Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 01:46 AM

77 posts, read 117,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post

In all honesty, there's nothing wrong with either one of those nicknames, but for me it's like fingernails on a chalkboard. I realize my response isn't logical; it's more of a visceral reaction.
Yep. There is no logical explanation. We just hate it. Seriously.

I notice "San Fran" being used with the younger generation and recent transplants. "Frisco" is super old fashioned and the worst one of all. (Again I can't explain why. It just feels wrong in my bones.) "Cali" is ok because it reminds me of LL Cool J In fact one of the owners of my local 7-11 had a shirt that said "Keep Calm and Cali On." I thought it was cute!

Just try not to say Frisco to me if you can help it. I'll bite my tongue on most of the nicknames, but if I hear Frisco from the same person multiple times I will (nicely) tell them I really hate that name. I wouldn't give them actual attitude about it though. It's their voice, their freedom of expression, they can say whatever the heck they want. But by the same token I'm allowed to say it sounds lame.

Just out of curiosity, muffincake, how did you get chastised over it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2014, 02:14 AM

14,520 posts, read 8,766,281 times
Quote:
Life is full of petty annoyances and we all learn to cope.

Most people know that CA is an abbreviation for California, not Canada. Most people also know that when you say "L.A.", you mean Los Angeles, not Louisiana.
I think I've seen it in urls, such as Yahoo.com.ca or Hotmail.com.ca ( Or maybe without the .com in there.) And Yahoo & Hotmail are just examples. I'm speaking of large businesses which have divisions in both Canada and the US.

Old 10-08-2014, 02:06 PM

881 posts, read 1,815,031 times
CA is the International Standards Organization (ISO) 2 letter country code abbreviation for Canada. CAN is the ISO 3 letter country code abbreviation.

CN is the ISO code for China.

.ca is the country code top-level domain for Canada.

Most people in the USA thinks CA stands for California. It's not true for the rest of the world, especially if you are dealing with global business transactions and have to travel a lot.

Old 10-08-2014, 02:57 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,766,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnomatic View Post
CA is the International Standards Organization (ISO) 2 letter country code abbreviation for Canada. CAN is the ISO 3 letter country code abbreviation.

CN is the ISO code for China.

.ca is the country code top-level domain for Canada.

Most people in the USA thinks CA stands for California. It's not true for the rest of the world, especially if you are dealing with global business transactions and have to travel a lot.
Thanks for giving a more cohesive explanation of the meaning of CA.

Old 10-08-2014, 03:02 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,454,406 times
It's no coincidence that "Cali" and "San Fran" (or "SF") have increased with the popularity of the internet, simply because they're faster to type and more intuitive to use, as also noted previously by others.

So really the only folks who seem to get their knickers in a twist, are just a few self-styled "natives", who feel entitled to censor how other folks talk, especially if it's about "their home"! BTW, another pet peeve of the self-appointed "language police", is anyone who says "the Sierras" (a previous thread about that one went on for several pages…lol)!

Which means that in a way, it's just a sort of 'territorial imperative', perpetuated by a few annoying anal-retentives… kinda the same way an obnoxious neighborhood mutt will 'anoint' your yard to 'mark its turf'.

“Language evolves and moves on. It is an organic thing. It is not stuck in an ivory tower." – E.L. James

Old 10-08-2014, 06:49 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,134,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ServoMiff View Post
When referencing San Francisco, I just say "the city" to anyone from the area - if talking to outsiders, I just say San Francisco. I'm relatively new to the area though.
I've found that "the City" is recognized to mean "San Francisco" for about a 250 mile radius with no context needed.

Old 10-08-2014, 08:45 PM

306 posts, read 701,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
I've found that "the City" is recognized to mean "San Francisco" for about a 250 mile radius with no context needed.
I think it's weird when people in places like Sacramento refer to San Francisco as "the city." Sacramento is a city too. Using the term "the city" to me feels like a country bumpkin thing to say, like it's just a reference to the novelty of being in an urban area. Talk about nails on a chalkboard.

Old 10-08-2014, 08:56 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,384,877 times
Quote:
If you want to immediately be known as a newcomer or nonresident, please continue to use "Cali" and "San Fran". The locals never use these terms, and to us they sound "pretentious and douchey".

In all honesty, there's nothing wrong with either one of those nicknames, but for me it's like fingernails on a chalkboard. I realize my response isn't logical; it's more of a visceral reaction.
I've heard New Yorkers don't care for the name "Big Apple".

Old 10-08-2014, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
There's nothing wrong with it. Using it just lets folks know that you are new to the area.

As for folks getting their panties in a knot over it, you would get that in every big city, if you perpetually called it by a term no one used. If I tried to call Portland "Port-town", locals would laugh. Call St. Louis "Louie" or New York "Yorkie". You'd get the exact same reaction from the locals. So I don't buy the "elitist" nonsense.
^^^Exactly!

Old 10-08-2014, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffincake View Post
CA is an abbreviation for Canada sometimes, like USA.

People shortening California to Cali is deciding your nickname? I bet your name is Michael and you get fuming mad if someone calls you Mike. How dare they!
Ca. is Canada. CA is California
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland