Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2014, 08:34 AM

14,673 posts, read 14,635,860 times

Advertisements

Great win by StL last night. Three more just like that and we'll enjoy a repeat of 1985.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2014, 09:01 AM

4,576 posts, read 9,160,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Great win by StL last night. Three more just like that and we'll enjoy a repeat of 1985.
If A's fans payed as much attention to their own team as they do the giants, they might be able sell out once in a while.

Ahhh who are we kidding, A's will never sell out unless Sf, nyc, or boston is in town.

Old 10-13-2014, 02:55 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,686,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
And they can win the NLCS at home now if the sweep it.

Old 10-13-2014, 07:22 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,133,609 times
I'm a Giants fan who also honestly roots for the A's. I just don't care much for the American League game, so I don't get as involved. But, as a baseball fan, I like their style of play and I admire what they have accomplished (before that bonehead trade, anyway).

I know that some of the hatred for the Giants comes from the San Jose territorial rights fiasco, which is justified by A's fans to a large extent, I'll admit. But to this baseball fan, you guys go too far. Objectively, the Giants are a first-class organization that, since gelling the team around a superb manager and front office team, have been consistent leaders in their league, playing well above their station. How can an honest baseball fan whose team doesn't compete head-to head in their division deny that?

I hope this trade and late-season crumble didn't cost the A's the support they need to build a new ballpark near or in downtown Oakland where it belongs. the A's fans deserve it. Oakland needs it.

If you can learn anything from SF, learn this off-the-field lesson: baseball belongs in the city (or in this case, "the Town"), not in the suburbs (SJ). For NFL, that's fine, but baseball plays almost every day and fans need easy access. Cities can benefit from baseball parks--just look at SF's.

A small observation from a Giants fan who is pulling for the A's to succeed in Oakland.

Old 10-14-2014, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
If A's fans payed as much attention to their own team as they do the giants, they might be able sell out once in a while.

Ahhh who are we kidding, A's will never sell out unless Sf, nyc, or boston is in town.
That's funny...who was the first to mention the A's in this thread? Wasn't any A's fan.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to a repeat of the I-70 series, with a similar outcome (other than the blown call).

Old 10-14-2014, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
A small observation from a Giants fan who is pulling for the A's to succeed in Oakland.
It's been discussed at length on this forum, but the main impediment working against a downtown ballpark at this point (besides the land to put it on) is the fact Wolff essentially has the Coliseum site for free to build on. That cuts a very large piece of debt out of the equation before anything else is even considered for a new park in the city. It sucks, because it takes the casual "hey let's walk to the game" after-work crowd out of the equation, but I also can't blame him too much, since he'd likely be paying for the thing himself.

Old 10-14-2014, 07:54 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
My thoughts and none of you really care of feel sorry for me: 1-our oldest daughter was almost born at a Dodger game the first year they won the World series in L.A. We had to live 5 years, mid to late 60s in the bay area, defending our dear Dodgers, we now live 5 hours from St. Louis and less than 3 from KC. I guess you know we are not routing for the Giants. Add to all this, our son, many years ago played minor league ball on the same team as Berry Bonds (again many years ago) and said he was an A##, that didn't make us any more in love with your Giants. I know, those are the days of the past, I still remember those days and will be routing for the Cards tonight.

I will have to say, the Giants never really played horrible this season, they had a couple of losing streaks like more teams do.

Old 10-14-2014, 08:48 AM

6,416 posts, read 8,275,007 times
Quote:
I'm a Giants fan who also honestly roots for the A's. I just don't care much for the American League game, so I don't get as involved. But, as a baseball fan, I like their style of play and I admire what they have accomplished (before that bonehead trade, anyway).

I know that some of the hatred for the Giants comes from the San Jose territorial rights fiasco, which is justified by A's fans to a large extent, I'll admit. But to this baseball fan, you guys go too far. Objectively, the Giants are a first-class organization that, since gelling the team around a superb manager and front office team, have been consistent leaders in their league, playing well above their station. How can an honest baseball fan whose team doesn't compete head-to head in their division deny that?

I hope this trade and late-season crumble didn't cost the A's the support they need to build a new ballpark near or in downtown Oakland where it belongs. the A's fans deserve it. Oakland needs it.

If you can learn anything from SF, learn this off-the-field lesson: baseball belongs in the city (or in this case, "the Town"), not in the suburbs (SJ). For NFL, that's fine, but baseball plays almost every day and fans need easy access. Cities can benefit from baseball parks--just look at SF's.

That's my primary reason for disliking the Giants. They were thisclose to moving to Miami and the A's gave up territorial rights to the South Bay in an effort to keep two teams in the Bay Area. The other thing that annoys me about Giants fans is that many of them tend to look down on the A's as this terrible franchise without any history of success. In reality, the A's have been the better franchise over the years (4 WS titles since moving to Oakland, 9 total, and 16 AL West titles- DOUBLE what SF has won in their division), while the Giants have been better recently. Comments like the ones found earlier in the thread are exactly what I'm talking about.

I think titles speak for themselves, and 2 titles and 3 NLCS appearances in the last five years is certainly enviable, but the A's don't need any pity from the Giants fan base, nor do we really want bandwagon Giants fan hopping on in the middle of the season when the Giants suck, and then hopping off whenever the Giants get hot in the playoffs. The Bay Area is the only market in the country that I'm aware of where people will root simultaneously for both teams and I think it's dumb, but whatever. I didn't grow up here. We have a dumpy old stadium and a terrible owner, but in my eyes the A's have more knowledgeable fans than the cheese and wine crowd at AT&T where everyone is too busy on their iPads. Just my $.02

Old 10-14-2014, 01:32 PM

290 posts, read 288,509 times
Quote:

As an A's fan, I appreciate the positive things you said about the A's. And as someone who wants to see the Giants do well this postseason and both teams succeed in the coming years, your ecumenical sentiments regarding Bay Area baseball are welcome.

My only quibble is with your comment that the Giants are "playing well above their station." One could argue that a team with the sixth-highest payroll in MLB SHOULD be in the playoffs consistently. That said, getting to the WS for the third time in five years would be a great accomplishment and might even be considered as overachieving, given that only two of the five teams above them in payroll even made the playoffs and neither of them are still around.

Old 10-14-2014, 06:55 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,133,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
That's my primary reason for disliking the Giants. They were thisclose to moving to Miami and the A's gave up territorial rights to the South Bay in an effort to keep two teams in the Bay Area. The other thing that annoys me about Giants fans is that many of them tend to look down on the A's as this terrible franchise without any history of success. In reality, the A's have been the better franchise over the years (4 WS titles since moving to Oakland, 9 total, and 16 AL West titles- DOUBLE what SF has won in their division), while the Giants have been better recently. Comments like the ones found earlier in the thread are exactly what I'm talking about.

I think titles speak for themselves, and 2 titles and 3 NLCS appearances in the last five years is certainly enviable, but the A's don't need any pity from the Giants fan base, nor do we really want bandwagon Giants fan hopping on in the middle of the season when the Giants suck, and then hopping off whenever the Giants get hot in the playoffs. The Bay Area is the only market in the country that I'm aware of where people will root simultaneously for both teams and I think it's dumb, but whatever. I didn't grow up here. We have a dumpy old stadium and a terrible owner, but in my eyes the A's have more knowledgeable fans than the cheese and wine crowd at AT&T where everyone is too busy on their iPads. Just my $.02
I keep an eye on the A's because I still have a little place in my heart for the Astros, who play in their division, I am not a huge fan. I do get tickets from time to time and enjoy baseball in general, so I catch a game when I can. I enjoy their scrappy style and love the core fans' enthusiasm.

I never "hop off" the Giants' bandwagon, though. Our two teams don't play one another often, so I like to root for the Bay Area's team in the AL when they are playing anyone besides the Giants or Astros. I know, that's a sign of apathy, which is a fairly accurate description of my feelings about AL baseball.

I like to get a Lil' Sumpin' and a Sheboygan Brat at AT&T. Does that get me any cred?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland