimmed the post you referenced and realized that you're the Soda Popinski's guy. Never mind...

So, when you said you were moving in May, it was to LOUISVILLE?!?! How's that working out for you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2014, 01:22 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,273,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
Oh Christ--I just skimmed the post you referenced and realized that you're the Soda Popinski's guy. Never mind...

So, when you said you were moving in May, it was to LOUISVILLE?!?! How's that working out for you?
Yes actually. For law school. It's been nice being around people who don't have their heads up their a$$. They're way friendlier, more down to earth, more open, and more fun than most people I met in SF. They don't have anything to prove and don't constantly tell me that this is the best place on earth. It's liberal, but not over the top, not full of drug addicts, not full of socially awkward techies, and the hipster scene isn't out of control--it's just helped make some really cool neighborhoods, not overtake an entire city and make it a city of weirdos.

Idk what your point is of all this. I simply posted that page as something else for the OP to read, not so that you could argue with me some more and further prove the point of SF's inferiority complex. Immediately, because I wasn't living SF, you attempted to belittle me. And you may not have said anything negative about LA right there, but you have and other posters in this thread have.

Old 09-30-2014, 06:02 AM

6,879 posts, read 8,196,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A.-Mex View Post
really?

70 F water starts in late june to mid sep, but can start as early as late may, and end as late as early october (like this year). Im sure you wouldnt complain swimming in 75 F ocean, would you? if you wouldnt then you wouldnt of minded swimming here in periods in July, most of August, and a part of September.

Water of Santa Monica is 70s regularly. 70 F water is waarm to everybody used to swimming in the west coast of the US.
We were surfing without wetsuits as early as mid-May in Oceanside(North County-San Diego) this year.

We always needed a wetsuit every time this year in Pacifica(NorCal).

The waters south of Malibu have been warmer than usual this summer. But when it's a normal year, you don't need a wetsuit for about 2-3 months in SoCal.

Very true - "70 F water is warm to everybody used to swimming in the west coast of the US." California folks who use the water often (surfers, wind-surfers, swimmers etc.) are acclimatized to California's cooler waters in general.

People who only go in the water when it's very warm like in Mexico, Hawaii, Florida, East Coast in the summer, have a hard time enjoying are water.

They don't get that Southern Californias surf/swim year round because the weather is so nice most of the time and all it takes is a wetsuit to enjoy it even more for even longer.

Old 09-30-2014, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Yes actually. For law school. It's been nice being around people who don't have their heads up their a$$. They're way friendlier, more down to earth, more open, and more fun than most people I met in SF. They don't have anything to prove and don't constantly tell me that this is the best place on earth. It's liberal, but not over the top, not full of drug addicts, not full of socially awkward techies, and the hipster scene isn't out of control--it's just helped make some really cool neighborhoods, not overtake an entire city and make it a city of weirdos.

Idk what your point is of all this. I simply posted that page as something else for the OP to read, not so that you could argue with me some more and further prove the point of SF's inferiority complex. Immediately, because I wasn't living SF, you attempted to belittle me. And you may not have said anything negative about LA right there, but you have and other posters in this thread have.
Easy, Slugger. I wasn't attempting to belittle you because you don't live in SF. You went big on that troll thread about Electronic Dance Music and how you judge a city's livability by the music DJs play. You even defended this position, when I questioned it. I think it's an odd metric, but okay... So now you're in Louisville--how's the EDM scene there? You sure talked a lot of **** about people with "small-town mentalities" not knowing about "world cities". How's Louisville measuring up?

Look, you have made it clear that when people love where they live and you don't share their view, you deem that an "inferiority complex". I don't think you were the type who gets San Francisco. That's cool--it's not for everyone. But, because you don't like it, people who do have some kind of problem? When pressed for specifics, you bring up things like what the DJs play in clubs as your measure of a place to live? What's up with that?

And what have I ever said negative about LA? Even in the troll post, I had to reiterate to you a few times how much I like LA, as you were telling the same sob story there about how many people talk it down. There's your inferiority complex.

You seem like a nice, respectful person who really gravitates toward more homogenous environments of civility as the measure of whether or not you like a place (hence your comments about Louisville). That's great! It sounds like it's a better place for you.

SF is eclectic. You try to paint it as one thing (while at the same time, listing lots of different groups you didn't fit in) and give up, saying SF is a "city of weirdos". You post a lot about not fitting in (you were "too gay" to feel comfortable in straight SF and not gay enough for Gay SF/ you wanted urban nightlife, but didn't seem to like urban living/ you hated the fog, but lived in The Richmond/ you broadly label people as "hipsters, druggies, techies," etc., then brush the entire city off as "weirdos". San Franciscans are exactly the kind of people who embrace such a distinction. That's what I mean when I say that you don't seem like someone who gets SF.

People don't have to find a niche or clique here. We are all crammed together into a small space, so we all mix together. San Franciscans like that. To us, it makes this city the best place on earth. You see that as some kind of "inferiority complex". It's just not that easy, though. This isn't a homogenous place, nor does it have large areas of homogeneity (as in cities with larger land area).

The only common bond in SF these days is how much money it takes to live here. That's certainly a detriment and explains why a student wouldn't get SF. If you were more the type not to focus so much on finding a niche, you might have appreciated what SF was about.

Old 09-30-2014, 08:51 AM

372 posts, read 511,893 times
A future lawyer complaining about techies, that's hilarious. As if blood sucking lawyers are adding so much value and culture to our society...

Old 09-30-2014, 09:30 AM

6,404 posts, read 8,237,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
We were surfing without wetsuits as early as mid-May in Oceanside(North County-San Diego) this year.

We always needed a wetsuit every time this year in Pacifica(NorCal).

The waters south of Malibu have been warmer than usual this summer. But when it's a normal year, you don't need a wetsuit for about 2-3 months in SoCal.

Very true - "70 F water is warm to everybody used to swimming in the west coast of the US." California folks who use the water often (surfers, wind-surfers, swimmers etc.) are acclimatized to California's cooler waters in general.

People who only go in the water when it's very warm like in Mexico, Hawaii, Florida, East Coast in the summer, have a hard time enjoying are water.

They don't get that Southern Californias surf/swim year round because the weather is so nice most of the time and all it takes is a wetsuit to enjoy it even more for even longer.
I actually have a wetsuit and make pretty good use of CA's beaches. But yes, when you grow up on the east coast and are used to warm water and more placid, predictable surf, CA's waters are freezing cold and much more dangerous (coral, rocks, riptides, bigger waves, ext). I just think it's dumb to insinuate that 70 degree water temps are anything like swimming in tropical waters other people prefer. 70 is still pretty cold unless you just don't know any better.

Old 09-30-2014, 10:29 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,273,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
Easy, Slugger. I wasn't attempting to belittle you because you don't live in SF. You went big on that troll thread about Electronic Dance Music and how you judge a city's livability by the music DJs play. You even defended this position, when I questioned it. I think it's an odd metric, but okay... So now you're in Louisville--how's the EDM scene there? You sure talked a lot of **** about people with "small-town mentalities" not knowing about "world cities". How's Louisville measuring up?

Look, you have made it clear that when people love where they live and you don't share their view, you deem that an "inferiority complex". I don't think you were the type who gets San Francisco. That's cool--it's not for everyone. But, because you don't like it, people who do have some kind of problem? When pressed for specifics, you bring up things like what the DJs play in clubs as your measure of a place to live? What's up with that?

And what have I ever said negative about LA? Even in the troll post, I had to reiterate to you a few times how much I like LA, as you were telling the same sob story there about how many people talk it down. There's your inferiority complex.

You seem like a nice, respectful person who really gravitates toward more homogenous environments of civility as the measure of whether or not you like a place (hence your comments about Louisville). That's great! It sounds like it's a better place for you.

SF is eclectic. You try to paint it as one thing (while at the same time, listing lots of different groups you didn't fit in) and give up, saying SF is a "city of weirdos". You post a lot about not fitting in (you were "too gay" to feel comfortable in straight SF and not gay enough for Gay SF/ you wanted urban nightlife, but didn't seem to like urban living/ you hated the fog, but lived in The Richmond/ you broadly label people as "hipsters, druggies, techies," etc., then brush the entire city off as "weirdos". San Franciscans are exactly the kind of people who embrace such a distinction. That's what I mean when I say that you don't seem like someone who gets SF.

People don't have to find a niche or clique here. We are all crammed together into a small space, so we all mix together. San Franciscans like that. To us, it makes this city the best place on earth. You see that as some kind of "inferiority complex". It's just not that easy, though. This isn't a homogenous place, nor does it have large areas of homogeneity (as in cities with larger land area).

The only common bond in SF these days is how much money it takes to live here. That's certainly a detriment and explains why a student wouldn't get SF. If you were more the type not to focus so much on finding a niche, you might have appreciated what SF was about.
I never said Louisville was perfect. I'm here temporarily. Combination of family, school, and cost of living. It's actually not too much smaller than SF.

I would never live in places like Alabama or Oklahoma or Houston etc., but people that tell me they love living there don't have the sam way of telling me. They say they love it because of "x" or because it's their home and they feel comfortable there. If that's so, great! I'm glad you found a place you love. When someone tells me why they love living in SF, it often includes some/much bad-mouthing of many other cities and explaining why I'm wrong for not agreeing with them.

Actually, having all white friends here has been a culture shock for me. I don't plan on staying here long-term, I'm just saying it does have its positives. Like I said, I'm hopefully moving to Chicago if I stay in the U.S. That is definitely not homogeneous and I love it for that.

I actually love urban cities, hence why Madrid, one of the most urban and densest cities in the world, more so than any U.S. cities, is my favorite city in the world. But SF is urbanity is not true urban living. I lived in the Richmond because the rest of the city is insanely overpriced. The hipsters, druggies, and techies are all, in fact, weird.

I never needed to find a niche, I simply wanted to find some down to earth, fun, friendly, non-drugged out friends. That's an easy task in most other cities, but not so in SF.

Old 09-30-2014, 12:25 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,411,177 times
Quote:
Immediately, because I wasn't living SF, you attempted to belittle me.
If you have not noticed that is the typical behavior from this poster.

Just consider the source and don't waste your time playing his game.

And yes you are correct about your observations of SF

Old 09-30-2014, 01:13 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,092,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
If you have not noticed that is the typical behavior from this poster.

Just consider the source and don't waste your time playing his game.

And yes you are correct about your observations of SF
That, and he isn't even an SF native. I think I recall seeing somewhere that he's only even been here for 2 years or so. Lol. So don't let him fool ya into thinking he speaks for the city.

I was born and raised in SF, and I personally find a lot of your SF observations on point. Now that I'm 23, done with college, and have professional experience to jumpstart my career elsewhere, hubby and I are just waiting till we save up enough to buy a house outside of CA.

Old 09-30-2014, 01:22 PM

Quote:
I never said Louisville was perfect. I'm here temporarily. Combination of family, school, and cost of living. It's actually not too much smaller than SF.

I would never live in places like Alabama or Oklahoma or Houston etc., but people that tell me they love living there don't have the sam way of telling me. They say they love it because of "x" or because it's their home and they feel comfortable there. If that's so, great! I'm glad you found a place you love. When someone tells me why they love living in SF, it often includes some/much bad-mouthing of many other cities and explaining why I'm wrong for not agreeing with them.

Actually, having all white friends here has been a culture shock for me. I don't plan on staying here long-term, I'm just saying it does have its positives. Like I said, I'm hopefully moving to Chicago if I stay in the U.S. That is definitely not homogeneous and I love it for that.

I actually love urban cities, hence why Madrid, one of the most urban and densest cities in the world, more so than any U.S. cities, is my favorite city in the world. But SF is urbanity is not true urban living. I lived in the Richmond because the rest of the city is insanely overpriced. The hipsters, druggies, and techies are all, in fact, weird.

I never needed to find a niche, I simply wanted to find some down to earth, fun, friendly, non-drugged out friends. That's an easy task in most other cities, but not so in SF.
Well, you seem to place a lot of your personal happiness on the shoulders (literally) of what other people are wearing, what you assume they are thinking, and what their impressions of you and your city are (while at the same time lambasting them for their impression of SF). For instance, you describe the 2am last call in SF and LA as "embarrassing". Why would that embarrass you? Why would you care what someone thought of your city's last call?

It's perfectly reasonable to be disappointed in it, or to find it incompatible with your lifestyle. But, that's not how you see things. You see things at a superficial level (throwing out shortcut labels for people, complaining about what other people wear, complaining about what DJs play) and through the eyes of others (thinking the local alcohol law is "embarrassing" rather than addressing how it affects you personally).

I have many fun, friendly, non-drugged-out friends in SF. Meeting them has been easy for me. Maybe SF isn't the problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland