Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 08:24 PM

6,404 posts, read 8,238,758 times

Advertisements

OMG you are such a poser, Jade! Quit trying to show off with your ritzy $4 toasts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2014, 08:24 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,741,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
So what? Judging someone by how they speak is the ultimate in snobbiness. Why would you that? The smartest guy I know grew up in third ward and still talks "trill" when he's around friends. I wouldn't judge him for that.
"Speaking well" doesn't mean never using slang. Savvy people understand there is a time and place for every speaking style and differentiate based on the audience and occasion.

Old 09-14-2014, 08:26 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,113,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
LOL nice try, dal.

I could tell from post numbers 1 and 2 what the OP is about. Like I said, she's better off in LA.

And there's nothing wrong with that.
Exactly. Nothing wrong with that at all. It is different there and I prefer SF. Many millions prefer LA. So what?

I wonder if the OP asked the question hoping to hear it was exactly the same up here?

Old 09-14-2014, 08:29 PM

She strikes me as the type of person that would go up to another female and ask her why she went with the Prada bag instead of the Kate Spade at a party in front of all her friends.

Old 09-14-2014, 08:29 PM

10,097 posts, read 9,952,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
Nice try, but it's not the terminology, but the attitude I was addressing. There is not a "baller" attitude here in SF. I believe there is in parts of the Bay Area, but in SF, consumption is much less conspicuous. Is the OP in "the industry" and addressing an "industry" audience? No. Therefor, it comes off as pretentious.

Look, I know you have some kind of personal problem with me. I'm not sure why and I don't care. But your baseless contrarian posts in my direction just for the sake of being argumentative are silly. You are the one who stated that LA is a "d-bag scene" with your toast comment (saying it's 'the same' in SF) when I said I always encounter nice people in LA.
People don't call the entertainment biz the industry to only those people in the biz. They call it that to anyone. I had no idea it was pretentious to do so.

What attitude? You're really reading way too much into my posts. You're not even from SF. If I were to judge you, you'd seem like the typical transplant who took their emotional baggage out West and thinks that acting SF means you have to access people by what they say and how they say it.

Old 09-14-2014, 08:30 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,741,222 times
Quote:
OMG you are such a poser, Jade! Quit trying to show off with your ritzy $4 toasts.
Some people think it is ridiculous. As someone who doesn't eat much bread (rice is my starch of choice), and who has wasted many loaves of bread, i figured out it is cheaper for me to just not buy it for home use.

I live alone, you need to shop strategically. Especially if you get sick of stuff easily. Sometimes that $4 toast is actually reasonably well priced. Usually the $4 toast uses bread that costs $4-5 a loaf/levain/whatever. If i buy that $4 loaf, and throw away 75% because it went stale, i lose.

Not all $4 toast is worth the price though. You need to investigate the ingredients.

One problem I have with the bay is the obsession about local stuff. I like local stuff but sometimes they use it as an excuse to charge you extra for mediocre food.

Old 09-14-2014, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
Exactly. Nothing wrong with that at all. It is different there and I prefer SF. Many millions prefer LA. So what?

I wonder if the OP asked the question hoping to hear it was exactly the same up here?
Translation: Yeah nothing wrong with it, its vapid and utterly pretentious but eh different strokes for different folks. I won't judge but I will mention that SF wouldn't be suited for him because we just think so differently here (and better). But hey, nothing wrong with that!

Old 09-14-2014, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Some people think it is ridiculous. As someone who doesn't eat much bread (rice is my starch of choice), and who has wasted many loaves of bread, i figured out it is cheaper for me to just not buy it for home use.

I live alone, you need to shop strategically. Especially if you get sick of stuff easily. Sometimes that $4 toast is actually reasonably well priced. Usually the $4 toast uses bread that costs $4-5 a loaf/levain/whatever. If i buy that $4 loaf, and throw away 75% because it went stale, i lose.

Not all $4 toast is worth the price though. You need to investigate the ingredients.

One problem I have with the bay is the obsession about local stuff. I like local stuff but sometimes they use it as an excuse to charge you extra for mediocre food.

I don't think it's any more ridiculous than a $5 latte or an $11 pint of beer. We pay for what we like. If that's what you want to pay for, go for it. But I seriously doubt people who buy these things sit around and hope people notice. Kinda different than spending $80 on a cotton t shirt, but hey, that's just my opinion.

Quote:
She strikes me as the type of person that would go up to another female and ask her why she went with the Prada bag instead of the Kate Spade at a party in front of all her friends.
Lol. Do you have a problem with women? I'm a guy.

3,530 posts, read 5,113,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I bought $4 toast last week, on fancy bread with half an avocado and ricotta cheese. It is actually cheaper/less wasteful for me to buy $4 toast the 1-3 times a month i want toast than to buy my own ingredients where 50% would go stale before i ate it.
You know, now that I think about it, I may have gotten "crab toast" once at Park Tavern. I enjoyed every baller bite. My only regret was that no one was around to see me order it. Missed my conspicuous consumption moment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland