Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 06:40 PM

123 posts, read 865,865 times

Advertisements

Ok I've finally figured out how to phrase this question that I need to ask... as a single renter in SF, in your opinion how much money would I need per month to live there comfortably?

By comfortable I mean having a decent (even cramped) apartment in a fairly safe neighborhood, be able to afford daily meals--(or not starve), normal leisurely shopping and still enjoy myself at events around town?

Second question: Should I expect that monthly income from an average job in SF? or is that difficult to obtain? (I hear alot of people saying it's too expensive... do the job salaries not match the cost of living?)

If I go there with an open mind ready and willing to take even the crappiest job or a waitress or whatever, will I b e homeless?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2007, 10:38 PM

19 posts, read 112,309 times
Wink I'm in the same boat!

I'm in the same boat!

Going homeless?! I do not believe that, from what I have heard there are plenty of "Wanted" signs around; you will probably have to take several jobs, but I do not think you will go homeless unless you choose it.

Yes, some salaries do match the cost of living, at least in my area, "computer network engineer". In my case the base salary here where I live is around 40k, there in SF is 60k.

Please look at the "Moving / Relocation Calculator".
http://swz.salary.com/CostOfLivingWi...02.html#moving

Good luck.
Joseph

Old 08-19-2007, 11:01 PM

123 posts, read 865,865 times
Hey ! Thanks for that. I think we are in the same boat too. I keep hearing people say that SF is a very expensive place to live but they never elaborate as to if they are comparing it to cheaper places or if they are working hard and struggling with a fulltime job. I'm not afraid of hard work, but I want to know to what extent will I need to go? Will I need 2 jobs to live comfortably or should a nice receptionist - pay-rate-type job be sufficient for me to live.

Old 08-19-2007, 11:09 PM

19 posts, read 112,309 times
I'm single, and it is going to be tough for me. When you have someone besides you for sharing both finances and emotional support, life can become much better.

I follow this saying; when faced with a tough decision, ask yourself, "will it bring me happiness or pleasure"?! Happiness always wins!!

For me I know it will be tough, but that is where my heart is telling me to go, and like you, I'll take whatever job just so I can get up in the morning and be at peace with myself!

Old 08-20-2007, 04:11 AM

30,286 posts, read 51,759,953 times
You should be fine, if you're willing to have a roommate or two... I'm single and make just under 60K, and haven't had any problems yet! I have one roommate in a 3-bedroom house, where we pay a total of $2100/month. We're thinking of getting a 3rd roomie (she's actually already moved in, but on a "trial basis"), and then each person's share would be only $700 if we split evenly - but I pay more than 1/3, since I get the BIG room, private bathroom & use of the garage. Anyway, rent can definitely be reasonable if you share it... or if you're willing to live in a tiny studio, which isn't really worth the cost IMO. You can also compromise on the neighborhood, and live somewhere that's slightly "less desirable." For instance my neighborhood is very safe/quiet, but not really a central location, and only a few blocks from a dangerous area. If you'll consider something besides SoMa, Presidio, Twin Peaks, etc., there are some good deals to be found. So to summarize, I don't think you'll be homeless.

Old 08-20-2007, 04:14 AM

30,286 posts, read 51,759,953 times
P.S. Salaries for my field (librarianship) in other places are usually between $35-45K, whereas San Francisco jobs pay from $58-70K... not quite equal to the COL difference, but they do make up for some of it!

Old 08-20-2007, 04:26 PM

3 posts, read 13,179 times
Wait, your a girl? Put an add in the paper: attractive, open minded female seeks living arrangement...

Old 08-21-2007, 10:06 AM

358 posts, read 1,913,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scapehartist View Post
Don't be scared of being homeless, it might open your mind a little. Consider a somewhat dilapidated hotels around, then when you finally find a nice place you won't be such an unappreciating american pig. Worst case senerio, you'll have to move to a trailor park in a bordering county. At least you're not mentally ill or a junkie so you have a chance to make the best of it. How bout buying a used mini van and takin the back seats out, blowin up a mattress, and parking next to safeway. Now that's high class homelessness at it's finest.
Wow finally a voice of reason, in between the masses of spoiled rich on city-data. "I make 30k/year and I live in poverty" LOL

Old 08-21-2007, 04:42 PM

62 posts, read 569,385 times
My sister works in the city and commutes down the peninsula. She told me she makes $48k as a receptionist. She rents a nice townhouse for $1800mo and shares that with a roomie. She lives in a very nice neighborhood. I'd say she lives pretty good but I wouldn't want the commuter lifestyle. I think she spends about 1.25 between BART and her car.

Old 08-21-2007, 05:23 PM

20 posts, read 101,638 times
Is it so normal living together in the states, sharing houses? Here in Europe only students do it maybe... And the fact I have emigration plans within 7 years makes me curious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland