Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 09:07 PM

206 posts, read 483,695 times

Advertisements

We are coming into SF for the day and meeting some family at Union Square. One family is staying in Union Square, but I'm curious if we really want our young kids exposed to the elements there. Is it easy to find parking for a dinner down that way, and then maybe go somewhere more quiet to catch a hotel?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2014, 09:40 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,330,591 times
LOL "the elements?" Are you talking about the weather?

Old 10-29-2014, 09:58 PM

3,980 posts, read 8,988,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calien View Post
We are coming into SF for the day and meeting some family at Union Square. One family is staying in Union Square, but I'm curious if we really want our young kids exposed to the elements there. Is it easy to find parking for a dinner down that way, and then maybe go somewhere more quiet to catch a hotel?
Hmmm... "Elements"?

It'll be okay... The world is not all perfect and happy and clean. My kids call them "hobos". I explain to them that they are very sad people that have terrible problems.... Some can't even fix their problems. It can be a teaching moment. So yeah... I think you should expose your kids to ALL kinds on human beings--even if they don't smell good. Some of them are homeless Vietnam vets. Some are runaways that were molested and/or abused and now on drugs. I knew some if these people... Some were mentally ill.

If you mean weather... Well... i doubt you meant that, so I won't answer that.

Park at the Sutter/Stockton garage. It's well lit and a popular garage.

Old 10-29-2014, 10:20 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,330,591 times
I've never seen "hobos" in Union Square. Gone there during the day and night. Maybe I've just been lucky, or maybe I was too busy looking at all the stores to notice.

If it's not hobos or weather, is the OP referring to men holding hands? Honestly, I'm completely at a loss as to what someone wouldn't want their children to see in Union Square. Most people bring their children TO Union Square, like, intentionally. Especially during Christmas time when it's all dolled up. It's a family tradition for thousands. At night, even.

Oh wait, is it the high priced clothing?

Old 10-30-2014, 09:13 AM

483 posts, read 842,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calien View Post
...and then maybe go somewhere more quiet to catch a hotel?

Most of the hotels are fairly stationary and easy to catch.

Old 10-30-2014, 09:40 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,745,974 times
We're talking about Union Square in SF, not Times Square in NYC 20 years ago.

Old 10-30-2014, 10:52 AM

4,038 posts, read 4,863,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
I've never seen "hobos" in Union Square.
They used to line up along the sidewalk on the west side of the square, in front of the businesses over there. Then they were gone for a couple of years. Maybe the city had a new day program for the homeless? Or businesses convinced the cops to rustle them out? I don't know if they're back or not. But they're harmless. Just panhandlers.

There's a parking garage under Union Sq. itself, OP. It's probably pricey, but convenient for shoppers.

Old 10-30-2014, 12:15 PM

43,659 posts, read 44,393,687 times
Hobos in Union Square? I am surprised to hear that although I have been to Union Square for a long time, I don't remember it ever been overrun by hobos!

Old 10-30-2014, 01:39 PM

3,980 posts, read 8,988,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Hobos in Union Square? I am surprised to hear that although I have been to Union Square for a long time, I don't remember it ever been overrun by hobos!
I don't think I said "overrun" so please refrain from saying things that weren't said. It's just a general, strange term my kids use to describe panhandlers or homeless folk. I dunno why or where they heard it from.

I'm from the City, used to work on Post, one block away, and yes, there are some "hobos" in/around the square. You only need to walk a block away for more panhandlers. You don realize that the Tenderloin is very close to the area? But you seem to have missed the point of my post entirely.

Old 10-30-2014, 03:59 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,278,655 times
I'm not sure when people have gone to Union Square without seeing bums/homeless. This must be some magical time of year, because I see them all the time. Union Square is right next to the TL, so I'd think it would be strange to NOT see any of them. Now, is it a reason to shelter your children's virgin eyes? If you're expecting SF to be like Disneyland, then yeah maybe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland