Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 09:17 AM

165 posts, read 169,727 times

Advertisements

Did you know there are MORE dogs than kids in the city of San Francisco?
In fact, dog lovers, as a group, is so large that they’re forming a PAC (Political Action Committee) to endorse candidates in various political races.

There is approximately 108,000 children and approximately 150,000 dogs in SF. Figures may be others, but the ratio remains

So why the shifting trend?
1. New parents are moving out of SF to seek lower cost but larger housing
2. Aging boomers, straight and gay couples are choosing to have a dog instead In fact, the “dog effect” is so strong in SF that politicians frequently debate issues related to pets, animal services, shelters, etc.

Seriously, I’m a dog lover, but the fact that there are more dogs than kids is unnerving to me. Are dogs replacing kids?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2014, 09:24 AM

21,737 posts, read 16,350,818 times
Having had a long lifetime of both - love my kids, but happy to keep having dog after dog

That said, if you miss seeing scobs and scobs of kids around SF, head down to the Marina Green and Crissy Field. Wall to wall strollers, kids, AND dogs! No one told this neighborhood about trending away from making babies.

Old 10-28-2014, 09:59 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,450,610 times
That families have had to largely abandon SF is nothing new or surprising. There probably isn't a huge concentration of families in Manhattan, either. Probably the only people who can actually have families and own property in either location are multi-millionaires.

Old 10-28-2014, 10:04 AM

578 posts, read 1,294,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Feltser View Post
2. Aging boomers, straight and gay couples are choosing to have a dog instead In fact, the “dog effect” is so strong in SF that politicians frequently debate issues related to pets, animal services, shelters, etc.

Seriously, I’m a dog lover, but the fact that there are more dogs than kids is unnerving to me. Are dogs replacing kids?
Wouldn't it be easier to have a small dog in a studio than it would be to have a child? You can just have someone come take the dog out at noon for a walk, but definitely can't do that with a kid...

Old 10-28-2014, 10:08 AM

3,980 posts, read 8,988,712 times
It's been this way off and on for many years. Cost of living is extremely high, the demographics are young, and the school system has been a disaster (had been lottery based).

What's strange to me is how landlords here are notoriously dog unfriendly, yet there's still so many dogs!

Old 10-28-2014, 12:29 PM

136 posts, read 196,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
...the school system has been a disaster (had been lottery based).
There are some bad schools, but your "disaster" is a myth. There are many good public schools too.

Old 10-28-2014, 12:31 PM

2,220 posts, read 2,801,359 times
Articles from the New York Times and City Journal about this phenomenon in SF and some other cities. These cities have gentrified and de-ghettoized themselves, but at the price of becoming cities of "singletons" (and sometimes gays), and not places to raise families:

http://www.city-journal.org/2013/23_3_childless-cities.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/03/24/national/24childless.html?pagewanted=all

Takeaway quote: "Even the partial rebirth of American cities since then hasn’t been enough to lure families back. The much-ballyhooed and self-celebrating “creative class”—a demographic group that includes not only single professionals but also well-heeled childless couples, empty nesters, and college students—occupies much of the urban space once filled by families. Increasingly, our great American cities, from New York and Chicago to Los Angeles and Seattle, are evolving into playgrounds for the rich, traps for the poor, and way stations for the ambitious young en route eventually to less congested places."

Last edited by NickB1967; 10-28-2014 at 12:49 PM..

Old 10-28-2014, 12:34 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,186,228 times
It's the same in Seattle, for the same reasons and has been for years now. There are also more cats than dogs or kids. That one stumps me.

In Seattle, it's cats, dogs and kids — in that order | FYI Guy | Seattle Times

Old 10-28-2014, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Feltser View Post
Did you know there are MORE dogs than kids in the city of San Francisco?
In fact, dog lovers, as a group, is so large that they’re forming a PAC (Political Action Committee) to endorse candidates in various political races.

There is approximately 108,000 children and approximately 150,000 dogs in SF. Figures may be others, but the ratio remains

In inner cities that are not ghettoes, yes, they are. And for the two reasons you describe. I would add a third: Cities like San Francisco, that is, inner cities that have gentrified, so they are no longer ghettoes, are simply *too expensive* for families. Family raising has become a thing of the suburbs and exurbs, and it has *always* been much more a thing of the rural areas.

Old 10-28-2014, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
It's the same in Seattle, for the same reasons and has been for years now. There are also more cats than dogs or kids. That one stumps me.

In Seattle, it's cats, dogs and kids — in that order | FYI Guy | Seattle Times
More fun to play with (often indoor) cats in the rain than doggies, which need outdoor space?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland