Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 08:14 AM

2 posts, read 10,052 times

Advertisements

I'll be relocating to the Bay Area for a new job in downtown Oakland (Lake Merritt area). I am considering looking for a place in Alameda but would prefer taking transit into work instead of driving. My question is what the city buses are like? Are they safe? Reliable?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2007, 11:56 AM

325 posts, read 787,441 times
I don't know too much about the East Bay buses, but this website, transit.511.org, is great for schedules, planning trips.

Old 12-30-2007, 12:11 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,143,792 times
There's plenty of service, that's for sure. But Oakland is a dangerous town, and other than the transbay expresses, I wouldn't want to be on their bus system.

Old 01-03-2008, 02:53 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
There's plenty of service, that's for sure. But Oakland is a dangerous town, and other than the transbay expresses, I wouldn't want to be on their bus system.
AC Transit is the most comprehensive bus system in the Bay Area outside of SF proper and covers not just Oakland but much of the East Bay. Please dont allow the obvious ignorance of the post above to deter you from taking advantage of an otherwise excellent system.

Old 01-08-2008, 12:03 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,143,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
AC Transit is the most comprehensive bus system in the Bay Area outside of SF proper and covers not just Oakland but much of the East Bay. Please dont allow the obvious ignorance of the post above to deter you from taking advantage of an otherwise excellent system.
AC Transit isn't the problem - I should have been more precise. The problem is that the main way out of Alameda is into West Oakland. I've actually looked into living there myself, at a place fairly close to San Pablo & Market. Even though the place had gated parking and was built like a fortress, I still felt nervous because there were drugs being sold at the school right across the street when I visited, and cars were streaming in and out of the back parking lot.. and Fruitvale isn't much better.

Old 01-08-2008, 12:26 AM

323 posts, read 1,425,458 times
Quote:
AC Transit isn't the problem - I should have been more precise. The problem is that the main way out of Alameda is into West Oakland. I've actually looked into living there myself, at a place fairly close to San Pablo & Market. Even though the place had gated parking and was built like a fortress, I still felt nervous because there were drugs being sold at the school right across the street when I visited, and cars were streaming in and out of the back parking lot.. and Fruitvale isn't much better.
So how does what happens in West Oakland reflect upon Alameda or AC Transit?

Old 01-09-2008, 11:25 AM

26 posts, read 70,178 times
Don't believe the hype about Oakland. I have lived here for over 10 years and have hardly even seen any crime. Its not the prettiest of cities with its graffiti and litter. If you have lived in a large city before and are accustomed to taking the usual precautions that big-city life requires you probably won't be phased. If you have not spent much time in such a place you may require some adjustment period. If you want to live closer to work, consider the Piedmont Avenue area of Oakland.

Old 01-09-2008, 11:36 AM

Quote:
You might consider North Oakland and the Piedmont Avenue area. It's close to BART, freeways and Piedmont Avenue and definitely less crime than the above-mentioned areas. A 1 BR 1 BA apt can be had for $1000-1200 per month.

Old 01-09-2008, 11:38 AM

Quote:
The problem is that the main way out of Alameda is into West Oakland.
Actually, the buses that run through the tube come out in Chinatown and then will generally proceed through Downtown.

Old 01-15-2008, 08:49 PM

8 posts, read 26,637 times
Default AC Travels

AC Transit will get you anywhere in the Bay Area. The bus's themselves are safe, it's where you may decide to get off the bus that poses the safety question. But if you are using the bus for commuting to work and home in those hours you'll be fine. I was born and raised in Alameda and rode the bus thru Oakland to Berkeley for 4 years. I now sell real estate with my wife in town. If you have any other questions about the city I can answer them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland