Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 08:40 AM

6,416 posts, read 8,276,539 times

Advertisements

No, clearly they were both wrong. The mother should have controlled her child, and the twenty year old should have kept her mouth shut in the first place. In the eyes of the law, the mother committed assault and should face jail time though. Hard to argue otherwise. I find it really interesting that people think assaulting someone for speaking their mind is justifiable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2014, 08:43 AM

14,679 posts, read 14,641,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
No, clearly they were both wrong. The mother should have controlled her child, and the twenty year old should have kept her mouth shut in the first place. In the eyes of the law, the mother committed assault and should face jail time though. Hard to argue otherwise.
"Controlled her child"...right.
Here's a pretty good op piece for your perusal:
Dear parents, you need to control your kids. Sincerely, non-parents - The Matt Walsh Blog

Old 11-05-2014, 08:47 AM

6,416 posts, read 8,276,539 times
You know, I don't have kids, nor do I want them. I bite my tongue most of the time because I'm somewhat sympathetic to parents and I realize you can't rationalize with a small child. That said, parents don't get to play the victim/persecution card. You made the choice to have kids and it affects other people. I'll be the bigger person and let it go, but quit acting like parents should always get a free pass for having an out of control kid. My parents hired a baby sitter when they went out, and when I acted up, I got punished. This woman totally lost control of her emotions and acted out with violence. 100% inexcusable and y'all need to quit defending her. She's a bad parent for setting such a terrible example and terrible human being for assaulting another person.

Old 11-05-2014, 08:48 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
First off, I hate screaming kids at stores and violence is not the answer and the mom was definitely in the wrong for that, but after watching the story, I dont care for this "victim's" disposition at all and get the inclination that she was probably much more aggresive than she is claiming. She admits this is not the first time confronting the parents of screaming children, then she admitted telling the mother to go to hell and then after all is said and done, then she implies that her right to speak her mind gives her license to go around policing people and being rude is who she is, to heck with common sense.

Well Ms. Thing, sometimes acting like that gets us beaten up.

fyi.

Woman punched after asking mother to quiet down child | www.ktvu.com
No one has the right to get physical with anyone else unless it is self defense.
Both of these women are stupid and lack common sense and control of their emotions.

Old 11-05-2014, 08:55 AM

4,576 posts, read 9,160,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
"Controlled her child"...right.
Here's a pretty good op piece for your perusal:
Dear parents, you need to control your kids. Sincerely, non-parents - The Matt Walsh Blog
Hit the nail on the head.

Old 11-05-2014, 09:02 AM

21,734 posts, read 16,341,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
It sounds like another 20something mellenial acting obnoxious.
Never heard: "You kids get off my lawn!!"? People of all ages act obnoxious. We're gifted as a species in this respect. Why, just consider the dialogue we read here on the forum everyday!

But seriously (ok, not so much), as a grampa now, raising a coupla kids behind me in the rear view mirror, and watching them grown, now juggling their own little handfuls, I see / hear the tantrums in the stores and I crack up. Somebody else's turn in the barrel. Poor bastards.

And if the parent sees me chuckling, I just give 'me a wink. And the kid too. Occasionally there's even a bit 'o grampa distraction I can provide. Doesn't always work, but now and then it do.

Folk sho takes ourselves serious don't we?

Old 11-05-2014, 09:12 AM

3,980 posts, read 8,987,173 times
Don't pick fight with stressed out moms! Trust me, the only thing can do to "quiet a child down" is to leave altogether and hang out in the car. You can't control toddlers, --only divert the attention away and/or go outside. I should know--I've had four.

Though I don't necessarily condone violence, but this little brat should have had the decency to keep her mouth shut. It's incredibly stressful when your kid is acting up. Trust me, all you want to do is get the heck out of there or strangle your kid! I'm kinda glad she got punched. Obviously it was in a parking lot, so the screaming kid wasn't even in the store.

People have no common courtesy or manners anymore in this country. I'm with NorCal---this chick was an obnoxious twit. Unless and until you have a kid of your own you should keep your trap shut about toddlers throwing tantrums!

Old 11-05-2014, 09:28 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
The mother sounds a bit trashy and ghetto to wait outside a store to jump someone. But at the same time the 20 year old over-opinionated hipster (very common in the Bay Area lol) doesn't like she approached the situation the right way or really should have even said anything at all. Unless that child was doing something to actually physically affect her like touching her, suck it up and mind your business. A child screaming is indeed annoying but quit acting like it's a jet engine that is physically hurting your ears.

None of us were there but it's still hard not to make assumptions. It's not as simple as "control your child" when they're throwing a tantrum and the anti-Tantrum fairy just comes and "poof" the child is controlled. But at the same time some parents nowadays do let their kids get away with too much and don't at least try to control them. But there is only so much you can do in public too. I'm sure spanking a child in public would go over real well with the overly sensitive bleeding heart types that think anything aside from a stern talk is child abuse.

Not defending the mother at all but these pushy, overly-opinionated types who think the world revolves around them are unfortunately going to cross the wrong person at times.

Old 11-05-2014, 09:36 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
Don't pick fight with stressed out moms! Trust me, the only thing can do to "quiet a child down" is to leave altogether and hang out in the car. You can't control toddlers, --only divert the attention away and/or go outside. I should know--I've had four.

Though I don't necessarily condone violence, but this little brat should have had the decency to keep her mouth shut. It's incredibly stressful when your kid is acting up. Trust me, all you want to do is get the heck out of there or strangle your kid! I'm kinda glad she got punched. Obviously it was in a parking lot, so the screaming kid wasn't even in the store.

People have no common courtesy or manners anymore in this country. I'm with NorCal---this chick was an obnoxious twit. Unless and until you have a kid of your own you should keep your trap shut about toddlers throwing tantrums!
LOL, I was trying to be a bit more diplomatic but I agree. Kids can be very stressful, especially multiples, and parents can have a short fuse at the wrong time. It really irritates me when people who have never had kids chime in and act like doing this or that should be as easy as it sounds.

I've always told myself I won't be one of those parents with kids throwing tantrums in public but am slowly realizing that likely won't be possible all the time. My twins just turned one so I'm not quite to that stage where tantrums start to happen yet, either that or I've been lucky, but sometimes they like to yell playfully and I can't always get them to quiet down.

Old 11-05-2014, 10:12 AM

3,980 posts, read 8,987,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
You know, I don't have kids, nor do I want them. I bite my tongue most of the time because I'm somewhat sympathetic to parents and I realize you can't rationalize with a small child. That said, parents don't get to play the victim/persecution card. You made the choice to have kids and it affects other people. I'll be the bigger person and let it go, but quit acting like parents should always get a free pass for having an out of control kid. My parents hired a baby sitter when they went out, and when I acted up, I got punished. This woman totally lost control of her emotions and acted out with violence. 100% inexcusable and y'all need to quit defending her. She's a bad parent for setting such a terrible example and terrible human being for assaulting another person.
Exactly...you don't have kids. It's really embarrassing when your kid has a tantrum. At least it was for me. My kid used to scream so loud that I went deaf for a week.

It's not something I had any control over at all. Believe me. I wish I had.

In fact, once I was in Target with my husband and toddler. She had a major tantrum so I told my husband to carry her out of the store while I stood in the checkout. Not only did I hear her from across the store, but she proceeded to yell and cry at my husband, as he carried her out, "Stop!! stop it!! Help...you're hurting me!! Help!". People were staring and wondering if she was being abused or kidnapped! She's still such a drama queen

Talk about mortifying!! My poor husband.

You're probably right about setting a bad example, however. That chick was rotten and entitled in even saying anything, but the mom should have controlled herself in front of her kid (since we can only control ourselves) and not others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland